Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2016, 04:55 PM   #1

2011 gio X31 with a small issue

Ok...not a small issue. Bought a 2011 X31 19/16 as a potential small project. "Great bike! No spark but has new CDI and plug...no time to fix call #####"

Thought heck...Got some experience with these, since my oldest son's first bike was a GIO 125cc, so its probably something simple. Simple being ignition switch, kill switch...possibly even a dead stator (since I've only replaced the 125's about oh...5 times now ) but it runs and we just can't seem to kill it.

Anyway, got it home, tore the seat off and after getting told "I did have to rewire a few things and after what I saw well, my youngest...12year old son said wow dad...I can even do better and what's this wire for??? ugh...
This got me thinking...no spark probably means something a lot worse.
Figured hey, only a few bolts, why not have a look at the stator to get a handle on the wiring and such. Pulled the cover off and noticed that the pickup coil was mashed up into the cover with a gouge taken out of it. UGH!!!
Ok, new stator but why?
Found a small piece of metal in the bottom just under the mag wheel and decided to look deeper.
This initial piece was small, about the size of a click pencil eraser. What I found after the fact was a couple of much larger pieces of some part of the case laying in the bottom, just behind the mag wheel.
UGH!!!! (and a few swear words).

Tore the engine out and had a better look at the stator and mag wheel...which both have to be replaced due to gouging and by the looks of it...someone prying and such.
Pulled the mag wheel off and instantly found where the 2 pieces came from.
The small lip that retains the main crank bearing from moving too far.
The other was a piece that holds the cam chain slider/guide towards the front of the engine.
Sorry, I don't have a pic right now, but can add a real one later. So I added one as a reference or example of a similar type of retainer (This one being the ZS 250 water cooled cases).

Name:  BearingRetainerLip_MagSide.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  12.8 KB

Now, since I wrote a novel here's my question. Knowing that the engine cranks over with no funny noises (like binding of the con rod or crank - will obviously have to see if there's any deflection of the crank) and no other cracks and such. What do you guys think about drilling/tapping and setting/loctiting a screw/washer in a strategic spot so that the bearing can't be forced any more outward?
I know I've seen some other engines use this. For instance, my youngest's '96 YZ80 which has a screw and washer that's used as the bearing retainer.

OR??? Did I just throw out $400 for rolling frame? ( knowing that I can get a replacement engine for about a G-note here in Canada - which I don't want to do since I can get another complete bike for that)

Thanks!

WorkingChump

Old 03-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #2

I think your repair will be fine .

Old 03-22-2016, 06:25 PM   #3

I think so as well...what can it hurt right?

Any good parts dealers in your area? (based on your location?)
Limited here outside of the interweb.

Tinkering Toys

1998 Honda Foreman 450S ("Yard" maintenance machine - yeah right)

2009 GIO GX125-14 or was it a 306?

1996 YZ80

2003 Honda CRF450R - Oldest sons new "toy".
(Why can't I have one??? )

(new to me) 2011 GIO X31 (a work in progress project to flip - or the youngest new toy (so he tells me))

Old 03-22-2016, 07:26 PM   #4

We have a few parts dealers local ,but I buy any and all broken bikes so I have my own parts department so to speak .I live about two miles away from a Royal Distributing who carries some chineese parts ,there used to be a big distributer in town of chineese bikes and parts ,and there is a local Tao Tao dealer as well .
I have a rolling chassis for your bike ,if you need anything let me know .

Old 03-23-2016, 10:43 AM   #5

Cool. Thanks man

Tim (aka WorkingChump)

Tinkering Toys

1998 Honda Foreman 450S ("Yard" maintenance machine - yeah right)

2009 GIO GX125-14 or was it a 306?

1996 YZ80

2003 Honda CRF450R - Oldest sons new "toy".
(Why can't I have one??? )

(new to me) 2011 GIO X31 (a work in progress project to flip - or the youngest new toy (so he tells me))