Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2017, 08:54 AM   #1

New Hawk 250 Owner!

So yesterday I sold a 03 GSX-R 600 for $1100 in Daytona. Right after I went down to Merrit Island and bought 2 Hawk 250s for $1k!!! What a steal right? They are a bit banged up, one needs a rim, but they seem to run, well one of them for sure as of this morning! One problem, I thought the idle screw was the choke. In my defense, I've never had a carburated engine, and the only choke I've ever dealt with was on the 03 GSX-R, but that was more of a cold start idle lever thingy....

Maybe I should look at a thread that tells me exactly what I'm looking for? Does anyone have a link?

Basic use of the choke?
Stock carb setting?

I plan on getting the Mikuni carb for both of them.

Where is the choke on this thing?

Last edited by Cruisin_with_CJ; 05-31-2017 at 05:06 PM.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:28 PM   #2

Welcome aboard!

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-01-2017, 09:21 AM   #3

Welcome!

Sounds like a great deal! Ok, let's see some pictures! Is it a front or rear rim that you need? There is a growing number of Florida people on here.

Have a great day!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 06-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #4

Welcome! Thanks for joining us.

Pics would help us a lot. IIRC, the choke on the Hawk is mounted at the left hand grip and is cable-actuated. A previous owner may have removed it, but that would create a poor-running condition (more on that later).

Show us a pic of either side of the carb and we'll go from there.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #5

I found the choke, it's on the carb underneath the seat kinda, I can reach it while sitting on it.

I need a front rim for the red hawk. I have one carb on the way with jets. ordering the next one soon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red hawk rim.jpg (90.6 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg blue hawk 1.jpg (84.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg red hawk 2.jpg (90.1 KB, 98 views)

Old 06-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #6

Did you order a Mikuni? A Mikuni will make you happy when it's time to buy new jets.

Rather than buy another front wheel like the original, this is an excellent time to lace an aluminum rim to the existing hub. I'm using an old DID rim from an early '80's XR200 on my bike. If you prefer to buy a new rim to lace to the hub, Warp 9 is a good economical choice. Wheel truing stands are quite reasonably priced.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-02-2017, 05:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Did you order a Mikuni? A Mikuni will make you happy when it's time to buy new jets.

Rather than buy another front wheel like the original, this is an excellent time to lace an aluminum rim to the existing hub. I'm using an old DID rim from an early '80's XR200 on my bike. If you prefer to buy a new rim to lace to the hub, Warp 9 is a good economical choice. Wheel truing stands are quite reasonably priced.
Yes i got one of the carbs today, about to order the other one, also received the jets, looking for best fl fit now lol.
Thanks for the rim advice, I will keep that in mind