Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2019, 03:18 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthRider View Post
We took the new bikes out to Red Rock Canyon near Las Vegas over Christmas vacation, and everything went great.

We were able to do some riding and break in the new BMS CRP250s. We are VERY pleased with these bikes! They started right up and ran just great! We were both surprised at how well they handle.

We were riding almost exclusively on paved roads, with a little bit of gravel road riding. The Red Rock Canyon scenic loop is a really fun road to ride on motorcycles, and the scenery is amazing!

We camped at an area nearby. Unfortunately, the Red Rock campground was closed due to the government shut down, so we had to boondock about 15 miles away.

I used to go mountain biking there every Thanksgiving, I'd start from Blue Diamond and ride up towards Red Rock canyon. Beautiful area! Lots of wild burros in that area too.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:10 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellkitty View Post
I used to go mountain biking there every Thanksgiving, I'd start from Blue Diamond and ride up towards Red Rock canyon. Beautiful area! Lots of wild burros in that area too.
We weren't lucky enough to see any of the wild burros or horses, but the natural beauty there is amazing!!

Old 01-03-2019, 10:48 AM   #108

Quote:
We haven't clocked as many miles as we'd have liked, that's for sure. We're showing 130 km, which I guess is about 80 miles.

If the vacation had gone according to plan, I like to think that number would be higher!
Sorry if you already mentioned this but I couldn'r find it in the thread. Who did you purchase the bikes from? And how would you rate the experience?

Thanks

Old 01-03-2019, 10:58 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester View Post
Sorry if you already mentioned this but I couldn'r find it in the thread. Who did you purchase the bikes from? And how would you rate the experience?

Thanks
If I remember correctly they got them from Superiorpowersports.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-03-2019, 11:05 AM   #110

I noticed on the website that these do not have a gas guage. Is that correct? I know the Bashan BSR 250 does and the Hawk does too and the cluster is essentially identical. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks

Old 01-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #111

Quote:
I noticed on the website that these do not have a gas guage. Is that correct? I know the Bashan BSR 250 does and the Hawk does too and the cluster is essentially identical. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks
That is correct. No gas gauge on the CRP 250 but the Hawk and BSR 250 do.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-03-2019, 07:58 PM   #112

Quote:

Thanks
We bought them from SuperiorPowersports. The purchasing experience was very good. Actual costs were exactly what we'd been told, and shipping was quick.

When it came time for the MCO paperwork, though, things could have been better. I felt like we were getting a song and dance from SuperiorPowersports, and we were on a tight schedule due to a planned vacation. I finally spoke directly to BMS, and they got the MCOs to me in time.

So, the experience with SuperiorPowersports was kind of a mixed bag.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:04 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
That is correct. No gas gauge on the CRP 250 but the Hawk and BSR 250 do.
Jerry's right -- no gas guage. We didn't see any sending plate or float in the tank, so so it's really not set up to add one as a future mod.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #114

Quote:
Jerry's right -- no gas guage. We didn't see any sending plate or float in the tank, so so it's really not set up to add one as a future mod.
You can add it by buying a gas tank and sender and do a little wiring.
Assuming tank and plastic combo is the same from each bike etc.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:22 AM   #115

So I found this review on a Bashan BSR 250 aka Enforcer. And the review is quite bad and a little concerning to me. Anyone have long term experience that can comment on this review. I know it's only one review but jeez it's bad.

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=71620.0

Thanks

Old 01-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #116

Quote:
So I found this review on a Bashan BSR 250 aka Enforcer. And the review is quite bad and a little concerning to me. Anyone have long term experience that can comment on this review. I know it's only one review but jeez it's bad.

Thanks
ski_rush is/was a member on chinariders. Once he got the bugs worked out he had a change of heart about the bike but couldn't shake the China bike syndrome . He had sold the bike and ended up buying a Suzuki GS500F. If you read some of the other members reviews on here you will see it's a decent bike.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-04-2019, 10:47 AM   #117

Quote:

Thanks
That review is exactly why I put together my Info and Resource thread, with the very first post being about setup and prep on the bike. Many of the issues he had were avoidable, some not.

The fact that he stripped out the handlebar clamps is not a problem with the bike, but a problem with the person who tightened a steel bolt into aluminum. He over tightened it, making him incompetent. This likely spread to all of his other issues.

As a case in point, he also drained the forks the wrong way, by removing the damping rod bolt on the bottom of the fork. Don't ever do this unless you plan on disassembling the forks. Yes, it is possible the bolt was cross threaded from the factory, that happens from time to time. He should never have been removing that bolt to begin with, thus creating his own problems.

The factory batteries and tire tubes are both known poor quality parts on almost all of these bikes. Not surprising there, and he would have found that info for himself if he researched as much as he claims to have.

Front brakes are not the strongest things in the world, it's true. Proper bleeding and actually servicing the calipers during assembly go a long way toward helping that scenario. I would almost guess his caliper was not actuating properly, or the master cylinder had a bad seal. I have never felt like my Hawk's brakes were as weak as he claims. My previous hawk could grab hard enough to lock up and damn near bottom out the front suspension. So, weak? no.

