Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2008, 02:38 AM   #11

Instruments and Wiring Systems

The Zongshen Sierra 200 also closely imitates both the instrument cluster and the wiring system of the Yamaha TW200.

The Sierra 200 speedometer is the same size and shape as the Yamaha speedometer, as is the instrument light cluster. Unlike some other Chinabikes, the United States odometer of the Sierra 200 records miles traveled, not kilometers. The United States speedometer of the Zongshen indicates speeds in both miles-per-hour and kilometers-per-hour. However, the mph numbers are much smaller, and more difficult to read, than the kph numbers.

Also, the electrical wiring diagrams of both motorcycles appear very similar. However, there are some minor differences. For example, the Yamaha TW200 also employs its front turn signals as running lights; the Zongshen does not. Therefore, the TW200 has three wires going into the front turn signals, instead of two. Like most other Chinabikes, the Sierra 200 employs a BA20D headlamp bulb; the TW200 uses an H4 headlamp bulb. In another, minor variation, the two motorcycles use a different color code for their wiring systems. However, given the many similarities between the two electrical systems, it seems reasonable that many electrical components should be interchangeable.

In summary, I must state that the Yamaha TW200 is a well-built motorcycle with both proven durability and an extensive, international dealer network; the Zongshen Sierra 200 has yet to prove itself in both these regards. A prudent buyer should never underestimate these important facts. As stated many times on this forum, anyone purchasing a Chinese motorcycle should be prepared to maintain the motorcycle himself. He should also be prepared to experience greater difficulty obtaining replacement parts for his motorcycle.

Other than these very important, primary facts, my personal experience indicates that the other main differences between these two motorcycles are price, appearance, tire size and weight. The last two factors are not insignificant. As stated earlier, I know of only one DOT, off-road, rear tire available for the Sierra 200. Of course, you can change the tire sizes on this motorcycle, but it costs additional time and money to do so. Lastly, in stock form, the Sierra 200 weighs almost forty pounds more than the stock TW200. The Zongshen Sierra 200 is a heavy motorcycle for its size.

All factors considered, I am very happy with my 2006 Zongshen Sierra 200. For the price I paid, I consider it an exceptional value. After riding it over 8,500 miles this year, I am now putting it into storage for the winter. God willing, I hope to enjoy riding it for many years to come.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894