Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2019, 11:26 AM   #1

230 cc

Kawasaki has a new kid in the block. All new 230cc. I doubt the USA market will tolerate it so don’t look for it at your local dealership. She’s pretty tho )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DF077358-8D2B-448F-B0C7-8F3D9EFDA43B.jpg (21.1 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg F5ECBC85-69EB-4193-B077-28E439C431E9.jpg (20.3 KB, 288 views)
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 05-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #2

Interesting. I take it it's rear disk?? Regular forks too. I wonder if it's carb or injected and what the price point will be? I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the Big Four make something that will compete with the Chinese dual sports (as crazy as that sounds).
Fact is, there's a ton of us out there that opted not to buy a Japanese bike mainly due to price point.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-22-2019, 01:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the Big Four make something that will compete with the Chinese dual sports (as crazy as that sounds).
Fact is, there's a ton of us out there that opted not to buy a Japanese bike mainly due to price point.
I am somewhat certain that Zongshen started the small displacement adventure bike movement withthe RX3.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-22-2019, 02:05 PM   #4

The small displacement adventure bike is not a chinese invention. The Jap did it first but the US is not a good market for small displacement or anything that's small, so they never bother to offer them there.
A good example of this, the Ford Ranger, Toyota Hilux, chevy S10... Small Pick Ups, that are great but they don't fit the taste of the average US buyer, so what's the point in trying to sell them in the US???
Hell i still wonder why Fiat/Chrysler is selling the Renegade in the US Market. Is not even that cheaper than a wrangler.

The same goes the other way around, a lot of bigger bikes, trucks, etc are not avaible in other markes just because the buyers just won't buy them.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:33 PM   #5

The new Kawasaki 230 is 19 horsepower stock. Wonder what makes theirs so much betthan ours.
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 05-22-2019, 09:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I am somewhat certain that Zongshen started the small displacement adventure bike movement withthe RX3.
Even BMW hopped on the small adv bike bandwagon with the GS310 starting at $5,600.00

Old 05-22-2019, 10:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Agreed.... When I first saw the RX3 I thought it was a really unique bike and a great concept. Then the price settled it for me. Nothing anyone had/has touched it in pricing and looks. Its' greatest "defect" is the resell......should have kept mine, tarped it and kept it around for a buzz now and then. It was fun.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-22-2019, 10:14 PM   #8

Quote:
I don't know if they started it but they sure have stirred the pot... Still stirring it from what I can tell. Regardless who started it this is exactly, IMO, the kick in the ass the big boys needed. They got so wrapped up in huge displacement engines and matching profit margins they alienated the "economy" rider...at least they did me. And as far as the imagined exclusive superior service of being a proud paying member into the dealer network money pit....gag..... Keep your appointment only 75 dollar an hour shop fees for the uninformed. Scraped knuckles and dirty fingernails can be very rewarding.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-22-2019, 10:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipToothy View Post
The new Kawasaki 230 is 19 horsepower stock. Wonder what makes theirs so much betthan ours.
Well not much really, just some fine tuning, better QC and mostly a better swingarm.
I bet that the KLX 230 is mostly made from parts made in china but assembled somewhere else. Hell looking at the bike it screams china made.
It looks like a motorcycle made for developing countries, which is also a very big market.
India:1,367,017,897
Brazil: 212,216,586
Big markets with a lot people that like motorcycle but not a big income.
So what's the best solution?? Tell a Chinese company to build it for you and as and added bonus allow them to copy some of your designs. It's a win-win for everyone.

-The big japanese brands can sell cheap bikes, which means $$$ for them
-The Chinese can copy some good engines and sell them cheaper than the jap, which means $$$ for them.
-Those who want a cheap bike with a big brand name, can get an xr150, KLX 230, XTZ 150, ETC
-Those who want a cheap bike and don't want to pay for the brand can get the chinese version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
the kick in the ass the big boys needed. They got so wrapped up in huge displacement engines and matching profit margins they alienated the "economy" rider...at least they did me.
Well, let's be honest in the US, it's "go big or go home". So why waste money on a small cc motorcycle that most likely won't sell as good as they want.

The big brand never forgot about the "economy riders" is just that in the US, there are not that many to make it worth.
A good example of this is the Honda XR200r, for the US Market it was discontinued, because there was not a market for it. On the other hand, they kept selling and making them for other markets for another 20 years.

Sadly it's just business.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:01 PM   #10

I’ve been wondering if there is a poor man’s but quality plug and play swing arm out there that fits these frames. We seem to get stuck with the ugliest swing arms out there.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:15 PM   #11

The only reason I bought TT250 was the price/quality. Appears the TT250 should run for 10k or more, that should get me 10 years of use. For $260 per year, cheap way to find out if I really like riding. Used market was not good so that pushed me to the TT250.

Granted I would have been willing to spend probably another $1,000 for brand new Jap. bike, the Honda 250 dual sport was right at $5,000.

My ideal bike would have been a Japanese brand, 350cc, very similar size to the tt250, weight wise same weight or less. For my use the weight of the tt250 is at my max. loading it into the trailer and such. DR200 is much nicer, but the DR200 is little small for me.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:02 AM   #12

Quote:

do a search for a …
Yamaha 250 Tenere..
Honda Tornado 300.. even had a silly dam beak...
but unlike the RX3 they were both well under 400lbs..
but I think Zongshen most lightly invented the under
powered blotted pig idea.. that every one seems to be
following these days...

Both bikes pre-date the RX3 by a good 5 years...

the 230cc seems to be a budget class..
IE.... CRF230 / TTR225...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 05-23-2019, 02:08 AM   #13

Quote:
I’ve been wondering if there is a poor man’s but quality plug and play swing arm out there that fits these frames. We seem to get stuck with the ugliest swing arms out there.
Yes there is, the hard part is able to source it. Some people complained that the swingarm was not very good for on/off road motorcycle, so the seller got a new batch from china with what looks like a bottom link unitrak and sells those bike as "LTE" version.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:21 AM   #14

Quote:
OHC is always better for power. Plus some more fine tuning and maybe a little cam timing, possibly. Just guessing. It doesn't take much. My Q is putting out about 20 with just a different muffler and some jetting. It's just a 200cc.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #15

Quote:
OHC is always better for power. Plus some more fine tuning and maybe a little cam timing, possibly. Just guessing. It doesn't take much. My Q is putting out about 20 with just a different muffler and some jetting. It's just a 200cc.

My Storm is so slow and weak compared to everyone else’s bikes. Sad. :(