Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #1

TaoTao Rhino 250 noober

Hey guys I have been reading this forum for awhile now and considered getting a Tao Tao full size ATV. All your posts helped me to make the final decision. Thank you!!!

I tried to get it locally but got fed up with the way all the shops around me here in MD do business. Not returning calls or emails, high prices ($1400-$2000), and unwilling to budge on the price. There was a limit I was willing to spend on a Chinese ATV that needed modifications to suit me. Along with all the tuning and engineering workarounds. I at least got to sit on a couple of them and inspect up close. So it wasn't a complete waste of time.

I first tried to get a 250D which is no longer offered by Tao Tao so I ended up getting a Rhino 250. I was a little uneasy at first about ordering from TX Powersports but that has passed. The price was too good for me to turn down, and most of the problems seemed to be title issues for scooters. Will keep you guys posted good, bad, and in between. They did pick up the phone when I called to see if it was in stock, color, and answer questions before purchase. The internet shops near me wouldn't even do that. Was hoping to pick up from them in person to lower the cost.

It's hard deciding on who to buy from... but a decision made easier when they won't answer emails or return calls. Most would assume after it's in your hands they will do the same if problems arise. Hoping I wont regret dealing with them.

After all the modifications I have read here I will be spending a little more money and time configuring it how I want...

My Hit List
  1. Rear Hitch (for tiny trailer) DONE Used metal from Home Depot
  2. Winch (HF ATV model) DONE http://www.harborfreight.com/2500-lb...rol-61297.html
  3. Front Sprocket 11t DONE http://www.whygostock.com/taotao-rhi...ront-sprocket/
  4. Rear Sprocket 40t or higher DONE 37t http://www.whygostock.com/taotao-rhino-250-bull-150-atk4150-go-kart-rear-530-37-tooth-sprocket/
  5. Rear 2" Axle Extenders DONE https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AEVKO42
  6. Shift Light Indicators R/N/1/2/3/4 (thinking a custom bezel is in order) IN PROGRESS
  7. Air Filter Relocation (for shallow water crossings) DONE (PVC and rubber step down adapter from home depot) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OEQ6WU
  8. Address useless headlight issue with some sort of high watt LED mod DONE https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NQKS1WA
  9. Mikuni Carb (at some point later on) DONE Using jets: 30 pilot, 115 main, 4th notch down on needle https://www.amazon.com/FI-parts-Miku.../dp/B07F387YWP
  10. Hub stop mod DONE (Used 1 inch conduit pipe from Home Depot)

A special thank you to anhoard and 2LZ really dig your mods and will be using them on mine in some variant or another. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and for the pics. I do have a welder, small lathe and mill, and plenty of other metal working tools so curious to see what I come up with in the end. Can't wait.

My current ride is a Baja MB165/MB200 I modded for mule purposes while prospecting. Was a 50$ junker..

Added seat, storage tank, rear rack with hitch, TAV2 clone torque converter, 60t rear sprocket, and Predator 212cc engine along with a diy trailer....

So yeah I needed something a little bigger and safer to haul my gear, in, out, and down the creek. Hoping this ATV fits the bill. I'm all in now.

Will update this thread as the weeks progress. Any help you guys can offer with gearing and other pointers is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks again for all your posts!!! Hopefully I can contribute some.

Last edited by Darth Racer; 07-12-2019 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Updated broken link to carb

Old 05-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #2

Hey Darth Racer! Thanks for the kind words and welcome aboard! Your Baja looks cool! I've always been interested in one of these as I always wanted a mini bike when I was a kid.

Nice choice on the Rhino. It's basically a 250D with fancy plastics. Even the frame tag says "250D". I had the plastics off for a while but realized shortly thereafter I lost my work tables!...so they went back on. Need to set the ratchet, screwdriver and beer somewhere!

Sounds like you have a nice assortment of metal working tools. You should be able to really mod it up well! Please send pics of your mods. There will be someone like you here down the road who will be thanking you as well.

