Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #1

TaoTao 125

I was given a TaoTao ATD125D a while back, and it was beaten bad.
The wiring was hacked up, the plastic was smashed, the left floorboard was bent and nearly broken right off, the steering stem was bent, and the tires were flat. One had some holes the size of a 5/16ths drill bit in it!

So I've started transforming it from an automatic, kind of tippy pile of junk to a badass little flat tracker.

Taking my inspiration from the 80s ATC 70 racers, and to a lesser extent the nut jobs in Australia who build crazy laydown 200X motors for them (and bigger!), I've laid out a plan and started some work.

Plans:
125cc pit bike motor from Abibaba in Vancouver
Honda ATC200X carb using a custom manifold
eBay Inner Rotor Kit (IRK)
Custom exhaust

Shorter shocks that are EXTREMELY stiff.
Braced floor boards
Gusseted frame
Cut steering stops
Braced rear fenders
8x6 rear wheels with Carlisle Sport Trail 16.5x6.50-8 tires on the rear
50cc ATV 6 inch wheels with kart tires - rear spares
8x5 1/4 front wheels with LT80/LTZ90 front tires

I've already braced the floor boards, straightened the steering stem, cut the steering stops and gusseted the frame.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:37 AM   #2

Welcome!

Wow, that sounds like it'll ride like a slot car! Please show us pics as you progress. Where do you plan to ride your creation?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #3

Thanks, I'm sure hoping it will!
I have a 160' x 60' riding arena at home, and a 80' x 80' at my grandparents place where I'll be working this out. What I'd really like to do is find somewhere to make a proper flat track, but there's nothing yet.

My cousin has a Zooma 110 that he stuck the TaoTao's 125 motor in, and it's fairly quick. However, it's still a fully automatic. I'm thinking of picking up a XL70 bottom end from Bent Bike in Langley, using the 110 top end with the 4 speed standard bottom end to give him more of a fighting chance :twisted:

I have a pic of where it sits now

Old 01-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #4

Tons of good tech info here: http://www.dratv.com/index.html They have a ton of details about which China products bolt to which Honda engines.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #5

I'm familiar with the Dr, I actually ordered a new exhaust for my dad's CT70 from there. Good people!

I welcome any and all advice on this project. I'm still debating an extended axle or spacers on the back, but the guys I see racing ATC 70s use stock length axle and go kart tires on redilled turned down stock hubs, some with stagger spacers, some not. Ideas?

On another note, would there be any interest in racing these?

Old 01-16-2012, 12:25 AM   #6

A trike tried to kill me once. For me, it's two or four wheels.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
A trike tried to kill me once. For me, it's two or four wheels.
Yeah, they tend to do that. My buddy's WR250 tried to do that, it pounced right on top of me!8O
I should have been more clear, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in racing the mini quads.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #8

My knees hurt just thinking about it, and Son of Weldangrind is now 6'1", so I bet he'll pass as well.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
My knees hurt just thinking about it, and Son of Weldangrind is now 6'1", so I bet he'll pass as well.
I know what you mean, being 6'5 with a 35 inch inseam. Its just too fun sliding these around to pay attention to my knees screaming. I have it on good authority that I look hilarious, fully geared up riding my dad's 70 or my cousin's 110.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #10

That does look like fun. If you are interested I have ct70 engine that may be a good donar. Would require a complete tear down. It would be of the semi auto type.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
That does look like fun. If you are interested I have ct70 engine that may be a good donar. Would require a complete tear down. It would be of the semi auto type.
Thanks for the offer, but shipping would be a killer on that!

Old 01-25-2012, 01:52 AM   #12

Another day, another small step while waiting for my motor to come in.
I've decided to go with a stagger spacer in the back for my one way only flat track, since I'll be using some 8 inch 3/100 wheels. Got the two plates roughed marked out, snapped a pic, then the phone dies
I've roughed out the circle and drilled the holes, now I need to align the bandsaw blade so it'll cut my tubing straight!

Old 01-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster556
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Thanks for the offer, but shipping would be a killer on that!
I could send it to Weld's US address if you are interested. He could pick it up on his next trip.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:40 AM   #14

I'd be happy to. Another option is to send it to my US address in Toaster's name. It's available to anybody for $4.00 per package. Check out www.letterlock.com

Luckily, Langley isn't too far from Sumas, WA. Perhaps there is a similar service in Lynden, WA, which is even closer to Langley.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #15

Again, thanks for the offer, but I'll pass. Perhaps if people hadn't given me too many in high school :roll:

I got my motor on Saturday, and had it mocked up on Sunday. The manual clutch cover on the Zongshen or Lifan 125 is about an inch wider than the auto clutch 125, so the brake master cylinder got in the way. Other things that rubbed are the stock floor board guss
ets, again on the clutch side. I should mention that this is a front clutch motor, with the Honda style head as opposed to the Daytona style or KLX style motors.

I did discover that my rear axle is bent on the left side! :evil: I'm looking into alternatives, but so far have only found info on Loncinengineparts.com, who can't sell to Canadians. I think they require a zip code to pay with a credit card, I don't know. I switches to the DR for my parts needs after that. Anyone know of an axle 25 7/8th or longer, 30mm bearing diameter 112mm bearing length, 28 splines on the brake and sprocket hubs and 24 wheel hub splines?