Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2019, 11:07 PM   #1

I found the lower motor mount bolt was snapped

I know this is a common problem on Grom Clones. I had always checked the nuts regularly to make sure they weren't loose. But in my case, the nut appeared tight. It was snug on the bolt that snapped. I only noticed after taking out the motor.

So I got some good bolts and an engine that doesn't vibrate as much.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:35 AM   #2

On my Vader i replaced them before they caused an issue after having read so much about it here at Chinariders Forums , but i have run into other random issues with the "chinesium" hardware and it looks to me like at least part of the problem is crazy over the top over - tightening at the assembly plant, several bolts have shown signs of stretching caused by over tightening, which in turn so weakened the bolt that it is easy to see were it an engine bolt the vibration and stress placed on it would have later caused it to fail.
I'm guessing the air wrenches used for assembly are not set to any torque spec at all and they just air impact the hell out of em, drastically over tightening them thereby weakening them from square one., exacerbated by them being "chinesium " to begin with .
So, my point is i'm not saying vibration isn't a contributing factor as to why they fail given the metallurgy of the bolts, but i'm convinced poor technique during assembly is just at fault ,they are over tightening them and stretching them ,leaving them weakened and failure prone right off the bat .It's really almost laughable, what bolts arent too loose ,are horribly over tightened it seems on these Clones, but whatcha gonna do , I guess thats what you get when you paying Wi Tu Lo a dollar a day to put together as many bikes as possible.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 05-30-2019, 09:25 PM   #3

I remember reading how the stock bolts should be able to hold up but like you said, stretching from over tightening was causing them to snap... along with a metric shit ton of vibration.