Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #1

Ordered a Hawk 250 to register in Virginia

So I decided to buy my son a small ATV a few weeks back. Ordered him up a TaoTao 125d and stumbled across the Chinese enduro bikes while shopping. Now that his ATV was delivered without too many issues, I went ahead and placed an order for a Hawk 250.

We'll see how that goes. Didn't get the color I wanted due to limited inventory. With all the dealers seemingly increasing prices significantly all of a sudden, I figured it didn't make sense to wait.

Hoping it won't be a nightmare to own. Then again I'm not expecting the world out of it either.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:36 PM   #2

Congratulations on the purchase and welcome aboard. Mind sharing what "dealer" you went through? Regarding pricing increases.... Gotta be a result, or partially a result of, the pissing match over tariffs and trade. May be a sign of things to come unfortunately.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-22-2019, 10:28 PM   #3

I went through TxPowersports who don't seem to have the best reputation on this site. I looked at several other dealers online, spoke to a few on the phone, had a few that wouldn't answer the phone, etc. Didn't feel warm and fuzzy about any of them really. The ATV for my kid arrived fast and with minimal shipping damage so I'm hoping for the same with the Hawk. Like with most things I purchase I will likely end up wishing I had waited and done more research, but it was a fair enough deal I just rolled with it.

I had noticed that some dealers listed out of stock on the black and blue bikes over the past month or so since I've been searching, even amazon showed only green and red in stock. I had decided to wait and see how the ATV turned out before I bought myself something, that arrived yesterday and I got that assembled and running pretty quickly. I looked at Txpowersports today and wouldn't ya know it, the green I wanted was showing out of stock. Looked on amazon and superior powersports sites and noticed the price had changed significantly just in the past day or so. Called superior and they said they had 3 colors available but couldn't price match..... oh well. I'll see how it turns out. My guess is I'm getting a 2018 or an older shipment of bikes and the price change is a new batch or tariff related.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:03 AM   #4

Your experience with TXPowersports will be fine unless you have to make a damage or warranty claim. That is when most people tend to have issues with them and get the run around pretty hardcore.

Even the website I bought both of my Hawks through has jumped about $160 in price. Likely a demand thing. The prices did the same the last time when I went to order my first bike. I ended up pre-ordering and saving $100 over the normal price at the time. With the Hawk DLX coming out, I have a feeling that the remaining regular Hawks are just old inventory being sold off. The DLX will likely completely replace the current cheap Hawks entirely.

As far as doing more research and regretting the purchase. If you follow the suggestions in my signature link when setting the bike up, and making a few key upgrades, the Hawk can be a fantastic and very reliable bike. I use mine daily for regular commuting and errands. My stolen bike had over 4000 miles put on it in about 9 months. I am on track to do the same with this bike. Aside from a couple of small issues that were quick easy fixes, I had almost zero issues. The Hawk is very much a testament to getting out of it what you put into it.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-23-2019, 07:45 AM   #5

Welcome aboard! As Megadan Stated. Read through his Hawk Information and Resource guide: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20331 These bikes are good little bikes when setup and maintained properly. My Hawk is over 2 1/2 years old with around 5700 miles on it with no major issues. You'll fine out quickly how these bikes can be fun to ride and tinker around with.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-23-2019, 09:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Your experience with TXPowersports will be fine unless you have to make a damage or warranty claim. That is when most people tend to have issues with them and get the run around pretty hardcore.

The Hawk is very much a testament to getting out of it what you put into it.
That's about what I figured to be honest. I'm a pretty realistic person when it comes to these type items, not gonna complain about a scratch here and there or a functional item that needs a little tlc. I'll deal with what I get. I know I'm not buying a Honda.

The battery in the little ATV I bought my son lasted a full 24hrs before it bit the dust. Not sure if that is a warranty item or not, but I just went ahead and ordered a new one off amazon. The valve stems in all 4 tires were leaking where the schrader valves were never tightened from the factory. Gas poured everywhere when I put fuel in it, figured out the bowl drain screw was about to fall out of the carb. One tire has a pretty good gouge in it with what looks like aluminum foil peaking through behind it, but its holding air so I'll roll with it. Paint has the normal shipping scratches. I expect the Hawk will arrive in similar condition and I'll live with it.

I normally would research a little longer to find the best dealer but with the pricing changing I just decided to roll the dice.

I plan on going through it pretty well before putting it on the road. Just gonna use it to cruise around country roads and farmland around home. Should serve the purpose fine.

I've been watching YouTube videos and reading on this site for a month or two about modding the Hawk. Thanks for the support.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Welcome aboard! As Megadan Stated. Read through his Hawk Information and Resource guide: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20331 These bikes are good little bikes when setup and maintained properly. My Hawk is over 2 1/2 years old with around 5700 miles on it with no major issues. You'll fine out quickly how these bikes can be fun to ride and tinker around with.
Thanks for the info.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloverby View Post
I'm a pretty realistic person when it comes to these type items, not gonna complain about a scratch here and there or a functional item that needs a little tlc. I'll deal with what I get. I know I'm not buying a Honda.

I expect the Hawk will arrive in similar condition and I'll live with it.

I plan on going through it pretty well before putting it on the road. Just gonna use it to cruise around country roads and farmland around home. Should serve the purpose fine.
You will find the Hawk to be a good purchase with those realistic expectations. It shouldn't be anywhere near as bad as that little ATV though. That's almost ridiculous.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-24-2019, 09:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
You will find the Hawk to be a good purchase with those realistic expectations. It shouldn't be anywhere near as bad as that little ATV though. That's almost ridiculous.
Hopefully so. The ATV was about what I was expecting actually. Serves the purpose for my son fine for now.

The aluminum foil looking material showing through the rubber on the sidewall is odd to me, but it holds air fine, I'm not going to worry too much about it.