Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2015, 10:39 PM   #1

Nice start. I'd like to see how it turns out

I don't know enough about Harleys to be right, wrong, or indifferent. But I know improvising and like your work stand.

I know what b!t?h getting a tire off a rusty rim can be. This may, or may not, have worked in your case but was taught to me by another improviser in Maine. You need a 5 gallon bucket, two large c-clamps, and two 1x4 boards about a foot long. Place the wheel on the bucket and squeeze the tire between the two boards and c-clamps. Spraying the rim with PB Blaster MAY speed things up a bit. Anyway, clamp everything together as tight as you can, it may break right away or you may need to sit through a double feature but it will pop that bead.

If they were solid rims, I'd tell you to park your truck on the tire and go have a cup of coffee.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 04-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Nice start. I'd like to see how it turns out

I don't know enough about Harleys to be right, wrong, or indifferent. But I know improvising and like your work stand.

I know what b!t?h getting a tire off a rusty rim can be. This may, or may not, have worked in your case but was taught to me by another improviser in Maine. You need a 5 gallon bucket, two large c-clamps, and two 1x4 boards about a foot long. Place the wheel on the bucket and squeeze the tire between the two boards and c-clamps. Spraying the rim with PB Blaster MAY speed things up a bit. Anyway, clamp everything together as tight as you can, it may break right away or you may need to sit through a double feature but it will pop that bead.

If they were solid rims, I'd tell you to park your truck on the tire and go have a cup of coffee.
I wish I had known these tips on Friday, when I would have passed them on to my illegal Son. He was trying to remove the tires from his old Honda 750, and they've been on there for more than 20 years. He ended up using a reciprocating saw.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-31-2015, 02:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I wish I had known these tips on Friday, when I would have passed them on to my illegal Son. He was trying to remove the tires from his old Honda 750, and they've been on there for more than 20 years. He ended up using a reciprocating saw.
I too, resorted to a sawzall on my rear tire

The Fat Bob tanks have grown on me, and like the extra fuel capacity, it's nice to have 5 gallons

I have considered a springer front end, but I would really like to put a set of 39mm forks on it with full "tins" and the elongated headlight fairing a la the HD Fat Boy. I forgot where, but I actually found a full "Fatster" kit online that includes all the parts. I'd want it to be black of course, not chrome, so it will get powder coated when i get it.

Be Dragonized!