Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #1

Sturdiness Question

Hi folks. Been a while and thought I'd stop in.

For the last few months, I've borrowed my brothers old beat up Yamaha Grizzly 250? 2WD quad for working on our hill and hauling around our cart. It does a fine job but alas....he'll eventually want it back to haul around his tow-behind mower for his 10 acres.

I've been looking at the Tao Tao-type 250 (230?) ranch quad with the manual clutch and also, one of the GY6 150cc models for replacing the Grizzly when it departs.

Our loads consist of some rocks we haul to the rock pile, maybe a dried out stump or two up to the burn piles and mostly brush. Anything heavier than that goes in the back of our truck and is taken around the road to the top of the hill.

I believe both quads will have the power to do what we want regarding pulling the cart up our back hill, though I'm a bit worried about the faster gearing of the GY6. Every one I've ridden seems to be geared for the open road!

In your vast quad experience, what do you think will give the best service regarding durability? The CV of the GY6 or the manual clutch/regular tranny of the Honda clone?

Thanks for any input.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350