Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2008, 04:54 PM   #1

Opinions & Info on Hi-Bird 250cc QH-250-IIA (Nighthawk c

I'm a new rider (just completed the MSF Course) and I've been looking at a new bike and found a Hi-Bird QH-250-IIA on eBay. Great looking bike, great price ($1299 shipped). 250cc, more powerful and maybe faster than the 200cc LF200III I'm also looking at. URL is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-H...spagenameZWD1V

There are some things about it that concern me though, and I hope some people have some opinions or experience so I can make an educated decision.

* The tires are pretty narrow, more narrow than an actual Nighthawk. I worry it won't have the traction to be safe.

* Most 250cc inline-twin Japanese bikes say their top speed is 75-80. Is it realistic to expect a bike like this can go 65 without having to run at super-high rpms all the time? (the redline in the pictures is higher than 10,000 rpm which gives me hope)

* I don't know a thing about carburetors (I grew up in the age of fuel-injection), is it that hard to adjust a carb if I need to?

* I've heard that Chinese engines are solid, but it's the frames that are the weak spot. Is there any real risk of the frame snapping on me?

Thanks for any opinions on this. Also, if anyone has any other suggestions on cheap beginner bikes I'd love to hear them.[/url]

Old 03-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #2

I think it is a pretty cool looking bike...

I don't know about the tires, I would be more concerned with the material they're made of, my lifan gy5 had King Stone tires which were very hard rubber, and that made them not stick to the road very well. My gy6 has CST (cheng shin I believe) tires, and they wear a lot faster, but they stick to the road way better... Either way you could probably change them... I know some people have put wider tires on their LF200 III (sportbikes)...

This is a single cylinder not a twin, but it should be able to do 65, you may need to change sprockets, not sure what that comes with...

I haven't had to adjust my carberators on my lifan, but from what I gather it shouldn't be too complicated...

I don't think you would have an issue with the frame, then again I don't know that anyone here is familiar with this specific bike....

Keep in mind I am not an expert, or very mechanical...

Old 03-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #3

It is a neat looking bike.If your concerned about tire width I think this is a cool looking bike.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND...em220212137569

Old 03-17-2008, 01:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kczukiman
It is a neat looking bike.If your concerned about tire width I think this is a cool looking bike.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND...em220212137569
Yeah, I have been looking at those too -- I'm willing to bet that's another rebranded Lifan LF200III. I've seen some video of those and it looks like they have a hard time hitting 60mph since they're only 200cc with an 8500rpm redline with 16 horsepower (vs 20hp reported for the 250cc). But I do like the way they look and they are very light (280 lbs dry) and they come with nice wide tires.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #5

Too bad they don't make it in a 250.Do you remeber where you seen the video on it?

Old 03-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kczukiman
Too bad they don't make it in a 250.Do you remeber where you seen the video on it?

The speedo looks like it's "floating" a bit (the leftmost gauge), and the redline on it (redline on a speedo?) is at 60mph with the redline on the tach at 8500.

I wish wish wish it was a 250 with a high rev limit, then it would be a no brainer to buy.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #7

I would venture a guess that 70mph is the top speed on the hibird without a regearing.

I wouldn't concern yourself with the frame or width of tire. The 250 is not putting out enough power to overcome that size of tire. If the tire seems to hard get a different stickier tire.

Allen

Old 03-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #8

Hi. Thats a really nice bike. It reminds me of my first bike, way back when.

With a little "tuning" it could be improved if you like.

Tires, gear ratio change, carburetor improvements. etc are commonly done today, just as they were done since the birth of the internal combustion engine.

I'm sure that you will get any advise needed to help you enjoy whatever bike you choose to buy.

Thanks. Buyingchina

Old 03-18-2008, 08:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I would venture a guess that 70mph is the top speed on the hibird without a regearing.

I wouldn't concern yourself with the frame or width of tire. The 250 is not putting out enough power to overcome that size of tire. If the tire seems to hard get a different stickier tire.

Allen
Hi, that is my old red tms 200 or LF200-III from T-Motor sports. Yes this was before the any mods, before I sold that bike I have seen 90mph in fourth gear at redline, got a video of it somewhere, of course this was after all of the basic mods.

The speedo did float on that bike but not on my other bikes so far.

Anyway, you can change out the tires, air filter, jet, rear sprocket, exhaust and have a decent little bike for the money that will easily cruise with traffic.

Almon