Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #1

Doh! Hawk Down - Now front wheel pointed to the right

Ok so maybe it was a bit wet to ride trails today. lost my mirror and now the front wheel is angled to the right with respect to the front fender, and the handlebars have to be turned to the left to go straight.

Help a noob out, how do I fix this?

Also, is there a replacement mirror I can order on amazon? Have my skills test on Monday for my MC license and don’t want to miss it.

Thanks!!!!

Old 06-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #2

If you mean that the forks are twisted it's just a matter of loosening up the bolts on the triple tree, align and tighten them back up. Just make sure you have the bike supported on a stand and front wheel is on the ground before loosening.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #3

Most states only require a left side mirror.
2018 Hawk P&P Decked .040 off the head. 17/43 D.I.D. 428, NGK Iridium plug, DeCat, Wrapped pipe, Custom S.S. Muffler core, Nibbi PE30 115/35, L.E.D. Lights, Digital Cluster, USB port, Cutting Bord skid plate, Oil cooler w/ custom CRF oil filter inline, 5Wt fork oil, Rear Shock, CNC Back Rack, 30mm FAT bars, Bark Busters, ProGrips, Adjustable levers, Shinko 700’s lots of Loctite!

Old 06-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
If you mean that the forks are twisted it's just a matter of loosening up the bolts on the triple tree, align and tighten them back up. Just make sure you have the bike supported on a stand and front wheel is on the ground before loosening.
Ok great, this is what I did and seemed to work. Thanks!!!!

Old 06-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hawk View Post
Most states only require a left side mirror.
Genius! I love this place.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:44 PM   #6

I’ve got 1 set of folding mirrors I’ll be in Boston Sunday night can send then or Monday
$15 a pair

Old 06-14-2019, 11:26 PM   #7

If I got more to ride, I just grab the front wheel between my legs and grab the handlebars and just jerk it until they're straight.

usually I'll loosen and retighten but it's usually good as new

Old 06-15-2019, 07:05 AM   #8

What Tashka said. When I laid mine down it was tweaked to the right and I just put the wheel between my legs and grabbed the bars. Easy peezy.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
Ok so maybe it was a bit wet to ride trails today. lost my mirror and now the front wheel is angled to the right with respect to the front fender, and the handlebars have to be turned to the left to go straight.

Help a noob out, how do I fix this?

Also, is there a replacement mirror I can order on amazon? Have my skills test on Monday for my MC license and don’t want to miss it.

Thanks!!!!
Ideally you pump the forks up and down with the axle nut and clamps loose in order to get everything in alignment. Then retighten every thing back up. But out in the boonies, just put the front wheel between your legs and twist the handle bars back to straight...ARH

Old 06-16-2019, 12:42 AM   #10

From first hand experience myself, the triple-T on the Hawk is made of a relatively soft casting and can be twisted out of alignment from impact if the bike is laid down.

If realigning forks (and axle) with the pinch bolts doesn't buy you enough alignment - that should be tried first - you may have to realign the triple-T itself. I took the front tire off and put a crow bar between the forks and gently applied some counter force to get them back into alignment, effectively twisting the triple-T back to parallel.

You'll know this case applies if the forks themselves seem to no longer be completely parallel, or you see that they don't really align easily thru both mounting points on the triple-T and top plate. A good impact to one side the handle bars can cause this.

If it's bad enough, or if you observe that the metal is actually cracked somewhere, you'd have to replace the triple-T, the top plate, or both.

2015 Hawk 250