Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2010, 10:32 PM   #1

2 Gio 125cc pitbike, prep info

Hi, im a new china bike owner, ive got 2 Gio bike 125cc on its way. I would like to know what are the stuff that I should buy to prep my new bikes. Which engine oil, filter oil, spark plug, grease, tools? Basically I wanna be prepared to prep them.
Any other tips or links to articles...

Thank you
Alex

Old 10-30-2010, 11:01 PM   #2

On my 125cc i used Castrol 10w/40 motorcycle oil, a NGK CR7HSA spark plug, K&N air filter oil and make sure you loctite everything, after a bit i changed the chain to a DID, much better than the stock chain, other than that it was a great bike till i sold it so i could upgrade to the X31.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:26 AM   #3

Welcome! Love your screen name. I'm guessing your phone number is 18436572.

Wayne has pointed you in the right direction. Please let us know how the bikes work for you.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-31-2010, 12:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Welcome! Love your screen name. I'm guessing your phone number is 18436572.

Wayne has pointed you in the right direction. Please let us know how the bikes work for you.
You're right on the firing order on the 350, that I rebuilded for my 73 Camaro.

I will keep you guys posted as soon as UPS show up with my Orange and Black GIO 125cc dirtbike, I cant wait!!.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:42 AM   #5

Love the '73! Hate the awful bumpers on the '74. Did you do anything special with your rebuild?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-31-2010, 12:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Love the '73! Hate the awful bumpers on the '74. Did you do anything special with your rebuild?
Nothing crazy, but nothing is stock on the engine except the block and the crank.

Vortec heads, edelbrock RPM intake, scorpion roller rocker, comp cams XE274 camshaft, hedman hedders, edelbrock AVS carb.

So its a nice combo, puts out 380HP/454LB-FT, its not a 10sec 1/4 car

Here is a picture:

Old 10-31-2010, 12:59 AM   #7

That's really nice. 8)

Love the Torq Thrust look. Did you use beehive springs with the Vortecs? IIRC, .490 is on the edge of coil bind with stock Vortec springs. I'll bet it starts and runs nicely with that vacuum secondary.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Did you use beehive springs with the Vortecs? IIRC, .490 is on the edge of coil bind with stock Vortec springs. I'll bet it starts and runs nicely with that vacuum secondary.
No, I used a tool to cut the spring seat and boss to accomodate better spring and higher lift.

Im still debugging the engine as I dont know shit, I rebuilded my engine using message boards and dvds

Old 10-31-2010, 01:06 AM   #9

We all gotta start somewhere.

Did you have to cut the valve stems down?

Are you running a stock type HEI?

Old 10-31-2010, 01:11 AM   #10

Quote:
We all gotta start somewhere.

Did you have to cut the valve stems down?

Are you running a stock type HEI?
Thats what I used, and no I didnt cut the stems.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te.../photo_02.html

Right now it has a stock HEI, as I had issue with my Mallory HEI, but this winter I will be reinstalling my Mallory unit.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:30 PM   #11

Sorry, I said stems but I meant guides. It looks like you used the guide cutter as well as the spring seat cutter. How did you measure depth?

Have you tried to dial in the HEI? I've had excellent results with advance kits and trying different weights and springs. The last one I did worked best with one light spring and one medium spring; you end up with an average between the two. I set the base timing at 12 degrees BTDC, and I got strong acceleration with no detonation. Two light springs rattled like rocks in a coffee can and two medium springs felt like there should be more power. I never dyno'd it, I only used seat of the pants. You can optimize your HEI with a $20 advance kit and a timing light. If you're lucky enough to have a dial type light, you can even tailor the advance rate.

We've really drifted from your original topic, but this topic is fun too.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Sorry, I said stems but I meant guides. It looks like you used the guide cutter as well as the spring seat cutter. How did you measure depth?

Have you tried to dial in the HEI?
I didnt have to measure the depth as the tool stop at the top of the valve guide, and it cuts the seats and the second tool cut the diameter at the valve guide boss. I dont know if it makes sense, if not I can try to find the instruction

Didnt dial the HEI, i just install my stock HEI since I had issue with Mallory Coil, so the spring are stock, I just set the initial timing at 12deg.
I will play aroud with the springs during winter.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:45 AM   #13

Beautiful car. I really like the early examples of that particular generation.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC350
Quote:

Have you tried to dial in the HEI?
I didnt have to measure the depth as the tool stop at the top of the valve guide, and it cuts the seats and the second tool cut the diameter at the valve guide boss. I dont know if it makes sense, if not I can try to find the instruction

Didnt dial the HEI, i just install my stock HEI since I had issue with Mallory Coil, so the spring are stock, I just set the initial timing at 12deg.
I will play aroud with the springs during winter.
That makes perfect sense. Since the guides are all the same length, it's reasonable to use them as a cutting stop. Thanks for explaining it.

Let us know how the HEI re-curve goes for you, when the time comes.