Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #1

Another from Colorado

Hi,

Last fall I purchased a Coolster 70 for my nephew's 7th birthday. He loves it and is getting pretty good at riding. I think soon I will have to buy a bike to chase him around, since his skills are outgrowing our property. I'm torn between a used Japanese bike and a new Chinese bike. That Coolster has run great and we will pass it down to his little brother when he outgrows it. I like the Apollo 250 and a Google search is what led me here. I'm up in Wellington, CO between Ft. Collins and Cheyenne, WY.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:19 PM   #2

Hello and welcome to the forum

How's the weather where you are today? Was really foggy, rainy, and cold this morning where I'm at way up here in the North

Don't know much about the Apollo bikes, but I do know if you spend a little time with these China Bikes, they can turn into some amazing little machines

Let me know if you want to see the little Bashan with the 197cc Lifan engine... should give a decent idea of what the larger Apollo 250 will do

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum

How's the weather where you are today? Was really foggy, rainy, and cold this morning where I'm at way up here in the North

Don't know much about the Apollo bikes, but I do know if you spend a little time with these China Bikes, they can turn into some amazing little machines

Let me know if you want to see the little Bashan with the 197cc Lifan engine... should give a decent idea of what the larger Apollo 250 will do
I might take you up on that. I'm 47 and the likelihood of me wanting to get real crazy is small. I was looking at a used TT-R230 Yamaha, but they cost the same or more. My plan is to buy a "real" carb the same time I order the bike since that seems to be the chief complaint.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:44 PM   #4

You should be fine either way. The problem I can think of with a used Japanese bike is you never know how it was treated (which might be the reason for the sale). Of course you already knew that. Chinabikes are fairly stout as long as you break in the engine correctly. And of course, you were not planning on taking it to compete at the MX track. The market for used seems to be about half about what you paid, which is better than it used to be when people were dumping these things on Craigslist; if you are concerned with things like that (I am of the belief that if I buy a bike in a box, there is the possibility that I will never sell it because I either broke it, or I like it too much--oh, and I wasn't suggesting YOU find a used Chinabike unless it was running and being 'dumped' out of desperation).

The other brand besides Apollo to consider is the XMoto brand, but those aren't as plentiful as the Apollo, and the Apollo has a growing ownership base, which means there are plenty of other resources out there (here on Chinariders for instance) to work through troubleshooting.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-01-2017, 05:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
You should be fine either way. The problem I can think of with a used Japanese bike is you never know how it was treated (which might be the reason for the sale). Of course you already knew that. Chinabikes are fairly stout as long as you break in the engine correctly. And of course, you were not planning on taking it to compete at the MX track. The market for used seems to be about half about what you paid, which is better than it used to be when people were dumping these things on Craigslist; if you are concerned with things like that (I am of the belief that if I buy a bike in a box, there is the possibility that I will never sell it because I either broke it, or I like it too much--oh, and I wasn't suggesting YOU find a used Chinabike unless it was running and being 'dumped' out of desperation).

The other brand besides Apollo to consider is the XMoto brand, but those aren't as plentiful as the Apollo, and the Apollo has a growing ownership base, which means there are plenty of other resources out there (here on Chinariders for instance) to work through troubleshooting.
I'm torn between a used Yamaha TTR230 and the Apollo, even used the Apollo is the cheaper route. I am taking the nephew for his 1st trip to the Berthoud Moto Park kids track on Friday. Maybe I'll see what everyone else is riding while I'm there spectating.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:04 PM   #6

Hello Colorado riders. The Jet Moto 150 from Raceway is another pretty impressive China quad with disc brakes up front and air shocks.