First things first: don't forget to dump the original garbage oil and also, new NGK plug and valve adjust....but I'm sure you've read this a thousand times here already.

I'd say the only thing I don't like about the Rhino so far (after doing all the normal stuff) is that it's geared for Interstate 80. Funonemax had a rear sprocket made in Texas somewhere and I need to get one here next month. I'm not sure if you can get any smaller countershaft sprocket on it with the 520 chain. I'll be interested to see how yours turns out.

Again welcome and keep the pics coming!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply 2LZ

It seems the first offering of the Rhino was put together with left over inventory from the 250D line at the start. Think it's why why specs are varied. TaoTao seems to be stream lining there offerings. Not sure if I am receiving an early model or current production.

Won't buy any parts until the Rhino is in my possession. I have read enough contradicting specs in the last weeks to make my head spin.

I have read lots about the oil but still am not sure what brand and weight to use. I always flush the oil my new Predator engines and am strict on changing oil very frequently. My small engines have seemed to like it and all lasted a very long time.

I have heard some say the engine doesn't like NGK plugs so a little lost there. I have always used them with no trouble.

Was planning on the valve adjust after first starting it and seeing where it's at. This is ok right?

Read elsewhere that flushing the stock brake fluid and changing to silicone brake fluid makes a big difference. Sounds good but not sure about it.

And I understand that the engine needs 91 octane or higher.

When I know I will not be using a small engine for some time I will idle with the fuel shutoff. It does seem to eliminate most issues on all my small engines to run the fuel out of the carb and not let it sit to long.

I also plan on changing the fuel line to a better grade. Chain too with the sprocket upgrade.

Let me know if any of that is good or bad.

Yeah that sprocket Funonemax has looks nice.. I can get aluminum Azuza blanks nearby from Jacks Small Engines for the rear sprocket and machine them to fit nicely with my mill. Just not sure how many teeth I need. Or what chain size mine will come with. Reading either 530 or 520 chain. The bank out of the creek is a bit steep. But if all else fails I have the winch to get me out. I was able to do it with the Baja with the trailer in tow.

Definitely not looking for highway speeds. The Rhino will be run mostly in the 10mph and lower range in true mule fashion.

Yeah the Baja is a fun bike. I always see them up on Craigslist cheap. With the 212cc motor and the TAV2 it's a beast. I have the spring set on low speed and high torque. It runs it about as fast as I'm willing to run on open roads. It's fun cruising around with on the dirt roads. I galled the go kart clutch on it first trip out. The TAV2 made a huge difference, so did the larger rear sprocket.... it just doesn't like the creek crossings when the belt starts to slip. That part has been a thorn in my side for a long time and a push for me to go the chain drive ATV route. It's served me well but time to move on.

LOL it almost was converted to a Grasshopper ATV like this... the converter belt slipping was the only reason I didn't give it a try.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
Thanks for the reply 2LZ

It seems the first offering of the Rhino was put together with left over inventory from the 250D line at the start. Think it's why why specs are varied. TaoTao seems to be stream lining there offerings. Not sure if I am receiving an early model or current production.

Won't buy any parts until the Rhino is in my possession. I have read enough contradicting specs in the last weeks to make my head spin.

I have read lots about the oil but still am not sure what brand and weight to use. I always flush the oil my new Predator engines and am strict on changing oil very frequently. My small engines have seemed to like it and all lasted a very long time.

I have heard some say the engine doesn't like NGK plugs so a little lost there. I have always used them with no trouble.

Was planning on the valve adjust after first starting it and seeing where it's at. This is ok right?

Read elsewhere that flushing the stock brake fluid and changing to silicone brake fluid makes a big difference. Sounds good but not sure about it.

And I understand that the engine needs 91 octane or higher.

When I know I will not be using a small engine for some time I will idle with the fuel shutoff. It does seem to eliminate most issues on all my small engines to run the fuel out of the carb and not let it sit to long.

I also plan on changing the fuel line to a better grade. Chain too with the sprocket upgrade.

Let me know if any of that is good or bad.

Yeah that sprocket Funonemax has looks nice.. I can get aluminum Azuza blanks nearby from Jacks Small Engines for the rear sprocket and machine them to fit nicely with my mill. Just not sure how many teeth I need. Or what chain size mine will come with. Reading either 530 or 520 chain. The bank out of the creek is a bit steep. But if all else fails I have the winch to get me out. I was able to do it with the Baja with the trailer in tow.

Definitely not looking for highway speeds. The Rhino will be run mostly in the 10mph and lower range in true mule fashion.

Yeah the Baja is a fun bike. I always see them up on Craigslist cheap. With the 212cc motor and the TAV2 it's a beast. I have the spring set on low speed and high torque. It runs it about as fast as I'm willing to run on open roads. It's fun cruising around with on the dirt roads. I galled the go kart clutch on it first trip out. The TAV2 made a huge difference, so did the larger rear sprocket.... it just doesn't like the creek crossings when the belt starts to slip. That part has been a thorn in my side for a long time and a push for me to go the chain drive ATV route. It's served me well but time to move on.

LOL it almost was converted to a Grasshopper ATV like this... the converter belt slipping was the only reason I didn't give it a try.
What a cool little cruiser that green unit is!

Specs on China bike sites are inaccurate at best. I think there's a lot of cutting, pasting and guessing tha goes into it. I'm not sure what Tao Tao's up to. I quit trying to keep up with CB's, year to year, a long time ago. My Rhino has two lower shock mounts in the front for a higher or lower height setting. I kept mine on the low and it still clears most everything.

Oil, your best bet, especially with a new motor is probably any 15W/40. I run either the Rotella or the Walmart house brand, Super Tech. After break in, I usually go to synthetic (Rotella T6)....but that's just my preference. Many here run the 15W/40 diesel oil forever and their motors last a long time, like Spuds 70,000 mile Zong Sierra.

Nothing wrong with keeping good, clean oil. They hold so little it's cheap insurance.
I've always had excellent luck with NGK plugs. I saw a sales rep fire one imersed in oil once and that did it for me. Especially at the time having nothing but two strokes, SOLD! I have an iridium n Q right now with no issues and my Hondoids have the regular NGK's in them. The stock plugs these come with are as good as the oil they come with! ;-)

Regarding the valves, may as well run it and see how it runs. Odds are they're tight though. For some reason, all of my Hondoids have been like that out-of-box. Just make sure and adjust them ice cold, after sitting overnight.

I've never changed my brake fluid (probably should) but I'd NOT recommend going with DOT 5 (silicone) like a Harley uses. I switched to 3 from 5 on my old Harley chopper once and it turned to jello overnight, AFTER I flushed out the 5! Had to replace the entire line and rebuild both calipers. That sucked.... I'd stick with DOT 3 or 4.

Good idea on the fuel line. I usually change all my CB fuel libnes because in the olden days, it was garbage...but the Rhino line seemed pretty nice AND came with an inline filter!. I'm keeping an eye on it though.....

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 05-07-2016, 05:09 PM   #5

Cool thanks for the advice!! Didn't know about the inline filter. Does it have a shutoff valve?

I hate this waiting part. I wanna get my wrench on.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Cool thanks for the advice!! Didn't know about the inline filter. Does it have a shutoff valve?

I hate this waiting part. I wanna get my wrench on.
Waiting sucks! I've been waiting on a TT250 since February!...but we all knew that going in so I have my "patience hat" on.

Yes! I was shocked to see that it also cam with a petcock inline just south of the fuel filter. Other than the normal China stuff you deal with, I was very happy with the value of the Rhino, what it came with and how CB's have seemed to improve over the last decade.

