Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2019, 01:15 PM   #1

Need some advice

I posted around a month ago about getting my boys Apollo DB-18. We've been out riding around the mesa and in the neighborhood. Been running really good with the Mikuni VM22. Great throttle response and good power. Well, this weekend my boy got to really ride the bike. We went out to a dirt track not far from the house in the mesa. We were out about 4-5 hours riding with the Apollo and his buddies Honda XR100. the Apollo puts the XR100 to shame. My boys buddy wants an Apollo now.

Problem is, near the end of the day my boy started complaining that the bike was shutting down on him. We thought it was his shifting as he's still getting used to when to shift as it always fired right back up and ran strong. I tried it out and when you are in neutral the throttle response is right on but when I put it in gear you lose the throttle response. It will bog and die when you get on it. I did have to reroute the throttle cable recently as it was rubbing on the triple tree and was started to cut the sheath. I still need to do some adjustment on it as it is not completely disengaging like it should but it is ride-able. Just hard to get into neutral when running. Could it be the clutch adjustment causing this or the carb needs adjusting now? Looking for some ideas as I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #2

Start with cleaning the carburetor. The air filter sucks that comes with the bike. I had the same set up on my Apollo 125, and the bike was running poorly after a few hours, and the carburetor had a bunch or dirt in it. I took the carb apart, removed the jets, and sprayed carb cleaner through everything, and the bike ran great afterwards.

Give this a try, and also look into getting a better air filter, or buy a filter sheet to wrap around the existing one.

Douglass

Old 08-05-2019, 08:44 PM   #3

The boys just took off on the bikes and the Apollo, right now, is running great again. My plan tonight was to clean stuff out and adjust the throttle cable. It's about 95% of where it needs to be. Just needs a little adjustment.

I definitely need another filter...and you told me that lol. I don't like this one. Just haven't gotten around to it. Think I'll order one tonight. Didn't think anything of it but I washed all the mud off the bike and the filter last night. And now it's running good again today. What you say makes sense. Just didn't put the two together. Still gonna pull the carb and clean it. Was thinking maybe a heat soak issue after a few hours also. You seem to know your stuff, Douglass.

Damn, it's hard to work on the bikes when the kids are always riding them lol. Gonna put on a LED headlight with a switch, Rectifier and voltage regulator...but the bike has to be here.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #4

which air filter would you recommend buying?

Old 08-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #5

I ended up going with just a decent priced two pack on amazon. Figure i'll probably get a UNI foam wrap for it as well because I live in the desert. Lots of dirt and sand here. Wonder if a K&N oil would help it also.

My boy said the idle seemed off on it when he came back in last night. Otherwise was running pretty good. Thinking like Douglass said, junk in the carb.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:47 PM   #6

do you mind linking which one you purchased?

Old 08-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #7

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1