Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #1

110cc or 50cc

heres the issue,
we are going to buy our granddaughter a 4 wheeler for her 3rd birthday, my thought is to get the 110cc which has the remote and can be throttled back to 5mph, and can be turned up as she grows, the wife thinks its too big and wants to buy the 50cc, just because its smaller,
im thinking she will outgrow the 50cc by next year and we will be buying the 110cc anyways.

what are your thoughts ??

Old 04-01-2017, 09:21 PM   #2

both are a bad choice...
Yamaha 700 raptor is the way to go...

get the 110...she will out grow the 50....
plus the bonus of the 110 is it will rip up the lawn
better that a silly little 50...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 04-01-2017, 09:27 PM   #3

3 years old is a bit young. A small bicycle with training wheels is pushing it. Think you are safer off waiting until she matures a bit both physically and mentally. 8th birthday and then consider it.

In the mean time one of those battery driven Power Wheels might be a better match and your grandchild will love you to no end for it.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
3 years old is a bit young. A small bicycle with training wheels is pushing it. Think you are safer off waiting until she matures a bit both physically and mentally. 8th birthday and then consider it.

In the mean time one of those battery driven Power Wheels might be a better match and your grandchild will love you to no end for it.

both my girls started out on an old suzuki 250 quad runner i used to have at the same age, we didnt just turn them loose, i was on it with them , 1st gear only, helmets and pads were a must..., i didnt teach them how to shift until later, by age 7 they were riding a yamaha pw50 we used to have. it was all under close supervision.

today they both own their own bikes and wheelers and its something we have gotten to enjoy for a long time.

i fully agree with you that it isnt something that you can just give them and say go have a good time, but place them in a safe and controlled environment and let them learn how to use it properly.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #5

Well if that's the case and your daughter is okay with it go for it. 110 if she can touch the pedals standing up and have a little space between them. The models in between 50cc and 110cc I don't hear much about but might fit better. Didn't know they came with a manual tranny.. only in 1st gear would help.

I bought my niece one of those power wheels when she was about that age... flipped on the hill when she decided to jerk the wheel.... then came her sister with similar issues... the barbie jeep was then painted blue for the boys... the oldest one was sketchy on it.. finally the youngest was pretty good on it. Probably the only one of them I would stick on a ATV. I think because he is the youngest and has to defend himself constantly from his 3 older siblings attacks his hand eye coordination is well developed. LOL

Old 04-02-2017, 10:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
both are a bad choice...
Yamaha 700 raptor is the way to go...

get the 110...she will out grow the 50....
plus the bonus of the 110 is it will rip up the lawn
better that a silly little 50...

Hey Pete, I'm with you. At risk of pissing old kid off, I wouldn't be getting any thing powered more than a barbie electric car for a 3 year old. Or what the hell, let er rip with the 700
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #7

maybe next year we will consider the 700

if you take a look at the electric atv you will find that they are roughly the same overall dimensions and about 50 pounds lighter than the 110cc gas powered ones, both have a low end operating speed of 5mph, the electric max is 10 mph,
the gas ones come with a remote that can shut it down, the electric only allows for the speed to be controlled from a switch located on the atv,
the brake on the electric is the motor itself just let off the throttle,
both cost basically the same , the electric one we looked at at toys-r-us was $500,
5mph on an electric atv is the same 5mph on the gas powered atv, and the gas powered one will grow with her and has more of the features she will need to learn how to use,
the 50cc atv is the same weight as the electric one, 101 pounds,and overall smaller dimensions, with all the same features as the 110cc, that was why we were considering the 50cc, the 110cc atv we were thinking she would get a couple more years out of before she outgrew it.