Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2023, 03:29 AM   #1

Depression

Well, as someone who has been dealing with this struggle my whole life, I thought getting a bike would solve it. I dedicated myself to living frugally for seven months, making payments towards it on layaway. I even had to make the tough decision to almost quit smoking weed (a significant sacrifice for someone like me) to afford it. Eventually, I got the bike, made some modifications, but now, I find myself afraid of it. Every time I hop on the bike, I feel like I'm living on borrowed time. It's crazy, I know you guys probably don't want to hear this, but it's the reality of my situation. I'm scared of a bike that can only reach a speed of 66 mph. I don't know, guys. I thought the bike would fix everything, but nothing has really changed, and now I'm just terrified of it. I suppose I'll have to sell it and accept my unfortunate circumstances in life.

This life is so difficult. I really hoped that a little adrenaline would solve it. Anyway, thanks guys. I am going to step out now.

Old 06-16-2023, 07:04 AM   #2

Speaking from a mental health personal experience getting sober did far more benefit than any form of substance use/abuse...I understand is personal and I have no issue with cannabis as a medicinal plant used correctly, but it can have negative impacts. If you can grow it legally at home I would advise taking that up as a hobby/interest they might have multiple benefits...

2 wheel therapy has its risks the fear is valid the benefit of 2 wheel motion is it requires full mental attention/focus where the mind does not have time to think about other things...

What I can tell is you tried to run away from something and its caught up and bit you in the ass...

to be honest mental health issues cannot be short changed, outpaid or put on layaway...It takes 1 step at a time over many obstacles...

That's why I opted to save a bike from the scrap heap as opposed to saving up and buying new...

As for your bike...you don't have to go fast or any great distance. Maybe look into more slow technical riding like trails/motogymkhana.

Sometimes its just as simple as overcoming a fear rather than running away from it...

But If 2 wheels are not doing it for you then don't force yourself into something unpleasant.

Old 06-16-2023, 09:29 AM   #3

you could regear with sprockets to slow the bike down as far as top end goes. I'm looking more toward off-road riding. I know WV has tons of options like that, but not sure how close they are to you. biking CAN be good therapy. hopefully it will work for you.

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 06-16-2023, 11:31 AM   #4

I think we all have the same basic fears with regards to these 250cc on the street, they are way too slow top end to be safe enough to contend with cars/trucks on highways. with that being said, if you limit your street travel to 55mph roads you should be fine.. i only ride the highways around my neck of the woods that max out at 60mph and steer clear of the 70mph highways

With regard to depression, find things in life that make you laugh, don't worry about others, be silly and laugh inside your head and most importantly have fun... comedy is one of the best forms of therapy i think. For me, i was kinda depressed before and during the start of college with all the anxiety of trying to do well and figure out what i wanted to do, stressing over exams to the point that it would give me severe frequent stomach aches.. i then discovered the Jerky Boys (dating myself here for sure) and laughed and learned to relax and not stress over things as much, which has been my mantra since then.. comedy, being silly, trying not to stress over things, having fun, riding, combined with a lifelong fitness regimen has kept me young at heart and never feeling down for long

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 06-16-2023, 04:29 PM   #5

I have much less stress since I stopped eating anything processed. Just eat Meat vegetables and fruits. By processed I mean nothing out of a box or no meat like sausage or cold cuts that have chemicals added or junk food/chocolate. I do eat bread and occasionally break my rule. You can be allergic to some of that like I am.

Old 06-16-2023, 07:20 PM   #6

Smoking pot will just bring down even more, Its dose nothing for pain. Just a way for the goverment to make more money,they lie to us so much. Have smoked pot all of my life,61 years old and now about to quit. Please seek help,pot is not your answer to your problems. Hope all works out for you,and God Bless You.

Old 06-16-2023, 07:54 PM   #7

Hiding in pot, booze, sex, or even motorcycles won't solve whatever is the root problem of depression. The only way is to confront whatever you are actually hiding from. There are no shortcuts. None. Perhaps a professional can help guide you to find that problem. It can be a difficult journey and I wish you well.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
Smoking pot will just bring down even more, Its dose nothing for pain. Just a way for the government to make more money,they lie to us so much. Have smoked pot all of my life,61 years old and now about to quit. Please seek help,pot is not your answer to your problems. Hope all works out for you,and God Bless You.
+1 on what Buzz said. It's very common for people with depression to try to self-medicate with booze, marijuana, and harder stuff. The temporary relief is just a band-aid, not a solution, as I'm sure you know.

