Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX4
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2022, 05:44 PM   #16

indeed.... I put the spring I bought for the Bike on it again it's a 500lb spring and I left the tempary new lower link on there the seat height is right at 30" now and there is no give when I set on it.... that should keep the tire from rubbing as there is about 3" between the tire and the inner fender well now. it will probably mean the bike will beat me to death again but better that than the tire rubbing !
when the bronze get's here I'll make the bushing for the new lower link and take the older new lower link out.... i made 2 of the lower links one without bushings and 1 with
so I'll be done with it at that point I think....
I really Like this RX4.... I really do but it's huge weight is a major hinderance to me..... it reminds me of the 1100 Honda shadow I had ! i mean this thing weighs more than the 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc I have.... by about 50 lbs ! and that weight is up high.... not down low like the Triumph ! ....
I guess i was caught by surprise although I knew it was 450lbs for a 450cc which is
very heavy by anyone's standards..... I think I figured that weight would be low i don't know.... but when the majority of the weight of 450lbs is at crotch level that's quite high ! I'll probably hang on to it unless someone offers me $5000.00 and then I'll sell it.... but I doubt that will happen I think most people would pay $1000 more just to get it brand new off the show room floor !!!!
..... all in all I'm quite disappointed. I wanted a bike I could take on back roads and forest sirvice dirt roads with ease.... not a big heavy cruiser.... I already got one of those !!!
..... LOL.... if I was 25 years old again, it wouldn't be a problem in the least.....
I think I'll save my penny's and try to find a 175cc or 200cc and fix that up for my back road bike....
it's getting almost impossible to find a 250cc 2 stroke and if you do they are not licenses-able.
Bob......

Old 06-18-2022, 07:34 PM   #17

If the weight is really an issue, then you might want to take a look at the Kawasaki Versys 300 X, or the KTM 390 Adventure. The Versys 300 X is listed at 386 lbs wet, while the KTM 390 Adventure is at 387 lbs. Both have similar HP numbers to the RX4, with the 300 X being a 296cc parallel twin and the 390 Adventure using a 373cc single cylinder engine.

As far as seat heights go, both of those bikes are still over 32 inches (32.7" for the 300 X, 33.6" for the 390 Adventure), but they have better calibrated suspensions with actual sag, so you may find them more to your liking in regards to getting two feet down. Unfortunately, 30" plus seat height is the price of entry for adventure bikes, no matter the manufacturer. Also, with the limited suspension travel that most ADV's have, they are difficult to impossible to lower without creating interference issues, as you have found out.

In the downside department, both of these bikes are sitting over the $6000 MSRP mark, at $6099 and $6199 respectively for the 300 X and 390 Adventure, so it will require a further investment on your part. All in, you will probably be looking at $7500 or so out the door for either of these bikes. Depending on what you can sell your RX4 for, you could be looking at another $3000-$4000 dollars invested to get something that you are comfortable with, at least if you go new. Keep your eyes peeled on Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, and Cycle Trader and you might find one used for less, but no promises there.

Old 06-19-2022, 08:10 AM   #18

KTM is a terrible mess on user forums and does not have a good reputation. I have a friend who owns a KTM and when asked about the quality, he said silence.

https://www.zontes.com/en/Home2/Default.aspx

Old 06-19-2022, 08:17 AM   #19

My brother had a KTM. He found that the superb handling, brakes, power, and suspension were offset by maintenance issues. Even an oil change was a major project. Valve check....forget about it...take it to the dealer. He was happy to sell the bike. Made his Ducati look better and better.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:22 AM   #20

Guys, I agree wholeheartedly with you in regards to KTM and their mechanical "issues", and truth be told, the 390 Adventure would not be my choice if it was me taking it out in the boondocks. However, in this case, it would fill the bill in regards to Bob's desire for a much lighter bike, one that he would be more comfortable on, and have an easier time controlling.

Given his low riding mileage, I suspect it would be a while before he would even hit any of the 390 Adventure's maintenance intervals, so pain in the butt oil changes or valve checks might not be an issue for him. From his posts, seat height and weight appear to be of paramount importance and those are the primary criteria that I used for the two bikes that I listed.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas View Post
KTM is a terrible mess on user forums and does not have a good reputation. I have a friend who owns a KTM and when asked about the quality, he said silence.

https://www.zontes.com/en/Home2/Default.aspx
The Zontes 350T looks interesting, but unfortunately it isn't available here in the US - Europe always seems to get way more Chinese motorcycles than we do here in the States. It appears to be really well equipped, with keyless ignition (I hate this personally), an electrically adjusted windscreen, a gasoline radiator (this is new to me), tubeless spoke wheels, as well as a TFT dash with multiple graphic display modes.

Still, the weight is up there, and so is the seat height, being 196 kg (431 lbs) and 800mm (30 inches), so I don't think this would fit Bob's requirements for a light bike that allows him get both feet flat on the ground.

Old 06-19-2022, 03:24 PM   #22

Zontes has two versions of the motorcycle height and for this price is very good unfortunately, but Chinese motorcycles go mainly to third world countries in Europe there is no Zongshen there is little cf moto, and Zontes 350 may appear and will cost about 5000$ I saw that this motorcycle has a very good acceleration only this electronics scares me, but the equipment has a top shelf motorcycles even has a variable map city and sport, and 160 Kmh achieved without any problem is some Chinese invention.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:02 PM   #23

Thanks for the posts guys ! I'll be keeping the RX4 unless someone offers me 5k for it.
and we all know that isn't likely to happen.... but I THINK i have the bike as sorted as I can get it now.... I have not ridden it sense I put the heavier spring back in it yet, but with the new lower link it is still sitting at 30" which isn't bad really...
as far as the weight goes.... I'll just treat it as a big street bike and everything should be fine....
.... I've had some House problems crop up on me and I've been busy trying to fix them
but even after all my hard work it looks like I have to buy a new well pump anyway...but at least I tried to save it........
so Now we have to haul water till the new pump get's here ! UGH !
.... it's times like this that make me wish I was still back on the Ranch... there were several ways I could pump water to the water tower.... electric with 2 ways and if that failed I had 2 gas powered pumps.... but this place is electric only and if the pump fails your screwed ! you just get another one.... ( this will be the 2nd one in 5 years !)
.... I don't have a creek I can go to and fill a jug of water either ! i did at the Ranch !
HAHAHHA OH well.... if that's the biggest problem I will ever have here I'll be happy !

I'm thinking a DR650 would be perfect for me older one, used not anything fancy
their seat height is higher though I think 34" not sure on that but the weight is 280 or so..... that makes them quite good in my book !
..... that or perhaps a XR250L Honda ....because it's much lighter than the XR650L Honda ( I had one of those )
so I am thinking Not an adventure bike but a licenses-able dirt bike now.....
Bob.......

Old 06-22-2022, 11:00 PM   #24

Ahh ! the Brass stock I ordered from online metals finally got here so I cut off a chunk and chucked it up in the Logan 922 lathe that is the exact age I am.... too the month even and cut it to fit then drilled out the bolt hole and put it in the new lower link I made and took it outside and painted it ! .... I might install it tomorrow and be done with it.
I'm still waiting for the well pump to get here I even contacted the sellers to see if they could speed up the shipping but that was a no go.... so, we wait
you just don't realize how convenient that tap water is till you don't have it any more !
thankfully I have a real nice neighbor that tossed his garden hose over the rear fence so I can fill my water jugs ! he's a life saver !
it was hot here today something like 98 degrees !!!
you guys out riding in the heat be careful it can dehydrate you very quickly and sun blind you with no glasses on..... been there done that ! i couldn't see much for 24 hrs
...last time I rode in the hot weather with out eye protection it's not just bugs it's that hot wind, that will dry out your eyes badly .
I had a cheepo thermometer I had on my 1968 honda 305 for a while the heat off the road can reach 210 degrees and hotter that kind of heat can and will kill you if your not careful ! not to mention 3rd degree sunburn !

Bob...

Old 06-23-2022, 01:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kelly View Post
it was hot here today something like 98 degrees !!!
you guys out riding in the heat be careful it can dehydrate you very quickly and sun blind you with no glasses on..... been there done that ! i couldn't see much for 24 hrs
...last time I rode in the hot weather with out eye protection it's not just bugs it's that hot wind, that will dry out your eyes badly .
I had a cheepo thermometer I had on my 1968 honda 305 for a while the heat off the road can reach 210 degrees and hotter that kind of heat can and will kill you if your not careful ! not to mention 3rd degree sunburn !

Bob...
When temperatures go above 90F, I usually pack it in as far as riding goes. In general, I seem to ride the most in the spring and fall, with a little summer and winter thrown in.

Currently, here in Ohio, temperatures are in the 70's F, with low humidity; for the past couple of weeks we've been in this pattern where we have a couple of days in the 90's with high humidity, followed by a cold front that drops things back down into the 70's. It can keep doing that all summer as far as I'm concerned, I won't complain.

Old 06-24-2022, 12:31 AM   #26

We are in a very bad drought again.... we just went through 11 years of drought and finally had a good wet winter and I thought the drought was over but we're not going to be that lucky... this winter we barely got any rain or snow at all... so we are starting out at last summers water supply levels.... the local lake here Lake Shastina is about 50% empty
and I've never seen it that low before... Lake Shasta the major lake for northern California is looking almost the same way....the idiots manage the water really screwy they say they have to keep the flow up to keep the sea water out of the delta for the habitat.... but I think people are more important than a few frogs !
about 2 years ago they almost stopped the river completely because it was that or millions would be without electric power in the heat of the summer.... common sense finally prevailed and then we had a real good winter.... it looks like history will repeat itself again here this year... no water is a major issue !

I lowered the TT250 about 1" in the rear and about 1" in the front as well and I can flat foot that thing finally.... I charged the battery but it is not taking the charge...time to replace it the good thing about that bike is that it will start and run with a dead battery !
it has a kick starter on it..... and as far as I am concerned every motorcycle should have a kick starter ! it makes them 10 times more reliable ! both the RX4 and Ninja 250R do not have kick starters.... if the battery dies on them they set till a new one is installed.
the Triumph and TT250 both have kick starters and as long as there is enough juice to fire the ignition they will fire up and re charge themselves....
when you involve the bean counters in designing a motorcycle I guess that is what you get.... oh well, LOL
I haven't tore into the RX4 and put on the new new rear link yet but I will soon
....I have been spending my time prepairing for the new well pump, so all I have to do is drop it in the well and turn it on.... but I know I'll be lucky if it shows up here by the end of the week ...more like next week.... till then it's haul water in old milk jugs !
that is a far cry better than having to haul water by hand from the spring about 1/4 mile away on the Ranch.... did that a few times ! ( all the time watching for rattle snakes ! )
I made a water tower there on the Ranch and that helped a great deal I put a 250 gal. water tank on top of a 12' tower on a hill by the house it took 15 to 20 minutes to fill it
and we were good for almost a week.... but waterlines pop apart, electrical power to the pump goes out, or gas motor finally gives up the ghost..... the best was a shallow well electric pump..... and 200ft of doubled up #10 Romex 3 strand wire the voltage at the pump was 98 volts AC not 110vac because of the long distance but it worked like that for decades ! ....
Yessir a Ranch is a place where work is never done it's a 24 hr a day job that never gets completed.... that's why I live in a house in a small town nowadays. LOL...

Old 06-25-2022, 06:35 PM   #27

Well, I got the new lower link on the bike...the one with the bronze bushing in it....
now I have to finish putting it back together, I had to take the exhaust headder pipe loose
,...take off the muffler and the bash plate under the motor just to get the bolt out for the lower link ! LOL.....but.... it is going back together again nicely...
it's over 100 degrees out side right now.... it is unusual for this kind of heat in this area
normially mid to high 90's is maximum heat in the summer....( was last year) but the first year we moved here it got to 105 here.... and that is way too hot for 3800'ASL !
.... i do hope we are not going to see those high temp's here again this year !!!!

I have been using my sizors jack that I welded a piece of 3" channel iron to, to lift the bike.... no need to get out the shop motorcycle lift !
..I just use the jack on the right side against the side stand on the left side to get the weight off the rear tire....

Bob.....

Old 07-01-2022, 05:10 PM   #28

The RX4 is ready to be tested again with the low seat height... I am concerned that I have the bike so low that it will rub on the inner fender well again but I have cranked up the pre load a bit so I should be fairly safe when it comes to that.
I haven't ridden it yet sense the new brass lower link was installed, but it is ready to go.
I did finally get water into the house again, I had to replace the deep well pump again
the last one only lasted 4 years, but I think that is mainly because the pressure tank is
not working right....the diaphram is leaking and is now full of water...so the pump cycles fairly fast.... about once every minute... which is not good at all, should be about once every 5 minutes when the sprinkliers are on full... i have 2 options on it, 1) replace the pressure tank (over $300.00) or 2) use the air hose and put about 60 psi in the tank and force the water out of the diaphram so it will work properly.... the problem is that is not a long term fix as it will get waterlogged again (full of water) in about 4 to 6 months , so it is a constant problem in the future.... and if you forget about it for long enough it will destroy the pump as deep well pumps can't handle being turned on and off frequently as a whole..... so I will try to do a combo of both use my compressor to put air in the pressure tank and save my penny's and get a new tank too....

Also I bought a utility box for the TT250 a box from harbor freight tools that cost $37.00 and was planning on mounting it to the rack on the back of the bike
but upon looking at it I think I'ed be better off buying another one and mounting them as hard sadle bags on the side... their the perfect size, all I'll have to do it make the mounting brackets !.
and the Kid really likes that idea alot so I think that is what I will do !.

Bob......

Old 07-15-2022, 11:32 PM   #29

well I just got back from a quick run to the store on the bike....
it worked flawlessly ... the tire never rubbed and it handled great as good as new.
( better sense it's lower now)
....so the 500lb spring and the lowering link I made did the trick.
....it was a bit stiff riding but not as bad as the stock spring...
.... I'm calling the bike finished ....
the only problem that I might address in the future is the side stand being too tall now.
I've already taken out 1" of length in the side stand but it could use more at the store , on the pavement it was very vertical.... too vertical for my liking
so I'll probably shorten it about 3/8" ~ 1/2"more
Bob......

Old 07-16-2022, 10:37 AM   #30

it's funny... everytime I want to go somewhere I usually want to bring something home with me.... hense the RX4 and it's boxes... when I went to the store yesterday I went for one purpose...to get a can of black Krylon sprey paint... and a gallon of milk....
....that was the easiest hauling home milk on a motorcycle I have ever done.... just open the top place the Milk in there...( lay it over on it's side so it wouldn't fall over) toss in the black sprey paint and close the lid.... it rode fine...
I remember getting a gallon of milk on a Honda 50cc one time.... I drove with one hand the other was holding the milk ! not the most optimum of setups ! LOL
that bike later got a milk crate attached to the back and I could bring all kinds of stuff home with me but things did have a tendancy to fly out.... Now I got a box with a lid !
..... HAHAHAHAHAH
...but the strangest thing I ever had on a bike was a 80lb sack of Horse grain.... and Our horse did not like to go without... but the truck quit at the mailbox 1.9 miles away
so I went and got it on the bike.... I wraped it in a small tarp bundled it up and threw it over the back seat on my Honda 50cc sport ( this one had a clutch ! WOOOO!)
i made it home with no problem but I bet it looked like I was hauling a body away ! HAHAHAH
.... then I want back down to help Dad fix the truck ! got about half way there and he met me heading home ! HA ! he hollered "yah it was the points !"
..... 2 miles of a creek-bed for a road had made short work of our vehicles in those days!
Bob......