Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #1

Nicklemine to be shut down?

Weld do you know anything about this ?????

The following was stolen from the minutes if this meeting
FRASER VALLEY REGIONAL DISTRICT
ELECTORAL AREA SERVICES COMMITTEE
Tuesday, July 10, 2012 @ 1 :00 p.m.

Quote:
McKay Edwards, Project Planner on behalf of Barrick Gold Corporation

Mr. McKay Edwards attended the meeting on behalf of Barrick Gold Corporation to speak about the
feasibility of redeveloping the former Giant Mascot Nickel Mine into an All Season Resort. The proposed
site is approximately 10 kilometres north of Hope on Trans-Canada Highway 1. Mr. Edwards provided a
PowerPoint presentation regarding the project.
Mr. McKay advised that he is an independent planning consultant hired by Barrick Gold Corporation to
conduct the feasibility analysis for the project. Barrick Gold Corporation, a Canadian company, wants to
find an alternative use for the land which is no longer providing economic benefit to the Hope area. Mr.
Edwards noted that the location and existing mining footprint make it a good fit for redevelopment and he
sees the property being used as both a day-use and destination resort.
The plan for the lower parcel of the land includes lodging, restaurants and resort housing. Fishing,
hiking, boating on the Fraser River and canoeing on Klahater Lake are possible outdoor activities that
could be offered. The upper mountain property would likely be turned into a ski resort.
Mr. Edwards is currently in the process of consultation with First Nations and nearby residents and the
company plans to hold a public information meeting on the project later this year to get additional
feedback from people living in Hope and Fraser Valley Regional District.
Chair Dickey thanked Mr. Edwards for his presentation and several directors expressed their interest and
appreciation of the project.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #2

Interesting.

I can't see how the "upper mountain property" could be turned into a ski resort, since there is hardly ever any amount of snow there. The snow I've seen has been icy, and would be impossible to ski on.

They certainly couldn't prevent all access from the area, and there would still be trails that rideable.

That assumes that the First Nations band, the local residents and the FVRD all get on board.

I'd rather see Barrick Gold turn the area into a big, gated off-road park. They could charge admission, rather than paying a fee to the FVDRA.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer