Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #1

Exclamation Dow Jones Records And Border Tax

so as of this afternoon , trump may be in agreement with house of rep paul ryan to make a border adjustment tax. Senate pretty much in line with trump. this is the consumer tax (possible 20% tax increase on imported items, basically a vat tax like eu countries do). this is what i believed would happen. what do you think it will do to all our cheap parts, motorcycles etc from asia. just saying. taxes taxes taxes. For instance, the idea is instead of someone making those cheap led aux lights in malaysia or china, some company in Louisiana (our team) may start producing and offering them instead.

also, dow jones had its 10th consecutive all time record high day.

What Say You?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 02-23-2017, 04:43 PM   #2

unless those asian countries open their markets for our goods, I say VAT is the way to go. it's going to reduce their output and they will get the message in their wallets. that's the only thing any business ever responds to.

I just wish they would do the same with off-shore IT work. many companies are doing the same thing in the virtual resource world. same net result. work in our country is lost to those doing it cheaper, but not on equal footing.

stepping off my soapbox now.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #3

I remember reading an article years ago about KFC going to China. It was where I first realized that we were really and truly not on equal footing. The newly introduced restaurant concept was going gangbusters, even over the mom and pop chicken places (due to their lack of consistency), but the catch was--ONLY Chinese citizens could open them up per the Chinese government. At the time, Chinese citizens could move here and do whatever they wanted, but it was not 'equal' which, while not the best example, still shows a lack of equal balance when it comes to business. A friend of our family is engaged to the guy who founded the lesser known, but higher quality competitor to GoPro called Replay XD. They are in the process of moving manufacturing back to the US. He told me about this on Thanksgiving day, 2015, so it was long before Trump. Even then, manufacturers were starting to not see as many benefits of Chinese manufacturing. This might be good for us...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-23-2017, 08:56 PM   #4

So it is not just IT guys. Some accounting work has been shipped to India. As it stands now my team over there is ok at process, but terrible at judgement and non repetitive type transactions.

They have about a 40 % turn over rate which is unacceptable in my line of work. It takes about a year to be useful in my area and about 3 years to be fully functional. with a 40% turn over rate you never really get back your investment in the individual you trained. Also because the error rate is moderate and the filings we do are highly regulated we have an army of onshore US folks keeping track of their performance. I'm not convinced it is a substantial cost savings endeavor. There are risks of regulatory fines and sanctions.

My main issue with it is that I previously had a bench of a couple of highly skilled employees that could react to a rapidly changing environment. These employees were positioned to grow in the company and be very valuable resources. Now I don't have that strong bench. It puts companies at a competitive disadvantage. What is sold as cost cutting doesn't materialize in the magnitude promised.

I think folks where are work are starting to see it, however they have done 3 years worth of damage. That is how long it would take me to rebuild my department to same level of expertise I previously had.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:42 PM   #5

my take on it

we can now get blue jeans at wally world for $10 what the cost savings cost us was a way of life. being able to get a good paying 40 hour a week factory job making blue jeans. the head of the household could work and provide nicely for his family. now folks are struggling with both parents working just to make it working two and sometimes three part time (29 hour) minimum wage jobs just to survive. i will gladly pay the old $30 price to have the old way of life. send something to mexico to sell you will pay an import tax same with canada same with most every other country but us. someone got paid off somewhere to let this happen.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 02-24-2017, 07:46 AM   #6

All I will say is, its ABOUT TIME we get ours! GO TRUMP! I see his wrath already in my unit. We are spooling back up boys! I'm off for duty here shortly for a good long while. Good more money for China Bikes. LOL