Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2023, 06:15 PM   #1

Exclamation A good cheap source for protective gear ..

I had been riding my Hawk much more than my TBR7 lately, and so last Sunday, I decided to go for a long backroad ride on the 7. I have a new Dunlop 605 on the rear, and still running the stock front, which is about 1/2 tread. The State around here loves to pile the gravel on just about every road that's not paved, and they pile it crazy deep in spots. I had became pretty used to it, and got too complacent about it, and would catch myself looking at the speed O, and being surprised by the fact that I was running around 30 mph a lot of the time. I have also been very foolish in my riding clothes. I always wore jeans, and just any shirt, often as not sleeveless. I usually wore gloves, backroading. Well last Sunday, I was running on a road that the state had spread that gravel on, and suddenly the path I was running had a big ridge of gravel several inches high right to the left of me, and it was tapering towards the edge of the road, which was a steep creek bank. I tried to get up over the ridge, and thought I had made it, but then the bike went down hard . I was really hurting, but got my bike up, and was able to ride it home, even though the tip of the shifter was missing. I can tell that my clutch lever is just slightly bent, and the plastic bar end ( extension type thing, that I assume is just in the D version of the TBR7) was all scuffed, the bike itself didn't really get hurt. I have a lot of gravel/ road rash on my left arm, and on the side of my leg, but I have a really deep wound on my knee, that is pretty bad. Well , the whole experience has been a wakeup call. The blue jeans just shredded, like nothing. I have riding pants, but only wore them a few times, and I also had the matching jacket, which I wore a good bit, at first, but eventually I tore out every bit of lining from the inside of it to make it less bulky, and able just to was up, and stuff in a bag, or my helmet. I have made up my mind to be safer, and have ordered some new protection clothing. I have ordered more pants, and a new jacket, as well as a pair of leather chaps, even though I know they really ain't for dual Sports. In my searching, I discovered a seller that I think must get all of HWK brand returns, or possibly slightly flawed items. I ordered new ( listed as used) pants, jacket, and leather chaps for around $60 bucks. The seller has a remarkable selection of sizes, and styles, that's why I think they get all of HWK returns. Anyway I want to share this link if the seller. If your not familiar with eBay, you can just click to see the seller's other items. https://www.ebay.com/itm/134651089570
Most of you probably know , but I will mention that from what I have seen motorcycle jackets, and pants run crazy small, if you normally wear a large, probably get at least a 1x, or 2 x. I normally wear a 2 x coat, but ordered a 5 x so I can wear it over more stuff.

Last edited by Bill Hilly; 09-09-2023 at 07:39 PM.