Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #1

Xr100

Hey guys. Just bought a 2000 XR100 for my son. Seems like a decent little bike. Anyone know what I should look for problem wise? Seems like it should be a fun bike to learn more about riding.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:49 AM   #2

Change the oil ,very often on that bike ,the head gets worn out from the cam then becomes an expensive nightmare .Good thing is honda 80 to about 200cc engines share the same basic block so you can find something that's not a 100 to swap into it easy enough .I suggest the 125 .

Old 06-09-2016, 11:48 AM   #3

It's also cheap insurance to add a filter to the vent hose, if it's not already plumbed into the airbox.

It might be wise to remove the clutch cover and clean out the centrifugal pump. It will require a new pump gasket, since they always tear.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-10-2016, 05:59 PM   #4

filter

Why do you need to have a filter in the engine vent hose??? I do not know about this... I know on the newer stuff it is for EPA..

Old 06-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #5

The reason is that the vent hose constantly inhales and exhales, with each pumping action of the piston. If there is dust present, it will be inhaled into the bottom end. Certainly not very much, but again, a filter is cheap insurance.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #6

I learned something today. I will have to keep that little tidbit in mind when I'm shopping around for a bike for the grandkids.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 06-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #7

Problems on an XR100? Never imagined the possibility. It is one of the most bulletproof little bikes in Creation.

I'm the caretaker of 2 ugly elderly but sweet running XR100's.

I'll add to the above suggestions to service or repalce the bushings in the rear suspension. They get pretty loose and affect the handling a lot.

Both of mine are nearing the point of needing a top end. I figure a couple hundred dollars and a few hours for each. Not necessary now, I figure maybe another 20 years or so lol.

I'll also add don't spend any time or money on 'performance mods'. Enjoy it for what it is.

I have as much fun on the XR as I do on the DRZ. It's all good.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #8

I have probably had a good dozen of the 100's come through my shop with the cam worn through the cylinder head casting ,honestly the worst of any honda 4 stroke I have played with and surprisingly only the 100's seem to have the problems .

Old 06-13-2016, 03:34 PM   #9

I am just learning this. These are the only ones I've had or worked on so I've not had any experiences like that.

Like has been said, change the oil. Very quick easy and cheap. No external filter.

I will remove the filler plug and put a drain pail there and lift the bike on its side and pour the oil out the filler hole and then refill. No tools needed, no bolts to strip. Including getting the bucket and wiping up a spilled drop or two less than a five minute job. IIRC take 1L so maybe $4.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #10

I'd be surprised to learn that there isn't a flat screen filter behind the clutch cover.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #11

Thanks for the replies. I am still trying to get the carb sorted out. Thought I could just give it a good cleaning, but the gas still pours out, so I ordered a rebuild kit. Broke the kick stand last night, so I ordered that as well. Rear bushings seem good right now.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #12

IIRC a replacement Mikuni (or Chinese clone) on eBay is like $30 so ther's an option too. My first XR I used one of those and it worked fine.

Your issue will likely be solved with a new float needle +/- seat. Another possibility is a failed fuel float.

I never had a problem with the kick stand per se but somewhere in the Eastern Washington desert is a kick stand spring that I have no idea how or why it liberated itself. My stock of random springs at home has a servicable replacement so net cost $0.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:13 PM   #13

After your son gains experience, you can install one of those Lifan 200cc mills. They are supposed to be a direct replacement for many Honda vertical singles.