Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #1

well there's your problem...

so we had some minor problems with rear braking this weekend and it is time for new pads.

on another note....weld you said that I could get the wire at ct ...do they carry this kind?

i am wondering ....the plug boot kept coming off so my original thinking is it is warn out....would the same size plug (but with a bigger end on it) do the trick or would i have to replace the whole thing??

Old 06-06-2011, 01:09 AM   #2

The CT unit doesn't come with the coil. If you peel back the rubber boot at the coil, you can unscrew the wire from the coil. Once you do, you'll see how the wire simply screws onto a coarse stud that's within the coil.

The plug end attaches the same way. If the plug end keeps coming off, just peel back the rubber boot, unscrew the wire from the plug end, chop some of the wire off and screw it back together. Voila.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
The CT unit doesn't come with the coil. If you peel back the rubber boot at the coil, you can unscrew the wire from the coil. Once you do, you'll see how the wire simply screws onto a coarse stud that's within the coil.

The plug end attaches the same way. If the plug end keeps coming off, just peel back the rubber boot, unscrew the wire from the plug end, chop some of the wire off and screw it back together. Voila.
there is no way to get to the coil end of the wire as it seems to be sealed inside the unit (have pulled the boot back) same goes for the plug end can peel the boot back but the wire end is inside (it is hard plastic) you can't get to the wire end that snaps onto the plug (like you can in a car if you have one loose)

Old 06-06-2011, 01:44 AM   #4

Trust me. Or don't. Your call.

Peel back the rubber boot at the coil, grab the coil in one hand and the wire firmly in the other. Unscrew. That's how they're assembled.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Trust me. Or don't. Your call.

Peel back the rubber boot at the coil, grab the coil in one hand and the wire firmly in the other. Unscrew. That's how they're assembled.

oh i do just didn't want to screw up anything is all....tried it this morning when i read your post and now i see what you were talking about.. thanks again weld.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #6

going to continue on this one instead of starting a new one...

had a look at the belt drive on her atv today and all looks good. very clean inside.

had to drop her lower frame work to do it though

put it all back together then set to the air filter for the belt drive.

i think i finally figured out what the area and filter that went to no where are for hidden under the front cowling. (came to me last night wile thinking of how to snorkle it.

yes it is a shop vac hose and yes it will be sealed.

might have to find a bigger hose as the overlap is the wrong way but will do for now.

ideas and opinions accepted.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #7

Quote:

it isn't the wire that is comming out of the plug end . it is the plug end that is comming off the plug....where does one find a new plug wire...ct only has full sets no singles.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:03 AM   #8

plug end

go to NAPA..

Old 06-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifekrisiz
Quote:

it isn't the wire that is comming out of the plug end . it is the plug end that is comming off the plug....where does one find a new plug wire...ct only has full sets no singles.
Canadian Tire has the single high performance NGK plug wires, but they're usually with the motorcycle/snowmobile stuff, not at the parts counter. At least that's how they sell them here.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Quote:
Quote:

Canadian Tire has the single high performance NGK plug wires, but they're usually with the motorcycle/snowmobile stuff, not at the parts counter. At least that's how they sell them here.

hmmm will have to go back to the one here in poco because all the parts counter person could come up with was a discontinued red snowmobile plug wire that had to be screwed onto the plug.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #11

The NGK 90 degree stud-type plug wire I bought from CT (a few times) is perfect for these applications. The CT part number is 026-2714-0.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #12

Quote:
The NGK 90 degree stud-type plug wire I bought from CT (a few times) is perfect for these applications. The CT part number is 026-2714-0.
so much for that idea....went back to the ct here in poco and had the woman look up the part # and low and behold.....nothing....even better not one store in the lower mainland has one.

so will just pick up the spark plug boot from t-rex in chilliwack for $10 and change it.....trying to keep my sence of humor here.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Quote:
so much for that idea....went back to the ct here in poco and had the woman look up the part # and low and behold.....nothing....even better not one store in the lower mainland has one.

so will just pick up the spark plug boot from t-rex in chilliwack for $10 and change it.....trying to keep my sence of humor here.
well it pays to call around.....poco ct said no one has one...I call her on it and call the mission one and low and behold they have one...it is on hold for me to pick up after work $21.95 thank you very much...shouldn't need one for a couple yrs after this.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #14

got the new sp wire....can i leave it the length it is (quite a bit longer than original) or should I cut it down?

Old 06-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #15

oh happy day!!!

brakes are on and set and the mrs has her new sp wire and new plug ...fires right up and is charging nicely