Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
View Poll Results: How do you rate your china ride?
Excellent 6 28.57%
Fair 8 38.10%
Not to bad 7 33.33%
Poor 0 0%
A nighmare 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #1

How do you rate your china ride?

After a summer of riding I'm pretty impressed with our 3 lifan GY-5's.
Other than a loose tach needle we've had a summer of trouble free riding
I'm wondering how the rest of you feel about your China rides.
Please rate your bike its self in the poll and then in your post you can comment on dealer or shipping problems.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #2

I have had the usual electrical gremlins others have had. Bad connections, horn needed adjusting, etc.. The occastional losening of fasteners and such. Lately it has been pretty trouble free. It always starts and runs great.

No way I could give it a score of "Great" however. I would say say "fair" would be what I have experienced. I supose it has exceeded my expectations.

Hows that for flip flop answer?

Old 08-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #3

IF ANYONE READS THE BARELY RUNNING ZONG POST IN THE DUEL PURPOSE THREAD THAT WILL PRETTY MUCH SUM UP MY EXPERIENCE WITH BIKE. IT DOES HOWEVER RUN PRETTY GOOD RIGHT NOW

Old 08-14-2009, 02:30 PM   #4

I'd say I go what I paid for. I think I can ride the snot out of it for at least 3 years. If it's puked at that point I'd have broken even. If it's still running, and I expecet it will be, I'm ahead. 8)

I would NOT recommend one of these to anybody without a big tool cabinet and the skills to use it. A sense of humor is also needed.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #5

My Lifan CT70 Clone has been a pretty good little bike.

But I must say, I will not buy another Lifan from a American Lifan Dealer.

I am in the market for a 250cc cruiser to teach the younger Family members how to ride.

I will going with the Grey Market Dealers from here on out.

I have had a way better experiance with them than American Lifan.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:53 PM   #6

I voted "fair" with a caveat. It took a considerable amount of time to properly prepare our machines to the point where they're reliable.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrt4
My Lifan CT70 Clone has been a pretty good little bike.

But I must say, I will not buy another Lifan from a American Lifan Dealer.

I am in the market for a 250cc cruiser to teach the younger Family members how to ride.

I will going with the Grey Market Dealers from here on out.

I have had a way better experiance with them than American Lifan.
If you live out by me there is a Q Link Legacy and a Hensiem 250 for sale.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #8

I posted fair as well. My baby quads are just fine for the price I paid. I can't complain that I need to tinker on them, and they do run pretty good for the most part.

If I didn't want to tinked I could have found a Jap bike, but I could only afford one, where now I have two and no fights or timers needed for the kids.

They've been a fun experience for everyone.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:16 AM   #9

I voted excellent. For the price I paid, I believe my Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 is an exceptional value.

I have had two mechanical problems with my motorcycle. At 10,800 miles the original CDI unit failed; the replacement CDI cost $25 from Zongshen America. At 14,500 miles my stator failed; a replacement stator and pickup coil cost $58 from Zongshen America. I have over 15,000 miles on the odometer, and my bike is running great; the more I ride it, the better I like it.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #10

I want to be fair about this. I like my china bike,2005 Roketa RSM 200 enduro new from power sports max $900.00, for what I paid its been ok. It has its faults, most of which I have fixed or modified. I would not spend the money to buy another one. At almost 4000 miles now, Its still going strong. I feel beter taking 50 plus mile trips with it now, than when it was new. The rear tire is down to the wear bars but I still plan on replacing it soon. If something major in the motor or trans goes out, Ill park it and sell it part by part, dirt cheap to fellow china riders. I just hope all the welds are good as its always on my mind splitting in two while going down the road at 60 mph with a logging truck riding my ass. The build quality on my DR200 and KLR 250 far surpass the China bike. If I did only trails and dirt roads it would have been junk by now. Your so right, you need to be a good mechanic to rig all the needed repairs. So, I want it to keep running as its my reason to stay on this forum. Chris.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:02 PM   #11

My Lifan GY5 is at nearly 14,000 km. There have been no problems with the engine, and it's running as strong as ever. The rest of the bike has been pretty good but not perfect. Main thing is the factory didn't do a good job greasing things but I took care of that during assembly. The rear swing arm pivot point is a faulty design but I fixed that too. Front brake pads/rotor was noisy before the fix. Speedo drive unit should have a second stop to keep it in place better. Tail light/turn signal bracket cracked but was easily welded. Factory battery is crap. Chinese made NGK spark plug is crap. Air filter wasn't oiled from factory. Suspension doesn't measure up to the Japanese bikes. That's all I can think of at the moment.

About 75% of my riding has been off road in remote areas. Many times I've been over 50 miles away from any road where I was likely to see another vehicle in a 24 hour period. No cell service either.

For the money the bike was a great deal. $1375 delivered. American Lifan purchased from Motoxtreme. I would definitely buy another one and would recommend the bike to anyone with a bit of mechanical know how.

I also have 2 old Trail 90s that I have retrofitted with Lifan 110cc engines from Hooper Imports. Each has about 1200 miles with no problems. Larry Hooper is a good guy who I would be glad to deal with any time.

Q

Old 08-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #12

mines is ok never had any mechanical issues but a few wee niggley problems when new. terrible inner tubes spring to mind. it hasnt realy aged well plastics cracked chrome pited ect but its a year old and every mile its done has been on dirt