His suspension complaint can be legitimate for a stock bike. Setting up proper rider sag with preload spacers and setting the right fluid level with the right weight of fluid gets rid of most of that.

You get out of these bikes what you put into them. They aren't perfect, but they aren't incapable of being good either. Just ask the many members here that have put thousands of miles on their bikes over the years. If this kind of stuff scares you, then I would suggest to keep saving your money until you can afford a good used Japanese bike. There is a degree of mechanical competence that is required to own these bikes. Just keep in mind that there is a whole community here to help you if you do decide to pull the trigger, and it is a great way to learn and build the skills needed to work on almost any bike.

If you want to talk more, feel free to message me.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
That review is exactly why I put together my Info and Resource thread, with the very first post being about setup and prep on the bike. Many of the issues he had were avoidable, some not.

The fact that he stripped out the handlebar clamps is not a problem with the bike, but a problem with the person who tightened a steel bolt into aluminum. He over tightened it, making him incompetent. This likely spread to all of his other issues.

As a case in point, he also drained the forks the wrong way, by removing the damping rod bolt on the bottom of the fork. Don't ever do this unless you plan on disassembling the forks. Yes, it is possible the bolt was cross threaded from the factory, that happens from time to time. He should never have been removing that bolt to begin with, thus creating his own problems.

The factory batteries and tire tubes are both known poor quality parts on almost all of these bikes. Not surprising there, and he would have found that info for himself if he researched as much as he claims to have.

Front brakes are not the strongest things in the world, it's true. Proper bleeding and actually servicing the calipers during assembly go a long way toward helping that scenario. I would almost guess his caliper was not actuating properly, or the master cylinder had a bad seal. I have never felt like my Hawk's brakes were as weak as he claims. My previous hawk could grab hard enough to lock up and damn near bottom out the front suspension. So, weak? no.

His suspension complaint can be legitimate for a stock bike. Setting up proper rider sag with preload spacers and setting the right fluid level with the right weight of fluid gets rid of most of that.

You get out of these bikes what you put into them. They aren't perfect, but they aren't incapable of being good either. Just ask the many members here that have put thousands of miles on their bikes over the years. If this kind of stuff scares you, then I would suggest to keep saving your money until you can afford a good used Japanese bike. There is a degree of mechanical competence that is required to own these bikes. Just keep in mind that there is a whole community here to help you if you do decide to pull the trigger, and it is a great way to learn and build the skills needed to work on almost any bike.

If you want to talk more, feel free to message me.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Wow!! Thanks for explaining all that. Most of which I kind of already assumed. Most of the time it is operator error. And having a mechanical understanding of a motorcycle is certainly key. Mostly I plan t putz around on fireroads. My days of aggressive riding are over. Just looking for something to bomb around on. At about 1/3 of the price of a used CRF250L I was intrigued. When I saw this particular review my vision became cloudy so I reached out and so far the response is amazing. What an amazing community here.

I am leaning toward the Bashan BSR 250 based on the fact it does have a fuel level indicator and I can get it for about $500 less then the BMS CRP250 from gocartsusa. However on the BMS I like the better forks, wave rotors which may have better stopping power, rear rack, black wheels and overall cosmetically looks better. And it has been confirmed its a Bashan which is also good from what I've read. Would love to hear more feedback on the BMS CRP250 suspension and braking.

Basically from my research it appears all these bikes are rebadged and all parts are interchangeable more or less. It seems some just have slightly better components etc.

Also does anyone have a resource for a build video on the BMS CRP250 or just a general overview of the bike? I found 1 video on youtube that was about 45 seconds long from turbopowersports just doing a quick pan of all 3 colors.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:56 PM   #119

There are 4 bikes imported to the US from Bashan, the Brozz 250, the Storm 250, the BSR 250, and BMS's CRP 250. The Brozz is imported by Peace Sports, the Storm and BSR via a ragtag importer, and BMS's bike by BMS. The BSR was meant to go head to head against the Hawk, so will have shortcomings due to part of what it competes with the Hawk--price. The other 3 are essentially 'premium' Chinese dual sports. I believe the reason the BMS costs more is in anticipation to BMS actually getting its bike CARB certified; there will be thousands of additional dollars for that which will have to be recouped ala CSC's TT250. I was curious about if only BMS's bike was getting certified, and Bashan's N. American rep who I have been in contact with the last few years confirmed that it is. He said they would have to increase Bashan's price per bike if they wanted to have all the bikes CARB certified. The point is, if you wanted a BMS bike, or a Storm or Brozz, you will have a slightly higher quality bike, but will have to pay for it. If you want a Bashan quality bike instead of a Hawk, you will save some money with the BSR, but you will pay for it in sweat! But at least, as compared to its 'premium' stablemates, at least you will have a fuel gauge!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #120

Is the BMS CRP 250 engine counterbalance, if not how are the vibrations at highway speed’s?