Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2017, 10:04 PM   #1

taotao 125 bogs under load

Hey everyone. I have 2 different atv's exhibiting the same issue. Both are 125cc. 1 is newer with probably 30 or so hours on it. Other is an unknown year freebie, that was sitting behind a friends shed for who knows how long. This one I replaced the carb, throttle cable, CDI, coil and plug, and all fluids. The new one is 100% out of the crate stock other than an NGK plug.

Both of them, under a load, at say 30% throttle, bog, and backfire. It happens when I am trying to accelerate quickly, not at cruising. I have yet to do anything to troubleshoot either of them as of yet, and also dont want to keep throwing parts at it hoping that will fix it.

Any suggestions what to start with?

Old 04-09-2017, 05:05 AM   #2

Have you checked intake valve clearance, or maybe running too rich?

Old 04-09-2017, 08:21 AM   #3

Weird both of them are doing the same thing. Only thing I could suggest is drain the gas and put some new "fresh" gas in. Obtained from a different gas station if possible.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #4

You might just be too big for a 125. The engines can only handle so much load. How much do you wiegh?

Old 04-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss103 View Post
Have you checked intake valve clearance, or maybe running too rich?
I have not done anything to troubleshoot them as of yet. It looks simple enough and I will check that first since thats a freebie repair. Thank you for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
Weird both of them are doing the same thing. Only thing I could suggest is drain the gas and put some new "fresh" gas in. Obtained from a different gas station if possible.
I filled up the TaoTao 150cc and the 110 cc with gas from the same container and all is well with both of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackattack91 View Post
You might just be too big for a 125. The engines can only handle so much load. How much do you wiegh?
I am to big for the 125, I don't ride it, my 8 year old daughter does.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk View Post
Hey everyone. I have 2 different atv's exhibiting the same issue. Both are 125cc. 1 is newer with probably 30 or so hours on it. Other is an unknown year freebie, that was sitting behind a friends shed for who knows how long. This one I replaced the carb, throttle cable, CDI, coil and plug, and all fluids. The new one is 100% out of the crate stock other than an NGK plug.

Both of them, under a load, at say 30% throttle, bog, and backfire. It happens when I am trying to accelerate quickly, not at cruising. I have yet to do anything to troubleshoot either of them as of yet, and also dont want to keep throwing parts at it hoping that will fix it.

Any suggestions what to start with?
If it is getting through the first quarter throttle turn OK, but starts back firing when you turn it up farther, could be a lean condition at that point. You can raise the needle to the next notch (or if it has no notches but one put 1 or 2 thin washers under it), just remember that dirt in the float bowl can cause this problem. So can ethenol gas if it has been in there very long. I advise trying to find a station that sells non-ethenol gas for the future, if that turns out to be the problem...ARH