Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #1

Thumbs Up Baodiap BD 125 SR6 / Venom X19, A year later

Hello guys and gals it is me! Sharpy! I came back to bring you all the wonderful news.

My Beautiful blue machine is still running strong and loud.

Most recent picture of the bike.

Older pictures.

We all know what these bikes got under their frame so I won't bore you with the base specs, but here is what I did.
-Mikuni Carb Swap
-17t front sprocket
-100% LED lighting
-LED Aux Lightbar 1200 lumen
-A cell phone holder that doubles as a bottle holder
-Photogrommer approved backup sound device
-Akaprovic low mount Exhaust
-Makeshift bracket to support said exhaust.
-Replaced several engine bolts.
-Vagabond Grom SF fender delete
-Aftermarket Grom Tail Light

Distance Traveled: around 1350 miles as of currently. (I'm a trucker I am never home :C )
Always used 93 octane premium fuel.

Problems: None with the bike itself, the craftsmanship of my retainer ring for my sprocket was miserable, so I had to replace that but that's the only non operator error breakdown I had.

Max Speed reached (GPS) 65 mph flat 77 mph downhill

I redlined this bike engine into heck and back. I used high quality lubricants and used a pre trip, post trip inspection technique every day I ride and made adjustments every day. The engine lasted longer than the bolts that mount it by four sets. I am using high grade stainless steel bolts and reinforced mounts with some good ol JB weld and some spare washers. I added some rubber washers to dampen vibrations from the engine to the frame. This helped a lot in preserving high dollar stainless steel bolts. I can now ride this bike on one wheel without it costing me a bolt or two.

The Good that I like: This engine stood the abuse test of time and a rider who liked to push mechanical limits at no holds barred. It was throttle to the max and have no chill. I tool it urban exploring in the DFW area a lot, rode around form anything on highways to storm canals, and even dirt. I broke a lot of frankly unnecessary stuff on it. The rear light housing had to be cut up and it's a bit rough but I put some trim strip around it and it looked good. My bottom retainer bolt for the headlight now supports the lightbar too, a bit of blue loctite and it's not going anywhere until I make it.

The Ride: I loke riding this bike mostly for showing up at grom meets and fooling others into thinking I am one of them, when really I was a cheap clone all along! With my mods though I can keep up with most groms. I usually ride this bike alone since I do a lot of daring stuff.

What I broke: The right footpeg. Simply put, I jumped it. I need a sturdier rearset. I use the passenger peg with a little bolt in rig that I crafted for it out of all my scrap metal.

What I dislike: The handlebars, the way they mount, and the stupid rubber boots you have to thread them through. Pain in the rear to work with a dimpled handlebar mount but I replaced the bar clamps for a slight handlebar rise, when I decide to finally join the renthal crowd and get me a MX handlebar with a welded in cross member I will officially be in the cool crowd. But that's the only complaint I have. if I can, I may just hacksaw off the choke lever since it is not needed with a mikuni.

Overall Impression: I am satisfied with my purchase, if I can give it a score it will go as follows.

Purchasing: 5/5, easiest thing to do with this bike.
Shipping: 0/5, I rented a Uhaul and picked it up myself from the distribution center.
Packaging: 4/5, Box got oil on it somehow and it soaked it up real good, I really needed a new creep pad to work under my car.
Assembly: 4/5, It took me several hours to get it up and going, in that time I also used to apply it's first mods.
Legal Ease of Use: 5/5, dirt cheap to run, and no issues getting it plated and insured.
Riding: 4/5, Your rump gets a little sore due to the lack of ergonomics in the seat, and the side panels can definitely benefit from adding grip pads.
Social Aspect: 5/5, People really seem to turn a head at this bike, it is definitely alien to many as they never seen something so small. When I pick up drinks or snacks with it I always get approached and asked about it.

In the fututre: 190cc swap, mx handlebars, bar end mirrors or other aftermarket as the cookies still aren't cutting it.

The Verdict: 92/100 I reccomend this bike for any gear head who wants to make a little franken monster sleeper mini. The ride is a moderate skill level requiring more situational awareness and defensive riding. The bike is hard to see and I have had a share of near misses, but once you get this machine built to your desire it will bring you at least a year of fun and maybe more. I will get back to you once I swap the engines which hopefully will be spring this year.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #2

Bike is really looking good. The 190 swap will really put some pep in the step.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-15-2019, 05:40 PM   #3

sweeeee-eeeeet bike.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:47 AM   #4

Do you do long haul? Can you strap the bike to the catwalk?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-16-2019, 12:35 PM   #5

Clearance is too tight so unfortunately no.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:15 AM   #6

Did your bike come with a license plate light? I just got some in that replaces your license plate bolt with led lights for the license plate. Who knew that was a requirement. :|

Now I need to find one of those reflectors... |

Old 01-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfpck View Post
Did your bike come with a license plate light? I just got some in that replaces your license plate bolt with led lights for the license plate. Who knew that was a requirement. :|

Now I need to find one of those reflectors... |
I actually had to make my own from kits sold at auto zone. I need to replace it again actually as it recently went out. Just ok time for inspection too .

Old 02-03-2019, 09:53 PM   #8

Yeah I hooked mine up... but going to pull the license plate LEDs back off. Just kind of annoying to have them and tons of wires sticking out from the rear.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #9

Link to buy

I have the same one!! Looking sweet man.

Did you buy it off Venom Motorsports USA or from Belmonte Bikes