Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2019, 12:30 AM   #1

Which scooter looks to be more reliable

This one has a clutch https://www.scooterwholesales.com/pr...troke-scooter/

This one does not, and is about $100 cheaper

https://www.thehobbyworx.com/49cc-pe...uspension.html

Granted I am over the weight limit on the bottom one.

Does one scooter appear to be substantially better, is it worth the extra hundred for the scooter with the centrifugal clutch, and isn't that a wear point that the other scooter does not have?

Old 10-31-2019, 07:53 AM   #2

They both have a centrifugal clutch. The top one looks to be better quality and has the EPA certifications. But I'm a bit confused. I thought you were looking for something that could maintain 55 mph. I don't think that will cut it. From reading all your post about what you want and what you need are two different things. Take the advise that everyone has giving you. If you want a bike that can maintain 55 mph and be reliable then get something with a 150cc engine or larger. If you don't have the money to get anything larger then save up for it, you will be glad you did in the end. I know California kind of limits what you can get in a Chinese bike. Take the time and do some research. Go out to a dealer and test drive a few bikes so you won't be disappointed when you buy something and it doesn't meet your expectations. Good luck in your search.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 10-31-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:09 PM   #3

i would say to go with your gut feeling. Other than the EPA rating, I do not see a lot of functional difference.
-When I cycled a lot in Arizona, I would tuck in behind a goped and let them cut the desert wind for me for a while. Some of them wicked the throttle and left me behind.

Old 11-03-2019, 11:17 PM   #4

Not sure what the laws are where you live, but neither of those is even remotely street legal in these parts. If the police catch you on those here you would be subject to a fine. Also, it looks like they both use those little pocketbike two stroke engines. Neither would likely be reliable in the slightest, more of a toy than anything else. Tiny little drive chains, cheap pull starts, etc.

Old 11-03-2019, 11:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
Not sure what the laws are where you live, but neither of those is even remotely street legal in these parts. If the police catch you on those here you would be subject to a fine. Also, it looks like they both use those little pocketbike two stroke engines. Neither would likely be reliable in the slightest, more of a toy than anything else. Tiny little drive chains, cheap pull starts, etc.
He is in California, and these are legal to ride on the street next to the curb.

This if from California's handbook:

"A motorized scooter is a two-wheeled device that has handlebars, a floorboard designed to be stood upon when riding, and is powered by a motor.

The Vehicle Code (VC) does not require registration, license plates to be displayed or the scooter to be insured. Local authorities can regulate the registration for these scooters pursuant to VC §21225.
Even though insurance is not required, owners of these scooters should contact their insurance company to determine if coverage is available.
A motorized scooter may be operated on a bicycle path, trail or bikeway, but not on a sidewalk. An individual shall not operate a motorized scooter:
Without wearing a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet, if they are under age 18.
Unless it is equipped with a brake that will enable the operator to make a braked wheel skid on dry, level, clean pavement.
Without a valid driver’s license or instruction permit.
With any passengers.
While carrying any package, bundle, or article that prevents the operator from keeping at least one hand upon the handlebars.
On the highway with the handlebars raised so that the operator must elevate his or her hands above the level of his or her shoulders in order to grasp the normal steering grip area.
On a highway with a posted speed limit greater than 25 miles per hour (mph) unless it is within a Class II or IV bikeway. However, a local authority may adopt an ordinance or resolution authorizing operation of a motorized scooter on a highway with a posted speed limit of up to 35 mph.
A Class II bikeway provides a striped lane for one-way bike travel on a street or highway. A Class IV bikeway, often referred to as a cycle track or protected bike lane, is for the exclusive use of bicycles, physically separated from motor traffic with a vertical feature. The separation may include, but is not limited to, grade separation, flexible posts, inflexible barriers, or on-street parking. Separated bikeways can provide for one-way or two-way travel.

A motorized scooter may not be operated at a speed in excess of 15 mph on all highways, including bikeways, regardless of a higher speed limit applicable to the highway. "

I do agree that these might not be the best transportation options for him.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-04-2019, 06:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
He is in California, and these are legal to ride on the street next to the curb.

This if from California's handbook:

"A motorized scooter is a two-wheeled device that has handlebars, a floorboard designed to be stood upon when riding, and is powered by a motor.

The Vehicle Code (VC) does not require registration, license plates to be displayed or the scooter to be insured. Local authorities can regulate the registration for these scooters pursuant to VC §21225.
Even though insurance is not required, owners of these scooters should contact their insurance company to determine if coverage is available.
A motorized scooter may be operated on a bicycle path, trail or bikeway, but not on a sidewalk. An individual shall not operate a motorized scooter:
Without wearing a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet, if they are under age 18.
Unless it is equipped with a brake that will enable the operator to make a braked wheel skid on dry, level, clean pavement.
Without a valid driver’s license or instruction permit.
With any passengers.
While carrying any package, bundle, or article that prevents the operator from keeping at least one hand upon the handlebars.
On the highway with the handlebars raised so that the operator must elevate his or her hands above the level of his or her shoulders in order to grasp the normal steering grip area.
On a highway with a posted speed limit greater than 25 miles per hour (mph) unless it is within a Class II or IV bikeway. However, a local authority may adopt an ordinance or resolution authorizing operation of a motorized scooter on a highway with a posted speed limit of up to 35 mph.
A Class II bikeway provides a striped lane for one-way bike travel on a street or highway. A Class IV bikeway, often referred to as a cycle track or protected bike lane, is for the exclusive use of bicycles, physically separated from motor traffic with a vertical feature. The separation may include, but is not limited to, grade separation, flexible posts, inflexible barriers, or on-street parking. Separated bikeways can provide for one-way or two-way travel.

A motorized scooter may not be operated at a speed in excess of 15 mph on all highways, including bikeways, regardless of a higher speed limit applicable to the highway. "

I do agree that these might not be the best transportation options for him.
I like that these types of machines are legal in some parts. It's crazy how strict they are here, anything that's fun is pretty much illegal, Lol!

I know the original posters question was regarding reliability, and I apologize if I came off sounding kind of negative but I had one of those pocket bikes way back and I marveled at how cheaply they were put together... Honestly something I would never even think of using them and reliability in the same sentence. These floorboard gas powered scooters just look very similarly put together to me so I'm guessing they would be about the same. If I was looking at something like these myself, I would be more inclined to look at the electric powered ones similar to the Bird and Lime units. I think they have a pretty decent reliability record and are much more compact for taking on buses or into buildings if need be.

Just my two cents, have fun with whatever you get Greg

Old 11-04-2019, 07:36 AM   #7

I didn't think you came off as negative. I agree on the electric ones; find one on par with the rental units.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #8

While go-peds were legal in the state of Arizona, some cities would actually ban the gas go-peds within their boundaries.
-You need to check your local ordinances too.