I can't wait to se some uncrating pics! Wait till you see the square tires. They roll much better once you add atmosphere and make them more "round". ;-)

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 05-08-2016, 08:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Waiting sucks! I've been waiting on a TT250 since February!...but we all knew that going in so I have my "patience hat" on.
;-)
Here's for you 2LZ! But seriously ... hand me an oar, I wanna help row this "waiting" boat with ya
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tp1.jpg (58.1 KB, 2271 views)

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-08-2016, 09:47 AM   #8

From what I have learned square tires are ok... so will give them a try. That atmosphere stuff sounds pricey.

The fuel shutoff is nice to have. So that's one thing I will not need to upgrade. I buy those little inline fuel filters in bulk so they go on everything I own. Happy to hear they come with one. Little stuff like that makes a difference.

I'm seeing on yours it also has the front spindle adjustment to tweak the canting. Hoping mine has it.. some pics I have seen have no adjustment which is a bit lame.

From the Estes tracking it still hasn't left there shop yet....

All I get is...
Reserved PRO, Shipment not tendered by shipper
We're sorry, but we cannot calculate an estimated delivery date.

Killin me. Will help row the waiting boat too.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:09 PM   #9

Here's a pic of the petcock and filter. I like that the petcock is inline-style so it's easily replaceable if it goes bad.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Last edited by 2LZ; 12-31-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:39 PM   #10

Cool.. wish they had a product manual pdf you can download like normal manufacturers do. Surprised they don't.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Cool.. wish they had a product manual pdf you can download like normal manufacturers do. Surprised they don't.
Welcome to China Bikes. Even if they had a manual, it would either be wrong or made for 12 different, "almost closely related" bikes.
By FAR the best manual I have is for Q. It's the exact manual for the exact bike. I'm looking forward to scouring the manual Joe did for CSC on the TT250.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 05-09-2016, 11:50 AM   #12

Welcome Darth Racer!

You found the right site with the right peeps for your Rhino. 2LZ needed another Rhino owner to discuss mods with, lol. The waiting game is the worst……

Earlier you asked about using 91 octane gas and the need to run it in your Quad. I did some looking online and most said our 87 octane will work fine in these rigs. If I am wrong someone will let me know.

Owners manuals for my quads were very generic and difficult to read......

Old 05-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Welcome Darth Racer!
Earlier you asked about using 91 octane gas and the need to run it in your Quad......
Thanks Swampy! I missed this one!
Regarding octane, the Chinese use a different measuring system for octane than we do. This just came up here somewhere else last week. 87 will be fine.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 05-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #14

These were the best instructions that came with mine. I have two worthless "barometers" because they didn't include the "ruler". I will keep them out of the dust condition though.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barometer 1.jpg (40.6 KB, 2196 views)

Old 05-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #15

Thanks guys. Do you think 91 would hurt anything though? I see a big difference in my truck when there is a heavy load on the back.. 87 octane it can do 65mph with 1300lbs on the back... horsepower is weak.

91 octane and its more responsive... more power.. higher speed and better hill climbing.

Yeah have to agree with what you both said about owners manuals. Reading the specs on TaoTao's site, the manuals would probably be just as inaccurate.

Thanks for the welcome Swampy. Yeah it seems some of the other forums out there will just take swings at you for owning one of these. Can do without all that forum dribble from over ego'd fanboys.

UPDATE
Sent TX Powersports and email today asking if my Rhino has been shipped yet. They responded 15 minutes later (not bad).. was supposed to go out Friday but the truck never came. Hopefully it does today and there not just blowing smoke up my butt.

Back to rowing I guess.

Picked up some led's at Radio Shack today. Figured it would occupy my head some while I wait. I want to machine up some sort of custom bezel and engrave the shift positions in it R/N/1/2/3/4. Have plenty of Delrin and Aluminum scrap to work with. Will figure something out.