Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #1

Is Anyone Here A Fan Of 'Hard Engine Break-In' Procedure?

I recently purchased a new Hawk 250 and while researching new engine break-in procedures online, I came across some very interesting info regarding proper engine break-in procedures. The new info that I discovered totally goes against the grain of typical and commonly known break-in procedure recommended for new engines. The info that I have been reading is quite convincing and extremely interesting. But I am still undecided on which procedure to use to break-in my new Hawk 250 engine.

While it seems safe and sensible to do an easy break-in on a new engine, there seems to be some good supporting evidence online that suggest an easy break-in doesnt allow the piston rings to properly seal to the cylinder wall. It is said that a hard engine break-in properly allows the rings to seat to the cylinder wall resulting in a more powerful and reliable engine.

So this makes sense to me so far, but I cannot help but wonder if a hard break-in jeopardizes other engine components or operation. I certainly am hoping that a hard break-in is safe because I do desire a more powerful and reliable engine (if the info is true) , but am still researching the topic for answers. I am so desperate to find answers on this topic that I havent ridden my new Hawk all weekend. I had planned to ride my bike a good amount this weekend but have been too intrigued by this topic to ride it as I need to figure out the best break-in method.

Does anyone have any info, links, or personal experience on these two break-in procedures that may help me decide? I must find this answer to this topic before I can ride my bike again. I have only one chance to properly break-in my engine and am hoping that a hard break-in procedure is the proper way to go because the rewards claimed are very desirable if so. But I cannot decide 100% Any help would be so very appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!