Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2016, 01:17 PM   #1

Kinda sorta off topic China taking over Canada

Recent reports of a huge influx of Chinese purchasing property in Canada driving up the property prices and pricing out the Canadians. So much so the Canadian government just passed a special tax on any property sales sold to Chinese buyers. So to get on topic does the influx of Chinese into Canada have any affect on the China bike market? I would have to guess yes in a positive way. Canadian members please chime in.

/

Old 11-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #2

There's only a foreign buyer real estate tax in BC, to my knowledge. I'm unaware of anything on a federal level. Real estate sales to foreign buyers has dropped significantly, compared to 2015. It is certainly not specific to Chinese buyers, it's anyone who is not Canadian.

China bikes are almost as rare as unicorn tears in Canada. We got a few dual sports (of which I have two), but the vast majority have been restricted use (RUM) bikes for off-road only. Transport Canada is very tough on new products coming in, and it is a costly process. Only the big motorcycle companies go through the process, so they can sell road-legal bikes here.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-19-2016, 05:25 PM   #3

I am with Weld on this ,where I live there are not a lot of Chinese people ,so not a problem that I am aware of ,we do have a larger new population of Indians ,they could become a problem here ,but they are a problem in Toronto already ,as for Chinese bikes ,quads and dirt bikes ,scooters ,go karts ,yes ,but not a lot of dual sports on the road .

Old 11-19-2016, 06:25 PM   #4

Hey guys I don't know if this is internet forum faux pas but this is a copy and paste from another forum I belong to and its what got me interested since we have so many Canadian members here with China bikes. Also it was mentioned in the same thread on the other forum by one of our very own members G19 Tony who is a pilot if you guys are aware stated he has been getting private charters in Canada and all have been Chinese nationals.

Here is the post from the other forum:

Had a discussion with a long time Canadian friend yesterday, that happens to live just outside the fair city of Vancouver B.C.
If you ever have a chance to visit there, do so; beautiful scenery, friendly people--for the most part--and a temperate climate.
Except...lately it would seem that a major case of real estate mania has struck, largely fueled by Chinese buyers willing to pay just about anything for a house or land. According to my friend, prices have gone up 30% in just the last year and her house has more than doubled in value in the last 5 years; they've decided to take the money and run.

Apparently, as the attached link shows, the downside is that the locals essentially get priced out of the market and aren't happy about that. Not a new story--has happened in several areas of the US over the years--but the speed that this one hit has surprised many. Add to that, the $'s being used to fuel it appear to be hot and the local politicos don't seem terribly interested to limit the incoming $, ill-gotten or not.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/....itish-columbia

/

Old 11-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #5

There is a long history of people in my area who descend from India. They pre-date a lot of the Caucasian people in the area, and their original temple is over 100 years old and is a heritage site. They do not drive up the price of real estate in the area, since they wish to pay fair market value like everyone else here.

Adjuster, the page you linked does not appear; I suspect it is an old article. The Provincial government had the political will to take action on foreign buyers who would pay virtually any price, so they enacted the 15% tax in BC. Sales have dropped dramatically, but that also ties in with the usual slow-down of real estate after June. We'll see what happens in 2017. If the foreign buyers really will pay any amount, the 15% tax won't deter them.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #6

Send them to SE Kansas. They can buy whole towns.