Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #1

Himo GY125-A - any good?

Sooo, it's come to that moment in a man's life where he gets his son his first bike...

He insists he wants 125, not a 50cc 'ped, and to be fair, we live in very hilly part of the world, so I see his point.
However, I've discovered that insurance for a 125cc bike for a 17 year old in this country is ludicrously expensive, even with a massive excess.

So I'm a bit loathe to spend big bucks on this bike, and as a happy Lifan 200GY rider, I was pleased to find a 2004 Himo GY125-A at what seems like a fair price, just down the road from where i live.

It looks a lot like my Lifan, and although I've had to replace quite a few things over the years, on the whole I think it's been quite good bang per buck.

However, what little research I've done on the Himo is not very encouraging - lots of negative stuff about build quality etc.

So, anyone here have any experience of this model?

Old 07-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #2

Looks like a typical china build to me....to some extent the CG honda clone bikes are pretty typical, so I wouldnt be overly concerned with the name / stickers on the bike.
http://www.usedsandwell.co.uk/classi...lcome_23990320

What condition is it in and how old is it? Sometimes people ask way too much for beat up old china bikes in my opinion. Have you researched what a new bike would cost in the crate delivered?

We assume you have some wrenching aptitude as you are a current china bike owner? If the price is right, I'd say buy it.

How old, tall, and responsible is he? I would imagine that bike even only being a 125 would move pretty good at WOT. I put my son on a 200 hi-bird when he was only 14-15 y/o, 5'5" and a hundred nothing pounds, strictly off road trail riding, the first week he was crashing left and right, in soft sand mind you....by the second / third week he was more capable than I was....something to be said for light weight in soft sand

Old 07-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #3

X2 on everything Wilser said.

I'd love to see a pic of the 125. The cool thing is, you can easily transplant a 200 or 230 into it, when your son is ready.

I'm guessing you're in Canada. Insurance is stupid expensive where I live.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer