Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2016, 11:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport Chic View Post
RJ - can you shoot me the information on the new spring you acquired - I need to find it and buy it to save my fragile back.
Just call them and tell them you need the lighter spring 365/495. I believe I have very little preload on spring with all luggage removed and just riding around town. If I bottom out lots and have luggage , Then I put more preload on spring. The softer spring is longer and gives you more adjustment to play with. I always error on the soft side so I know I'm getting all the travel I paid for. If it only bottoms on really hard pot holes a few times I just let it go and ride it. At 60 yo I'm not worried about impressing any one and like it cushier on my tushier. rj

Old 12-28-2016, 07:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Just call them and tell them you need the lighter spring 365/495.
Ok - a few questions:

I need to know full dimensions of this spring - is it a stock Progressive spring and what is the normal application of it - what type of bike etc.? Was it modified at all?

Will it change the height of the bike etc. as I am already challenged by the existing height of the bike with a 29" inseam.

Can I change it out for my existing spring and will I get credit for sending back the 1158 400/450 as it only has 1500 miles on it?

I assume you purchased it from Progressive? How much did you pay for the new spring? Can you provide the name of the person you spoke with at Progressive about the change out as the person I spoke with knew nothing about my 450 spring - didn't even know it existed.

I am about 140 lbs and will have up to 40 lbs of luggage if I should choose to travel with the bike. I do plan to take it off-slab - gravel roads only as I have other bikes to take on more gnarly terrain.

Want the next spring I put on the bike to fit both the bike and myself as I have felt the frustration of trying to dial in suspension in the past - along with the cost of it and really don't want to walk down that road again.

Thank you for allowing me to pepper you with all these questions RJ - while I am a very tenured rider, mechanical stuff ain't my gig so lots for me to learn from those with actual experience in this area.
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Old 12-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #18

On a different note, I'll be working with the stock shock when I'm putting the lowering link on the new RX3 for Mrs. 2LZ. I was able to set up the stocker pretty well with my white one so fingers crossed I can do the same between preload and dampening with the new bike.
I'll be taking off the bags and rear bars so hopefully I can set tit up light enough for that and her.......

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #19

DS, the spring is a Progressive one...and now CSC has them in stock. As I recall, mine cost about $70. I think the softer spring won't change the seat height since the shock itself can only extend to the limit of its travel, no matter what spring is installed. I doubt you can get any credit for trading in your 'old' spring. Of course you can talk to Ryan or Steve at CSC and see what kind of help they offer. Swapping the spring out is a pretty easy task. You will have to take the shock off the bike (a good time to grease all those bearings).

Peter Y.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
DS, the spring is a Progressive one...and now CSC has them in stock. As I recall, mine cost about $70. I think the softer spring won't change the seat height since the shock itself can only extend to the limit of its travel, no matter what spring is installed. I doubt you can get any credit for trading in your 'old' spring. Of course you can talk to Ryan or Steve at CSC and see what kind of help they offer. Swapping the spring out is a pretty easy task. You will have to take the shock off the bike (a good time to grease all those bearings).

Peter Y.
DS Chicky, same as above for me, I went through CSC $80, Progressive is pretty mum about the shock and told me to deal with CSC. Ryan no longer works at CSC , got a job teaching where Joe teaches I believe.
My inseam is about 28" so you shouldn't see any difference. Don't have bike in front of me as its put away for winter. The spring is longer then the one that came on the shock which makes it work better through out the travel it seems. rj

Old 12-29-2016, 06:22 AM   #21

Thank you gentlemen for the good information. Spring is on the way from CSC. Looking forward to getting it on the bike and testing it out - hoping it will provide the fix I seek.

Once again - great customer service from Steve and Gerry. Nice to talk with Matt as well. Best wishes to Ryan in his new career.
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Old 12-29-2016, 10:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Ryan no longer works at CSC , got a job teaching where Joe teaches I believe.
Whaaaat?!? Bummer as I enjoyed working with Ryan. But if the change to teaching where Joe teaches is better for Ryan, I'm happy for him! He was an awesome guy to deal with.

But this does explain the used bike for sale at CSC. I was wondering who had that bike, especially with the KIPO exhaust. I am guessing it was the bike that Ryan was riding. Whoever buys that bike is going to get a well kitted and maintained bike.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #23

I emailed Ryan a few weeks ago and Steve returned the email. Said he'd got a teaching job. I was happy for Ryan but concerned for us, as Ryan was our main contact. Hopefully everything will move along smoothly in the transition.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 12-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #24

I've been working with Matt now for a while on the new items I'd purchased around black Friday and year end and he was great to deal with. On a question I had that he didn't know the answer to he went into inventory and pulled things apart to take pictures to confirm what was needed for the order. Above and beyond as usual for CSC.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
I've been working with Matt now for a while on the new items I'd purchased around black Friday and year end and he was great to deal with. On a question I had that he didn't know the answer to he went into inventory and pulled things apart to take pictures to confirm what was needed for the order. Above and beyond as usual for CSC.
Do you have a direct email for Matt? I sent a question on the "contact us" link o(since Ryan had vaporized) on the website last week and have yet to get a response. They must be super busy, year end is what I'm thinking.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 12-29-2016, 09:12 PM   #26

Yes. matt at cscmotorcycles.com

Tags
preload, progressive suspension, sag, shock