Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2018, 11:11 PM   #1

I should of left it stock

Got the bike was running pretty good , did the heat cycles to break it in, changed the oil, then decided to put the mikuni carb in, I watched the videos did exactly what they did and It Boggs out like crazy , have to give it gas to start it so thinking either I put it in wrong , so I actually ordered another one insane I know, same thing have to give it gas to start and Boggs our at a certain rpm I’m not to mechanical but I thought this was supposed to be easy, I put the 110 jet in the carb but I see that being done in the videos , not sure what to do here ? Does the carb just need to be tuned how do you do that ? After I start it let it warm up the electric start does work right when I push it but not after it sits a bit , I’m just sort of lost here ...can someone take the time to walk me through this I’m very frustatayed

Old 04-14-2018, 11:16 PM   #2

I live inWest Haven ct and if someone is rather close I will pay someone to help me out with this, I just want to get this running at 100%

Old 04-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #3

Sounds to me like you just don't have the carb tuned properly. Put a 115 main jet in it and move the circlip on the needle to the middle groove. Start there. I'm betting that 110 jet you have in there still isn't enough once the carb comes on to the Main jet circuit.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #4

I’m not a Mikuni guy, I cut my teeth on Holley 1904 carbs* and mostly play with Kiehin VB and CVK carbs now. That said, a carb is a carb, no matter who makes it. They all do the same thing, mix fuel and air in the correct ratio so things can go bang efficiently. Carbs are not all that complicated, so most anyone on the forum can walk you through it.

We do need some more info. And yes, the carb will need to be tuned.

If you need twist the throttle to start the engine, I think your needle is too deep in the main jet and needs to be raised.

Bogging at in a certain rpm range is a jetting issue. Is the bogging associated with a ‘popping’ sound through the carb? That would indicate a lean condition and would need a fatter jet. Just the other way if there is no noise, the mixture is too rich at this point and a smaller jet is needed. A look at the business end of your spark plug will also help. Black and sooty, too rich. White, too lean. Should be tan in color.

I would go to the Mikuni website and download everything you can about your specific carb and study it. And don’t fret about not being mechanically inclined, no one is born that way.

The issue with the starter is an electrical problem, and may nothing more than a bum relay but needs to traced in the circuit to determine where the problem is located.

I know that others will chime in to help, too.

*Stock carb on a 1952 Ford 215 six. I’m old.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 04-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #5

Black n sooty

I did change the spark plug yesterday and did look black n sooty , what I’m going to do first is take some pics n videos of the bogging sound and go from there ,

Old 04-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #6

Mike, what engine is this? What is it in?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #7

The description kind of hints at the valve adjustment being too tight.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #8

Sounds like it's dumping fuel. Especially now you've confirmed it has a sooty plug.

1- Is the slide in the correct way? We did have a very capable member here accidentally put it in backwards. The slant on the bottom should go toward the air filter.
2- Is the choke on in full position? Take the air filter boot off and look at it.
3- Take it off and check the float level. With two of them though, I doubt two float levels would be off to create the same symptoms.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #9

I’m sort of going insane with the whole thing just making things worse here every time I take something off it gets worse now the battery is not charging any Ignitionis not working Do any of you guys live close to West Haven Connecticut to have some time on her hands and want to make a few dollars

Old 04-21-2018, 08:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Sounds like it's dumping fuel. Especially now you've confirmed it has a sooty plug.

1- Is the slide in the correct way? We did have a very capable member here accidentally put it in backwards. The slant on the bottom should go toward the air filter.
2- Is the choke on in full position? Take the air filter boot off and look at it.
3- Take it off and check the float level. With two of them though, I doubt two float levels would be off to create the same symptoms.
I took it how it came off don’t think I put it on backwards I looks ed at so many videos I feel I did everything right is it just me idk it’s making me feel awful cause it was riding perfect when I first got it, I know I’m not capable of doing this I just know it

Old 04-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #11

You can do it Mike. You have to take the attitude that you are learning a lot from this; not that you screwed up.
Remember the words of Red Green; "If it aint broke, you ain't tryin hard enough!"