Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2019, 02:32 PM   #1

first oil change notice for all.

Being the typical guy one never reads the instructions until one gets stuck or the owners manual for that matter , but looking for the tire pressures for my TBR in my manual ,which are in kpa by the way, i stumbled upon a sentence in the book that i had never seen before.

With all the new riders coming on board and asking about first oil change and different answers from dealers from '500 miles 'to 'it will be fine just ride it easy for the first few hundred miles'

Luckily i took the advice from the seasoned guys here and changed my oil while assembling my bike.

In my owners manual book it says quite clearly that the engine comes with shipping oil and should be changed before the engine is started for the first time .

Do the other chinese brands say this as i would assume all the china bikes come with this shipping oil ?

If you buy a new china bike change the oil or have the dealer prove they changed the oil before you ride it, it's the engines most vulnerable time and not worth the risk at under $10 bucks for a bit of oil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil change .jpg (81.5 KB, 412 views)

Old 08-30-2019, 02:42 PM   #2

And people thought we were crazy and was "Fake News" Thanks for posting that.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 08-30-2019, 03:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
And people thought we were crazy and was "Fake News" Thanks for posting that.
I never doubted you guys , but when the new people come on board they are more likely to believe the selling dealer which would be a shame to start off on the wrong foot so to speak.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:58 PM   #4

Is the manual actually a TBR specific manual... I do not recall if mine was, it seemed incredibly generic and had a bunch of features and sentences perhaps not specific to my bike.

I left the shipping oil in for the first 25 miles or so just doing circles around my yard until I got my Class M certification and then I changed the oil.

I asked around and most said the TBR shipped with a bit higher quality oil that it was ok.

Have to admit, you are correct in that its cheap enough insurance to change it immediately, the oil is as cheap as your first fill up at the pump.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:59 PM   #5

My Bashan BSR's manual doesn't say shipping oil. It said something about having authorized service center change the "run-in machine oil" and clean the oil tank.

I ran that "machine oil" for just a bit and after 3 oil changes now the engine oil looks like mud after a run...

Keihin PZ30 Main-115 Pilot-38 Needle-1Washer Fuel Mixture-1/2

BSR Chronicles - "Project leads to more projects!"

Yamaha WR250R
Suzuki GSX-R 600

Old 08-30-2019, 11:08 PM   #6

Oops i literally ran my motor like 3 times and this is the junk that came out..

I changed my oil today after doing a valve adjustment. this is the junk that came out after just running the engine 3 times. I wouldn't consider this good break in oil. CHANGE THE OIL AND VALVE ADJUSTMENT BEFORE STARTING. Hope running the engine for the little time I did didn't hurt anything with that muck called oil.[ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil 2.jpg (89.2 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg oil.jpg (66.0 KB, 335 views)