Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #1

First ride was terrible

I just took it out for a ride a couple things that got my attention however. Btw this is my first time ever riding a motorcycle so i dont really have a reference to compare to what a bike is supposed to ride like lol all i know is its a dirt bike clutch. Basically first thing i noticed was that you always have to keep giving it gas to stay on.. could be something i have to adjust with throttle? also took my a while to get hang of the gear shifting. When i
started riding it was working good. I held the clutch down shifted it into first and slowly released as i gave it little gas. The other shifting threw me off and i had no idea what to do . I tried shifting it into second and this is what i did. I was going about 10 miles an hour and held the clutch down to get ready to shift into second. When i pulled the clutch it acted like a brake and i did a reverse wheelie and a , what felt like a heartattack. Is this normal or is my brake locked up? does the clutch act like a brake or something or is my clutch possibly tangled up with the brake or something. I have no idea how to ride but i figured out a couple things from this. I know how to get to first gear and moving, im just scared of hitting that clutch again. It doesnt make sense to me because what if you just want to coast out of gear, i cant even put it in neutral because i have to hit the clutch to do so. I recollect now that the problem started as soon as i hit the rear brake... hmmm. i dunno maybe i just dont know how to ride a darn bike lol. someone teach me whats up.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #2

omg i laughed so damn hard f'n near fell of the chair heh heh

to me this sounds like you have a semi -auto machina there.

the lever your referring to as the clutch is probably the brake imo

try just letting go of the gas a bit and shift it to 2nd "don't" hit the lever and giver it gas again and if that works try for third with same steps.

i could be wrong....it has been known to happen
let us know

Old 03-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #3

haha, funny thing is that it IS the clutch because the rear brake is by the foot resters and my front brake is on the right, tested it. If its not the brake or clutch then what is it. it has to be clutch.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbdan777
haha, funny thing is that it IS the clutch because the rear brake is by the foot resters and my front brake is on the right, tested it. If its not the brake or clutch then what is it. it has to be clutch.

ok well to me it sounded like a semi auto...my bad

Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #5

no worries, just trying to figure out whats goin on , i wish i had some riding experience so i know what it is but this is my first time riding ever. The bike rapidly brakes (slows down) soon as a I release the throttle that normal? I thought if i pulled the clutch it should coast ride? im just comparing this to my manual car lol. When you have the clutch down and are going 20 miles an hour its not supposed to brake right, its supposed to coast. Also its supposed to be able to ide right? you shouldn't have to be constantly hitting the throttle to keep the engine on. Im just imagining myself drive this thing in traffic, scary stuff lol, i may kill myself if I cant just coast in nuetral and alwasy gotta be hitting that throttle. anyways main problem is clutch is acting like a brake and my bike needs constantly to be hit on the throttle or it will brake hard and stop. Again i may sound like half a dummy right now but i have some knowledge on the subject.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #6

Okay. First check to make sure the brakes are not dragging.

Then to get you idle speed up turn the horizontal screw on the right side of the carb in. This will raise the idle speed. You may have to set it at about 1500rpm. After you engine breaks in you can probably lower it.

While talking of break in. Did you change the oil before you started it?