Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #1

Greetings from Croatia!

Hello everyone! Im coming from Varazdin, town in continental Croatia.
From december last year im a proud owner of used 2008. Zong Gy-2 200 sm( Sierra).I am amazed with your prices in America(aprox. 1300 Usd- i think someone wrote that price on forum) for a new bike in a box?! Here they are sold for 2700 USD (completed in a dealers store)! Unfortunately we cant buy them in a box...Have been reading your forum here for a month by now. Guys-WOW its really a usable forum with so many ideas and helpful topics for everyone! Im glad i have found it. You rock!

Old 02-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #2

Welcome!

Glad you found us, and I wish I could buy a Zong where I live. You're one of us, so you rock too!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-13-2011, 01:07 AM   #3

Welcome; we are very glad you joined us! If you have time, please post some photos of your Zong; we love photos!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-13-2011, 03:59 AM   #4

Welcome

Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #5

Hy! I have some photos here...
Well,lets start.I bought my Zong crashed for aprox. 500 Usd. Guy hited a car (not direct hit-it was diagonal) when he was going home from work...just harmed his leg a little but that was the end of his "motor-love". It is 2008.year with 8000 kms on the clock.All what botherd me was the condition of the engine and front forks.
Fortunately engine runs great,cam chain tensioner was a little lose(it had clearance about 2mm in and out) so you could hear a little ratling sound.Solved that with a washer( or is it shim? Sorry on my english,im little rusty with it) when i took it apart. Now its good.
Also the spark cable was damaged and sometimes coused problems with starting so i changed it. Forks are in good condition.
ALL plastics except fender and headlight mask were broken or seriously scratched. I had a long fun with them when i was puting them together again (used aceton and polyester kit for boats repair ).If your plastics crash or something you can glue them together with industrial ACETON-just let aceton on both surfaces about 2-3 minutes and than put them together, and then reinforce them with polyester from the back. Aceton works ONLY with ABS plastic.Using aceton you can glue them without having any scars on your plastics. On Sierra only the plastic with three holes near the engine is PP others are ABS. Dont know for skid plate because i dont have it.
Rear wheel was about 2 cm to the left. Sprockets were not good alligned-fixed it with longer bushing on the left side and a shorter in the right side. Now the sprockets allign much better and the tail and the wheel are allmost perfectly alligned. This one i readed here on the forum, i think it was Spuds idea? THANKS Spud it works! It doesent offtrack or anything.Tail side picture was taken before i did this.
I changed many bolts and still am changin them. Toughest were on brake calipers,but you all know that.
Also i checked whole instalation and changed some wires,because some were broken in the wire tree.Founded that wires are the worst thing on a Zong,they are too short,isolation becoms plastic after some time...terrible.
Sometimes starting motor wouldnt stop so i removed starting relay, took it appart.Contacts were like welded and than broken. Cleaned them with sanding paper.
Before i painted it it had a minor facelift ...well thats it for now. It is still in "work in progress" phase..

First two pics show state of the bike before i bought it..

These are after some work on it,still not finished...

Sorry on my english one more time!
Greetings!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #6

You're my kind of mechanic!

Thanks for the acetone tip. I've only thought of ABS cement for repairs.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing! Great pictures and great ideas!

How's the riding weather in Croatia this time of year?

Old 02-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #8

Nothing to thank for!
Few hours after i "glued" my tank plastic with aceton i tried to break it by forcing it in different directions...well it passed the test and still was firmly "glued".
You just need to put a little acetone with a little brush on break points let it "melt" for a minute or 2 and then carefully (better you allign them smaller the scar is) put two broken parts together and obtain easy pressure on both pieces for a minute until it holds together.Be carefull,aceton is quite agressive with plastic.
Even the 4 tank plastic mounts were shatterd-aceton saves the day holding them in place! Well i was concerned a litlle becouse of vibrations in the future so i reinforced all of those cracks with polyester fibres from the inner side,including the mounts.Now its hard like a stone

I hope this will help someone...
Greetings!

Old 02-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #9

I have heard of people mixing ground ABS with acetone to make a paste to reinforce such repairs.

Good work!

Old 02-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #10

2 FAstDoc:

Just while i am typing this it started to snow... :(
Its still too cold but when there is no snow you can ride on shorter relations.
I hope it will melt in few days,then i can register my Zong and start to ride it round o clock !
Thanks for the tip!:P

Old 02-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #11

Going to have to try this on my van bumper.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #12

Thanks for posting the photos of your bike, Azriel. Also, thank you for the information regarding acetone, and ABS plastic repair. Your Zong looks great; you have done a very nice job repairing it! I also like your Acerbis headlight.

Indeed, most of the Zong's plastic is ABS; only the black side panels and the skid plate are manufactured from polypropylene.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Thanks for posting the photos of your bike, Azriel. Also, thank you for the information regarding acetone, and ABS plastic repair. Your Zong looks great; you have done a very nice job repairing it! I also like your Acerbis headlight.

Indeed, most of the Zong's plastic is ABS; only the black side panels and the skid plate are manufactured from polypropylene.

Spud
Thanks! Its not Acerbis... Just a chinese copy from ebay
Only that i changed 10W halogen bulbs with stronger 20W.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriel
Thanks! Its not Acerbis... Just a chinese copy from ebay
Only that i changed 10W halogen bulbs with stronger 20W.
Wow! The Chinese are making some nice copies of contemporary headlights! You bike looks great, Azriel.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-14-2011, 05:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Wow! The Chinese are making some nice copies of contemporary headlights! You bike looks great, Azriel.

Spud
Thank you very much!
Indeed, they look nice and are made of good quality plastic and are much cheaper then original one...
Actually it was yamaha blue when i bought it,paint in a spray solved the thing