Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #1

New member from South Carolina

Hello All...

New member checking in here from South Carolina... 43 years old and just came to the realization of how much money I can save by leaving the full size SUV in the driveway and using a imported dual sport / enduro

Married with 3 kids and my wife has lost most of her vision and is legally blind, so she has not worked in years, and money is very very tight to say the least here.

My trip to work is 19 miles a day round trip and I work 4 days a week which totals 76 miles.... My Saturn Outlook does not like short trips and nets me about 16 miles to the gallon average during the week, which is roughly 5 gallons of gas totaling about $17 to $18 a week

My trip is all back roads ranging from 35 to 50 miles per hour with no highways or busy roads as I live and work in the country you can say.

I just got my motorcycle permit yesterday and have never ridden a cycle on the road, let alone a dirtbike for nearly 30 years now.

My idea is to use the dual sport just to go to and from work until I get more miles and experience under my belt, then do all I can to try and use her full time to save the most money!

roughly 5 gallons a week versus 1 gallon a week will save me roughly ~$15 a week which is $60 a month or $750 a year in savings

It never snows or ices here, and I can handle the cold and hot so I believe it to be a viable solution. Using a backpack can handle the bread and milk trips as well.

Feelings on my idea on trying to live like this?

Steve

Old 08-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #2

Steve, I'd start here.
http://www.carolinariders.com/forums...splay.php?f=47

Old 08-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #3

Howdy. You've been bitten, eh?

As you state, you've never ridden on the road but you have some dirt bike experience. Long ago experience, but experience nonetheless. Those moves will come back to you. But, even if your state does not require it, take a motorcycle safety course. I have about 47 years experience, 35 of them licensed, and I will be taking my first advanced rider course next season.(I was grandfathered)

Are you mechanically inclined? The care and feeding of a Chinabike can be a bit overwhelming to someone who isn't. Many shops don't want to work on these bikes, either. Quality is a crapshoot, too. Most of the dual sports are geared too low for comfortable hiway travel. That's something that needs to be addressed. Once the bugs are worked out, though, you'll have a decent little scooter.

Instead of a backpack, opt for a rack trunk or some panniers. Many folks adapt large caliber army surplus ammo cans as panniers. Your back will thank you.(I was 43 once)

Invest in safety equipment. I'm an ATGATT guy, All The Gear All The Time. It took one car/bike collision to convince me. At the very least, a helmet and gloves. And no shorts or sandals.

Be aware that the savings on paper probably won't be realized. At first, anyway. The money you save on gas the first few months will get eaten up in repairs and modifications.

Not trying to scare you, just being up front. Although I no longer own a Chinabike, I still commute to work most days on two wheels. I also know a guy who has been car free for eight years. So, it can be done.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 08-17-2013, 02:37 AM   #4

Welcome to these forums, Steve. We are glad you joined us.

Yes, you are on the right track.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #5

Welcome. There is alot more to factor than just gas savings. Tires will eat up your gas savings.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #6

Welcome!

X2 on a motorcycle safety course and on ATGATT.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
Administrator

Welcome to CR!

Old 08-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #8

Thee local county college offers a weekend safety course, and for $239 it sounds like a good deal

After you complete it they give you a road test waiver for dmv

Old 08-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #9

That's a terrific deal where I live! It would cost twice that much here, and there's no getting out of the road test.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #10

I've been riding since 1979, and I used to teach motorcycle rider safety for the state of Idaho. I agree with the others; I strongly encourage you to take a rider safety course. The enrollment fee for that course will be some of the best money you have ever spent.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894