Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #1

Exclamation Apollo DB-007 - Carby, Carby, Carby

New member, first post. Mechanically inclined. New to riding with the responsibility of maintaining, have rode on friends machines here and there over the years.

I can get wordy - but I tell good stories...i'll do my best...

Picked up the Apollo DB-007 in black/green. I have had it about 3 months now.

Had some issues with the stock carby, realized it was riveted - junk - so I researched a bit and seemed people had decent results, so I bought the "Mikuni" for $30 from Amazon, along with the Uni filter. It ran good compared to the stock carby - but it seemed to have an increased idle after riding for a bit. What I mean is after about 20 minutes, I noticed the bike would start idling-up as I was coasting. Seemingly as if the throttle was stuck - but it was not that I could tell. It would bog if I got on the throttle at that point. Seemed I could use the rear brake and get it to calm down a bit briefly.

Took the carb apart, cleaned it, noticed some burs, cleaned those, used carby cleaner and cleaned it again - got it back together then it leaked from the overflow as soon as I turned on the gas. Turned out that I didn't get the junk screwed slammed in all the way after messing with it. 1/8 of a turn more and it stopped leaking. Continued to have the idle-up issue, so I said eff it. I bought a real Mikuni from Summit Racing. I didn't get any other jets just yet as I still haven't gotten that far into the tuning, but I am getting there.

It only took about 3 days to get it. Sahweet!
Just put it on last night and found a few fun things pretty quick.
I figured I would share this, as it would have been super helpful to know ahead of time:

1. The real Mikuni carb hits the frame when using the factory intake manifold. So, I managed to get it on with one screw in the manifold with no air gaps - obviously not riding far at all like that, but it was enough so I could start it and hear that glorious purrr. I found this YunShuo-Adjustable-Carburator-Manifold-50CC-125CC on Amazon - $11 shipped, but 2-3 weeks out.
2. The real Mikuni carb has a larger gas inlet than the factory carb or the imitation Mikuni. Thus, none of the gas lines fit that I have on-hand. However, after I replaced the air filter I ended up with spare parts from this little overflow that came off the back of the factory air filter. I had never seen this before...assumed it was related to CA emissions or something. Later I found it in the manual, but forgot what they refer to it as. Ended up cutting a piece from that and the factory fuel line fit snugly inside, works for now.
3. The UNI filter I bought for the imitation Mikuni does not fit on the real Mikuni, it's close - but no cigar. Ironically enough, the factory air filter does fit on the real Mikuni. So I will be buying another Uni, or I will see if I can trim some material away on the one I have... it's not like I will be using the imitation Mikuni carb, but maybe someone else wants the set.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but again, I just wanted to put this info out there and maybe someone else can know more before they make unnecessary purchases.