Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2016, 09:35 PM   #1

Hawk Died On Me. HUH???

on the way home from work today the hawk just suddenly quit running. no indication of problems prior to the event. I was running it hard, full out at 7500 RPM. I recall noticing that I was at 59 MPH at 7500 RPM with a 17/50 sprocket set (in case anyone is interested).

the motor quit and even though in gear coasted to a stop. Once stopped, I tried starting it. it would sputter a short bit but die. after a few tried, what I discovered is that it would run at idle, but I could not rev it up without choking it. could have been fuel starvation.

Called the girlfriend who brought my truck and trailer to me. loaded the bike up. tried starting it again, just for fun. idled fine, but could not rev it up. Drove home, which was only a 5 mile ride.

Once at home, I decided to try starting it again. Started right up and revved up like nothing had ever happened. WTF???!!!

I have not done anything to it at this point besides pull it into the garage for the night. Anyone have any troubleshooting ideas or tips that might help deduce what was going on??????

I initially thought that perhaps something had vibrated loose in the carb, perhaps the main jet or something. pilot was working as it would idle for minutes without any indication of problems. lift the slide just a bit and she'd choke and die. I thought perhaps the float had stuck or something. wrapped on the carb and tried starting it again. no luck. I also disconnected the fuel to see if it was flowing. it was. I also popped the cap off the tank to be sure there was no vapor lock. I'm going to pull the carb, cause I want to swap some jets anyway.