Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #1

First Bike... what is it?

Hello all,

I have had the recent fortune of acquiring a Zongshen enduro style motorcycle. Aside from the name Zongshen on the VIN plate, I'm really not sure what I have here. The bike was given to me by it's former owner, who walked away from it due to repairs needed. From what I understand, he moved and just didn't want to bring it with him and now it's mine. I am currently trying to legally acquire a valid title for an abandoned vehicle, at which point I would like to repair the bike and ride it. My first step is to try and figure out exactly what model it is. Other than "UM" on the seat, there are no markings or decals whatsoever on it. From pics I've seen online, it appears to be a 250cc engine, but could be a 200. I have not had much luck decoding the VIN, except verifying through vincheck.com that it has not been reported stolen or totaled. I am hoping someone here might be able to point me in the direction of a VIN decoder so I can at least find out what model bike it is.

I would like to mention that this is my first motorcycle. I know how to ride, but I have never taken a rider safety course or gotten a motorcycle endorsement on my DL, two things I will be pursuing in very short order. I am very mechanically inclined, I have had 3 years of automotive education, have competed and placed nationally in automotive competitions, hold NATEF certifications, have rebuilt engines, worked in world class machine shops making parts for F1, CART, and NASCAR engines, and various residential maintenance jobs, and can fix damn near anything. I love working on anything mechanical and enjoy a good challenge, but I've never worked on motorcycles until now.

Thanks in advance for any help you folks can offer, I look forward to being a part of this community and contributing where I can

- J