Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #31

Thank you Junglebiker! I read and re-read your last couple of posts several times. I've never seen close-ups like this, nor have I seen an air cooled CG version. I'd be grateful for any other info you'd care to share, including dismantling the 90 degree drive.

Is it correct to say that the 90 degree drive will bolt onto any CG motor?

Regarding the shifter support: could you weld a tube onto the support and insert a rubber bushing? If you could find a bushing with an ID that matches the shifter OD, you'd be set.

I can't quite figure out that reverse mechanism, but my guess is that small rod that extends out of the back of the 90 degree drive is pushed or pulled; is that right?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Weld, I am thinking that a golf cart axle and springs would work well. Might need to add a leaf or get some from the work versions.
I don't know enough about golf carts to wrap my mind around them. I know that there were two stroke versions; did they have a shaft-driven differential? Is it a rear axle that can separate like the one in Junglebiker's pics?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #33

There are more like standard car units. Some are like a transaxle. The electric carts generally have the motor mounted to the axle.

Depends on the cart and company.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #34

Ha! Yet another thing I have worked on here is a Yamaha "golf car", (I guess Yamaha doesn't like theirs to be known as "golf carts" for some reason). It's been a while since I worked on it, but it had an engine of about 8hp running through a snowmobile style clutch, (constantly varying size pulleys, changing according to engine RPM and load). IIRC, that clutch was bolted directly to the axle housing, but the axle housing was large and complicated, I'm not sure what was inside of it, I never had it apart, but I assume that it had some sort of gear or chain drive to the differential. The axis of the crankshaft, pulleys and rear axle were all parallel to each other.

There's an electric golf cart here, a John Deere, it has a big electric motor bolted right to an automotive style rear axle. I've never had to work on it, mainly because the people who own it have realised that it is worthless for where we are, too many steep hills for an electric golf cart.

Yes Weld, I am pretty sure that the 90 degree drive will bolt on to not only an GC engine but also to any small Honda XL/CB 125/185/200. The primary mounting bolts are the engine mounting bolts, but there is a smaller secondary set that go in where the original sprocket cover bolted on. BTW, I can now confirm that I have seen 2 different styles, the one that I posted a photo of looks like it might be a heavier duty unit and the selection is done by the rod that slides in and out of the casing. There is a smaller, neater looking unit that has a splined shaft sticking out of it. I have seen both types here, and will try to get one pulled apart sometime in the not too distant future for the General Increase of the Knowledge of All.

I could definitely improve my shifter support system--at first I missed the fact that the engines were rubber mounted, later when I realised it, I found that people weren't too interested in paying for the extra time and materials to do it right. But the next time one comes in with a problem in that area, I think I'll just improve it. It won't be that hard. I'm thinking I'll probably just weld a piece of pipe in between the front and rear cross members, then mount my shifter support on that.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:16 AM   #35

That makes way more sense to me now. The FWD / REV shift rod connects to the shift shaft via a small connecting rod, and that allows the shift rod to slide in and out despite the shift rod rotating. Is that right?

I was thinking about your shifter support today (while I should have been focused on work), and I have an idea. What it you bridged the rubber mounted subframe sections and supported the shifter from there? That would allow the support to move with the engine and subframe. Is that what you mean by welding a piece of pipe between the crossmembers? if so, we're thinking the same thing. :idea:

Old 10-26-2012, 12:47 AM   #36

Hehehehe, yeah, we're thinking the same thing, bud.

and yeah, pretty sure you've got the FWD/REV shift thing down.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #37

The Harley Davidson Golf Carts used a rear end that may work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVID...p2047675.l2557

In stock configuration the clutch pulley was mounted on the pinion shaft. Also was a brake disc mounted on the pinion instead of rear drums like most of the ezgo, club car, and yamaha carts.

Newer carts use 4 stroke engines and typically the reverse gear is all housed in a transaxle assembly. The pinion shaft is parallel to the axle.

The harley is the only one that I have found with a perpindicular arrangement so far.

I didn't spend much time in the cart boneyard since it was snowing and 16 degrees out.