Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2018, 12:51 PM   #1

New and looking for recommendations

Hello All!

So me and the wife have Yamahas and Honda ATVs. We are looking into getting dirt bikes now, even my 6 year old wants too. He handles the quads with ease. Not wanting to spend a ton on them, and after doing lots of research it brought me here. So looking for recommendations. For the kid was looking at Apollo 70cc, and the wife the Apollo 125cc. For myself was looking at either doing the Apollo 250cc, or since I like riding on the road as well going to the enduro route. Not sure because of power I should even care about getting enduro or just go straight dirt. For companies it seems Apollo is one of the top Chinese one, plus lot of parts around. If I go enduro the top contenders are Bashan Enforcer, Storm, and what is said to be the Hawk 2, which is suppose to be street legal in all state, but CA I think. We plan to ride trails and mild off roading. So any advice you could give would be great, thanks!

Old 07-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #2

Welcome! I and my mrs. are new to this as well. There is a ton of info here, with a great group of people. Read thru and you will find many answers, the knowlege of people on this site is overwhelming!

Old 07-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #3

welcome your on are on the right path ,sounds like your doing your home work ,plans for the dirt bikes sounds great, the enduro ,the hawk there are tons of videos of guys youtube watch them tough bikes ,couse its the best bang for you buck, the bashan storm too, i would say is for the shorter rider ,they the apollo 250 the bashan storm an hawk 250 all have the same 229cc engine different sprokets ,the hawk has more off road tires then the storm ,research an more an you will get there but again sounds like your on the right road i have 2017 hawk myself ,they all need some recomened maint an upgrades but easy an cheap fun,on both enduro bikes from 200.00 to $400.00 gets them upgraded things like the stock chain are junks ,lots of guys go with mikuni carb upgrade some work with the stock one ,but all the info is out there on them both,they all need grease to the steering post fork oil swing arm greace,an an oil change before you run them ,10w40 cycle oil or 15w40

i think there are only 2 states that wont register the hawk ,they have a sticker from china says off road use only ,but there great for on road ,mine will see 95% on road rideing,there is a thread showing the states approved

Old 07-02-2018, 11:24 AM   #4

Thanks all. Yea I have been doing a ton of research on here and YouTube. After that I'm probably going with straight dirt bike for myself as well instead of enduro. I have regular street bike for that anyways. So I'm ordering 3 Apollos from Don over at apscusa. Will post pics with our family of Apollos when I get them together.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:11 PM   #5

I have the apollo 250. I have ridden the crap out of it lately. It has never broken anything or any bolts came loose. I changed the carb, 12 tooth front sprocket, plastic gas tank. I keep the oil changed after every other ride. Incredible engine. I have ridden in the mountains up things that no one should be doing. It climbs like a mountain goat. I have never needed any more power. Only mod left that I want is the rear shock. It is just too stiff for me.

Enjoy your apollos!

Old 07-02-2018, 03:11 PM   #6

I read they updated the 250 for 2017 I believe. Redesign stronger frame, stronger chain, new rear suspension and a few other things. How has changing the front sprocket effected the bike? Why change the gas tank? Thanks for the advice!

Old 07-02-2018, 05:50 PM   #7

Welcome to here!

There is no such thing as 'Hawk 2'; that is one of the many retailers who rename these bikes to their liking.

RPS (Ricky Power Sports) www.therps.net manufacture the Hawk and the Magician. Both use the same engines, and both are technically only EPA certified as 'off-road' dirt bikes. However, numerous states have allowed them to be registered for the street--you can look at the thread regarding which states have plated them. The Hawk is your better bike for off-roading vs. the Magician, and is one of the best bargains if your state has allowed it to be registered. Numerous videos, especially from Motocheez, on YouTube, as well as threads here. Megadan is a great source. Lowest cost for the most part, as far as Chinese enduros go.

Bashan bikes are 49 state street legal, Californians need not apply. They make the Storm, Brozz, and Enforcer (I think this one is called the Hawk 2 by some retailers and is the Hawk near-twin). Bashan are good quality--arguably better than the Hawk, as far as out of the box, but once a Hawk is set up, those are supposed to be great as well. I think the Bashans generally come with street friendly gearing, including the Enforcer (Hawk near-twin). There are no direct website(s) for these other than for the Brozz via Peace, as the Enforcer and Storm are found via online retailers. https://peacesports.com/Products/New...ort=Price-Desc Slightly more expensive as far as Chinese enduros go.

CSC has the TT250 which is a near-twin of the Hawk as well. It is arguably the best of the bunch (I will mention a couple more which are a notch above the rest) simply because CSC is actually the importer/dealer in that they assemble and PDI the bike which is sent to you literally ready to ride. And they assemble and PDI it correctly. The most expensive of the Chinese enduros (besides the Brozz from Peace) https://www.cscmotorcycles.com/inven...-CA----9670131

The 'premium' bikes are the full-size enduros from Pitster Pro/GPX. https://pitsterpro.com/index.php?rou...tegory&path=15

For street/off-road, there is the SSR XF250. It is OEM by a company called Qingqi who are apparently the manufacturers for Suzuki's smaller engines in some capacity. We used to have a bike from Qingqi called the XF200 which used an engine near-identical to the DR200. The SSR version is said to be a better bike than the DR200. There are a few members with them who have threads on the bike. It seems to have the 'stuff' to justify its $3150 MSRP (it hasn't changed much in 5 or so years when it had an MSRP of $28xx) http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/store/...duro-index.php

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-02-2018, 05:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP5150 View Post
I read they updated the 250 for 2017 I believe. Redesign stronger frame, stronger chain, new rear suspension and a few other things. How has changing the front sprocket effected the bike? Why change the gas tank? Thanks for the advice!
The frame is really really strong. The chain is fine. Just keep it lubed and clean. I take mine off and clean it in kerosene. Let it dry and soak it good in chain lube. I only ride it on trails. Not trying to out run anything. I could have kept the original sprocket but just wanted a little more slow speed grunt. Makes a huge difference in tight twisting trails. I changed the tank because I had heard of some of the metal tanks cracking where the tab at the bottom bolts to the frame. I got the tank, sprocket, and gas cap. They were cheap and they shipped to the usa.

http://store.orionmotors.nl//index.p...sort=2a&page=5

I ordered the parts for the street legal water cooled bike. Most but not all the parts will fit your Apollo. You can poke around on the site and find all kinds of stuff. I can't find an American site that carries that many parts for these bikes. Rear suspension is the worst thing on the bike. It is just way to stiff. It was made to carry up to like 350 lbs. I am 190. I am in contact with a company now to get a lighter rate spring.

You can check thru the chinariders site and find a few threads on changing the shock for a Honda 250 shock. I just don't want to weld or cut to get it to fit.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #9

Thanks for all the great info all. We got all Apollos, DB21, 007, and the 250cc DB 36 or whatever its called. Have all the bikes together and running. Does anyone know on the 007 and the 21 which way the chokes are suppose to work? On my 250 it says down is choke is off in book, but in the books for the 21 and 007 it says up is choke off, and down is on. For running though both only stay running if the chokes is down like my 250. Plus both the 21 and 007 I can get to start and idle normal, but after while the idle kicks up after warming up. I thought maybe choke is on so i switch it the other way and it kills them right away. Any advice? Was thinking of switching out the carbs for them both, if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks!