Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2020, 08:50 PM   #1

About to buy a hawk 250 in Colorado, questions.

Hi guys! I have been eyeing the hawk 250 for a while now as a beginner bike since I have only ridden a few times as a kid.

I live in Colorado and love to go camping, I'm looking for a fun toy to bring along mainly for casual trail riding and exploring. I highly doubt I will be getting into anything more serious than that, and this bike seems perfect for it.

Couple of questions:

1. My house is at 5,000 ft elevation, and where I usually camp/ride is closer to 10,000 ft. Should I expect to run into problems with the carburetor? I'm a pretty handy mechanic, but have limited experience with carburetors.

2. Any tips, ideas or suggestions for a newbie rider, before he clicks "buy"

I found that q9powersports can ship me a Hawk 250 for 1399 out the door, which seems like a pretty sweet deal. Again, I'm a backyard mechanic so I intend to do any repair/mod work myself.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:31 PM   #2

I'm not familiar with the Hawk, but these days all these Chinese powersports products are coming in with sealed carbs. You can crack them open with a few tools to change the jetting, but you might be better of getting a new carb if you're riding at 10K ft. These bikes are jetted more for under 5K ft...They're jetted lean for emissions, but lean at sea level is better at 5K feet with the thinner air.

I'm a new rider and when I asked about getting a Chinese bike, it was recommended to me to stay away, unless I want to do wrenching... I've got most tools known to man, but as a new rider, I went with a brand that has local dealer support. Chinese bike parts seem hard to get, especially these days.

As for Q9, if they have it in stock, go for it. If not and it's a pre-order, prepare to wait. I've got a pre-order for a Tao Bull 200 ATV on pre-order since May.. Still nothing and have no idea when it might arrive. I'm just hoping I get the dang thing because all these Chinese Powersports dealers go out of business because of not having any stock to sell.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum!

Old 09-09-2020, 10:57 PM   #3

I bought the bike! And yeah, I am very much into wrenching so i kinda was expecting that going in, hoping it's not TOO much of a headache though, can't wait to get the new bike!

Old 09-10-2020, 12:32 AM   #4

Congrats on the new bike! At the elevations you've mentioned, you're absolutely going to have to re-jet the carb. I have the stock carb on my Hawk, and it's been just fine for everything I do. I saved myself the money and just picked up a jet kit rather than an entire new carb. Once you break into the carb (MotoCheez has a really good video on how to get into the 'sealed' carb posted on YouTube), it will be a little bit of trial and error. The biggest problem you're likely to run into is if you go from a 10,000' elevation down to 5,000' in one ride, and don't have the tools and/or parts with you to re-jet the carb on the fly. Again, if you're handy with the tools and know which end of the hammer to hold, it's not that big of deal to do, it just takes some patience and trial and error. Hope this helps!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 09-10-2020, 07:36 AM   #5

Welcome aboard! At those elevations on, a stock engine, the 98 main jet that comes in the carb may be perfect. If you do exhaust mods and a pod filter then you will more than likely need to re-jet. Opening up the stock carb is easy. Use a hacksaw or dremel to cut slots in the bowl screws to gain access to the jets. Then remove the cap the covers the idle mixture screw so you can adjust it. I ran the stock PZ30 carb for a long time until i ported and decked the head. Then the engine required a carb that flowed better for the mods.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-10-2020, 01:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
At those elevations on a stock engine, the 98 main jet that comes in the carb may be perfect.
This is kind of what I was hoping for, someone mentioned in the Hawk 250 sticky thread, that the carb is jetted pretty good for 4000+ ft. Here's hoping. Also I saw there is a replacement "mikuni" carb for only $50 so if I decide to tinker with the carb I would probably just swap it out for easier adjustment. So excited to get my hands on this new bike, for now, just waiting for it to ship!

Old 09-16-2020, 01:47 PM   #7

Welcome to here! I wish I had come across this thread earlier to warn against buying this bike, at least for Colorado. You will probably not be able to street register the bike, unless you had no plans to do so. Just throwing it out there, but it might not be an issue for you if you did not plan to ride it on public roads.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-24-2020, 09:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCoY View Post
I live in Colorado...

Welcome aboard!
Yoshimura RS-2 full exhaust system, Nibbi PWK30 flat slide carb, DRC Moto LED tail light, Mini H4 LED headlight, DIY windscreen and rear inner fender, Unipod 2" filter, Unipod crankcase 5/8" filter, Deleted airbox, Smart Turn and Brake System

Old 07-23-2021, 05:49 PM   #9

New rider here and new owner of a HAWK 250 in Colorado. The bike runs great out of the box. It was very easy to title with bill of sale and VIN verification. Going to register it soon.

Old 07-25-2021, 11:38 AM   #10

KDFMANN, from what I understood, in Colorado, a motorcycle has to be on the approved EPA/DOT list of highwy-motorcyles, the Hawk is not. (although the Hawk DLX is.) You can get a title but you can't register them...let us know if you are able to register...as that may mean they have changed their rules.