Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2014, 02:55 AM   #1

Head Scratching Atv electric problem- please help - starter/ starter solenoid

I just bought a 250cc quad second hand and not running. I did a major service, cleaned the carby, flushed the tank, replaced fuel hoses and fitted fuel filter and got it running, albeit roughly. I switched it off and them went to start it again, only to find the previously easily kicking over starting system now wouldn't do anything other than go "click" (starter solenoid switch noise). I fully charged the near new top quality battery but this made no difference.
I am thinking that either the starter motor died, or the starter solenoid isn't switching properly or one of the brake safety cut out switches is faulty. I had a play with the brake switches and they seem ok as does the kill switch ( I aren't certain though) so my question is how common is it for a starter solenoid or a starter motor to quit working? How do you test a starter motor? Has anyone else had similar problem?
All advice gratefully received!! Thanks in advance guys!

Old 07-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #2

It's quite common to have a solenoid fail. When you hit the button, is there 12v at the small gauge wires at the solenoid?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #3

I am away for a few days but when I get back I will check and post back W&G

Old 07-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #4

starter testing

For testing the starter... you can do a quick jump test of the solenoid
using a screwdriver..... cross the 2 poles at the solenoid.... if you have battery power this will kick the starter into turning over.... if it does not and YOU KNOW the Battery is good.... then remove the starter... and then you can just re-check it on the bench..
if it turns the motor at a good speed and maybe starts the motor when you had the key on .. then it is the solenoid

As WELD says..... check the 2 wires tot he solenoid........ 1 has 12volt with the key one... the other one is ground WHEN YOU press the start button... if you have these and it does not engage the starter.... but the above does work..... then the solenoid is no good....
If you have no ground WHEN you press the switch... or no power... this comes from the key... then you have to look into the Headlight /start switch or ignition switch wiring

Old 07-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #5

i had this problem with our 150 and it turned out that it was the rear brake safety switch that was broken so I just took the two wires off of it and put them together and end of problematic switch.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:13 PM   #6

saftey switch

when the safety switch wires are not working due to a Problem with the wiring or switch malfunction... Nothing will happen... the starter will not even turn over... this is why it is a SAFETY DEVICE... he is having the solenoid or starter ...CLICK.. so that means the system is trying to let it start.... in this case joining the 2 wires together does nothing to help... he is passed that part...

Old 07-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #7

Thanks guys, I did some further testing tonight and I am pretty sure it is the starter motor so I have ordered a new one from ebay... Will let you know what happens