Best thing you could do for yourself is commit to eating healthy, or at least healthier. Look into natural supplements for energy and mood (simple google searches). Check out the nearest natural food and supplements store and talk to someone knowledgeable there.

What we shove into our pie-hole is probably 95% of what makes us healthy or unhealthy. Plus we all need a little exercise, not all that much or that strenuous really. My last doctor visit was my mandatory military retirement physical. In 1997. Other than some traumatic injury, the medical profession is mostly unnecessary if you make the effort to take proper care of yourself and be your own best health advocate.

None of this is difficult. The hard part for many people is the decision to actually do it--i.e. stuff they are attached to that they would be better off giving up. A great help here is the book series, Eat This, Not That. None of this requires eating tasteless vegan food.

Best wishes. Go for it!
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 06-17-2023, 07:58 AM   #9

TominMO Well said sir,a lot of people look for something to help cover up their problems. Eating better,and I don't even know what in most of the food we eat,And beliving in God will help the most, Its a shame that my church dose not even have any kids for Sunday school.I go every week with my 94 year old Mother, and it just makes her day and its so good for me.I did not know everything I did was wrong in Gods eye doing much better. So my thought is Go to church,and quit the pot.Depression is just the easy way to say I have problems,and seems like kids are depressed,they won;t work ,and cry all of the time about their terrible life. Growed up on a dairy farm ,and didn't have time to be depressed. Get a job. Sorry if this sounds mean,but it seams like you brag about smoking pot,and not working a steady job.

Old 06-21-2023, 12:46 PM   #10

I have been through all this and it sounds like others here have too. Giving up booze and weed, reducing stress, exercising every day, and switching to a carnivore diet (or ketovore - a few veggies) has turned my life around. I am absolutely not the same person I was even a year ago, and am enjoying life so much more. Plus I'm getting back to being able to ride better so that is more fun as well.

Old 06-21-2023, 01:46 PM   #11

Hey Zapkin, where are you? You can't make a post like this and just disappear, dude.

While I agree with a lot of what's being said, I have my own issues with bipolar II disorder. I also use cannabis as opposed to the psychotropic medication that had me wanting to commit suicide for a number of reasons. This is a conscious decision that I made AFTER working all 12 steps of, get ready for it, Marijuana Anonymous. It exists!

I have the benefit of accumulating a little wisdom over the course of 53 years of doing time on this planet. The great illusion of prison is that inmates are "incarcerated" and they are the only ones doing time. We are all of us doing a life sentence, planetarily incarcerated. Try to carve out a little happiness for yourself before it's all said and done.

P.S. Sweet Hawk!

Old 06-25-2023, 08:53 PM   #12

bigdano711 What did you do to go to prison? I would hate to be locked in a cell like that.

Old 06-25-2023, 11:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
bigdano711 What did you do to go to prison? I would hate to be locked in a cell like that.
Oh, you're locked in a cell, I guarantee it. Whether you can see it or not doesn't matter. Da Nile ain't just a river in Egypt.

To quote the great Jack Reacher:

"Well, imagine you've never seen it. Imagine you've spent your whole life in other parts of the world being told every day you're defending freedom. And finally you decide you've had enough. Time to see what you've given up your whole life for. Maybe get some of that freedom for yourself. Look at the people. Now tell me which ones are free. Free from debt. Anxiety. Stress. Fear. Failure. Indignity. Betrayal. How many wish that they were born knowing what they know now? Ask yourself how many would do things the same way over again? And how many would live their lives like me."

Old 07-03-2023, 10:21 AM   #14

Thanks for the concern. I am okay. I've been fighting depression since I was 15 years old (51 now). The constant roller coaster gets exhausting. Sometimes I just have to disconnect, turn off my phone and isolate. I know that is probably not healthy, but when I am in the funk and have nothing good to say, I feel it is better for my friends and family if I just stay away.

I think I am over the fear of riding the bike. I had a very bad couple of days and damn near hit a deer.

Bike has 1900 units now. I am about to change the oil for the 4th time. I am still annoyed by the carb I bought on Amazon, but the bike gets me to the store and out in the middle of nowhere when I need to get away from civilization, so I am pretty happy with it.

Thanks for the encouragement fellas. Stay safe.

Old Today, 07:28 AM   #15

I think that you should start smoking weed again. Weed makes you feel more calmer and might give you a boost of confidence.