Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2018, 10:42 PM   #1

Grin Bashan storm on the high way and went well!!

Just came home from work, got tired of taking local roads so i said screw it! Jumped on the high way and it kept up more than fine! 17 minute ride and i got up to 66 STOCK.had my phone GPS speedometer. Gonna do sprocket change soon but i have no complaints! This bike holds its own on the high way!

Old 07-26-2018, 10:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalorider View Post
Just came home from work, got tired of taking local roads so i said screw it! Jumped on the high way and it kept up more than fine! 17 minute ride and i got up to 66 STOCK.had my phone GPS speedometer. Gonna do sprocket change soon but i have no complaints! This bike holds its own on the high way!

Nice! Our speed limit here is 75 mph so I'm not even gonna try hahaha.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:33 PM   #3

I meant to ask how your tires were, did they wobble or walk around much at speed? Grooved road sections causes mine to walk pretty bad and I have felt the tread wiggle in some cornering moments.

I have 1,300 km on mine stock with the stock tubes and no problems yet. I have been using about 35 psi in both, I fear the rain so am running them a tad low of what is printed on them (40psi), rain is often here lol. For off road the only times I have gotten into the real stuff I forgot to lower the air pressure but they were great until I hit the thick wet river gravel. The front just sunk instantly and the rear span out leaving me stuck a lot. I wonder how they do on snow/ice.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalorider View Post

I think Bashan gear theirs for the open road (vs. off-road like the Hawk) from stock; I think you should play with exhaust, carb (at least jetting), NGK plug, etc. before gearing (I have to admit, have not read any threads you might have started if you have tried these other mods already). How many miles are on the bike? If new(er), you have more speed once the bike gets worked in.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-27-2018, 08:34 AM   #5

@Buffalorider - Awesome that you got the Storm registered and on the highway. After doing some mods to my Hawk...rejetting the carb to a #120, installing the aftermarket exhaust as well as the 17T/45T sprockets, it gets up into the 60mph range in 5th gear. I have about 100 miles on the engine now so it's getting closer to being broken-in. I tend to stay off the highways and stick to regular roads where the speed limit is generally under 55mph (knobby tires definitely wobble once you're above 50mph). We'll have to compare bikes at some point since you're in the area!
1. Mikuni VM26 Carburetor w/#115 main jet
2. 17T/45T JT sprockets
3. JT 428 X-ring chain
4. Air box mod
5. Hawk Digital Cluster
6. Aftermarket IMS shift lever
7. Performance Aftermarket Exhaust
8. 295mm Nitrogen Gas Monoshock, 20W oil front forks

Old 07-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipToothy View Post

Limits out here are 65, 75, and 80 mph depending on where I ride on the Interstate... and some of you wonder why I tuned up the little Bashan 200 to push 90 mph

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
Limits out here are 65, 75, and 80 mph depending on where I ride on the Interstate... and some of you wonder why I tuned up the little Bashan 200 to push 90 mph

Once I'm above 70-75mph that's too fast even on my Harley which weighs 650 lbs. and can reach speeds above 100mph wide open. Feels like my helmet is going to rip off my head at that speed.
2. 17T/45T JT sprockets
3. JT 428 X-ring chain
4. Air box mod
5. Hawk Digital Cluster

Old 07-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Ours is 55 so wasn't bad at all! I def would not try at 75mph speed limit lol

Old 07-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #9

Quote:
I meant to ask how your tires were, did they wobble or walk around much at speed? Grooved road sections causes mine to walk pretty bad and I have felt the tread wiggle in some cornering moments.

I have 1,300 km on mine stock with the stock tubes and no problems yet. I have been using about 35 psi in both, I fear the rain so am running them a tad low of what is printed on them (40psi), rain is often here lol. For off road the only times I have gotten into the real stuff I forgot to lower the air pressure but they were great until I hit the thick wet river gravel. The front just sunk instantly and the rear span out leaving me stuck a lot. I wonder how they do on snow/ice.
My tires were fine, no wobbles at all. The window factor is quite crazy though. Its a light bike so the wind tossed it a little but wasn't bad. Different gearing will make it stop screaming though! I've ridden in rain 3 times, not bad, just I got a little slower.

Last edited by Buffalorider; 07-27-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I think Bashan gear theirs for the open road (vs. off-road like the Hawk) from stock; I think you should play with exhaust, carb (at least jetting), NGK plug, etc. before gearing (I have to admit, have not read any threads you might have started if you have tried these other mods already). How many miles are on the bike? If new(er), you have more speed once the bike gets worked in.
I have only 500 miles on it and I used soft break in method for sure. Gonna oil change soon actually. I'm getting NGK plug soon as well. Carb is fine for now but I will be upgrading things soon!

Old 07-27-2018, 01:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWNY View Post
@Buffalorider - Awesome that you got the Storm registered and on the highway. After doing some mods to my Hawk...rejetting the carb to a #120, installing the aftermarket exhaust as well as the 17T/45T sprockets, it gets up into the 60mph range in 5th gear. I have about 100 miles on the engine now so it's getting closer to being broken-in. I tend to stay off the highways and stick to regular roads where the speed limit is generally under 55mph (knobby tires definitely wobble once you're above 50mph). We'll have to compare bikes at some point since you're in the area!
I had a Chinese bike with knobbies and it got wobbly at 45mph so I know what you mean! I was kinda off intimidated before going on highway but it was late, I wanted to be home and not many cars were out. The storm surprise me! And yeah I would like come compare and ride. Sundays I'm always free to meet at mutual spot!

Old 07-27-2018, 01:35 PM   #12

Quote:
You're a rare case and I'm impressed!! I'll work on my bike but the most I'll comfortably get out of it is 68-70mph and that will do more than for a 55mph limit. You must have a lot mods!!

Old 07-27-2018, 01:59 PM   #13

My list of mods is buried somewhere around here in my thread

Denso Coil on Plug, Denso Iridium Spark Plug, "tuned" air filter/intake system, custom exhaust, 17/39 sprockets, cheapo Mikuni carb upgrade, and I put the fatty bike on a much needed diet to name a few things I did...

Still working on finding time (need my other motorcycle on the road first) to port/polish (my "think outside the box" way) and deck the head for better flow and a slightly higher compression ratio... also want to see if I can get a custom piston kit made for the thing too... lighter and stronger is always nice to have

I know I won't be happy until I can either reach triple digits or I find out a 197cc China Bike will travel back in time if I go any faster

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:07 PM   #14

Quote:

I know I won't be happy until I can either reach triple digits or I find out a 197cc China Bike will travel back in time if I go any faster

If your bike can reach 88mph, you might be in luck with one of these on there...

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/mandnme...RoC2g0QAvD_BwE
2. 17T/45T JT sprockets
3. JT 428 X-ring chain
4. Air box mod
5. Hawk Digital Cluster

Old 07-27-2018, 07:01 PM   #15

Quote:
My list of mods is buried somewhere around here in my thread

Denso Coil on Plug, Denso Iridium Spark Plug, "tuned" air filter/intake system, custom exhaust, 17/39 sprockets, cheapo Mikuni carb upgrade, and I put the fatty bike on a much needed diet to name a few things I did...

Still working on finding time (need my other motorcycle on the road first) to port/polish (my "think outside the box" way) and deck the head for better flow and a slightly higher compression ratio... also want to see if I can get a custom piston kit made for the thing too... lighter and stronger is always nice to have

Daaaang son, nice work. Our 250/229/239cc or whatever they are supposed to be won't even touch 70 mph.

Pics would be great, I'll dig for the mods thread and link it unless someone beats me to it.