Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2019, 04:47 AM   #1

APV area, southeastern Ohio

Proof that the government can screw up anything. When I was a kid (30yrs ago) we had this magical place to ride that was only 18 miles away. It was all reclaimed strip mining land that couldn't be used for anything else. Miles and miles of trails with 5 big "bowls" that each had atleast 5 hill climbs that defied gravity.

During the summer months we would load 3 bikes in the back of the old Chevy with a tent and several cans of 2-stroke mix. And ofcourse a basic tool box, some spare inner tubes and a week's supply of hotdogs and beer. We would camp and ride the whole week and never see a soul or DNR officer until the weekend. It was pure bliss.

Jump forward 30yrs and now you have to have an APV license plate on your bike, AND a Wayne National Forest sticker and the bike must be titled. All the trails are manicured 5 feet wide and you cannot deviate from them, and all the aforementioned hills are now off limits.

The place is heavily patrolled by DNR officers and they can fine or arrest you for for almost any infraction. You are subject to search and seizure at any time, no alcoholic beverages or drug paraphernalia, your exhaust system must be forestry approved and subject to decibel level testing, and you can be cited for reckless operation (riding a wheelie) or causing unnecessary land erosion (spinning the wheels unnecessarily). And you can even be cited and fined for having a non EPA approved gas can.

WTF? The last time I rode out there was with my buddy Tim Bobb and I had to ride one of his utility bikes because mine wasn't approved, and we were stopped and harrassed 3 times in 2 days by DNR officers trying to generate some revenue. I'm not going back and I encourage others to do the same.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400