Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2022, 07:14 PM   #1

Tbr7 front axle bolt size? Slight tire wobble

New member here. I have a 2021 Tbr7 I purchased this winter. Got my motorcycle license this year and have been enjoying driving it. I have never driven a motorcycle before so it took me a little bit to realize the slight vibration in the handlebars appears to be a front wheel problem. The front wheel doesn’t go completely straight when rotating around. At first I figured they shipped me a bent rim but I took the wheel off and everything seems straight and level. I did pull the axle bolt out and it appears bent to me. When using a straight edge it has a slight banana shape.

I also checked the tire pressure which is good and made sure everything was properly assembled. I verified both forks are at the same height.

Would a slightly bent front axle bolt cause this? If so what size do I need? I see a lot of bolt choices on Amazon. Mine seems to measure about 210mm from inside of the head to the end of the threads. It uses a size 17 wrench for the nut and 14 for the bolt head

Old 07-20-2022, 08:59 PM   #2

I'm not sure what's causing your wobble, but it's probably not the bent front axle. I wrecked pretty bad a few months ago and bent my front left fork at what I'm guessing was about a 30° angle. I took it to a muffler shop and they used their pipe bender to put it close to square. I still took a 3lb hammer to get it back into the triple tree. I also bent my axle when I crashed. I looked all over town for exactly what you said, 210mm bolt. I found nothing, I could get it online at like vmc or something. I took a framing square and a cheater pipe and bent it back to "square" in a vice. It's off, enough to need to be driven through the front forks with a 16oz hammer. I've put 1000 miles on it and I don't have a wobble. My front brake disk is slightly bent and I don't have a wobble.

TLDR: I'd check your spokes.

Old 07-20-2022, 09:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myinfo View Post
I'm not sure what's causing your wobble, but it's probably not the bent front axle. I wrecked pretty bad a few months ago and bent my front left fork at what I'm guessing was about a 30° angle. I took it to a muffler shop and they used their pipe bender to put it close to square. I still took a 3lb hammer to get it back into the triple tree. I also bent my axle when I crashed. I looked all over town for exactly what you said, 210mm bolt. I found nothing, I could get it online at like vmc or something. I took a framing square and a cheater pipe and bent it back to "square" in a vice. It's off, enough to need to be driven through the front forks with a 16oz hammer. I've put 1000 miles on it and I don't have a wobble. My front brake disk is slightly bent and I don't have a wobble.

TLDR: I'd check your spokes.
I’ve never checked spokes before but I watched a YouTube video and two spokes near the area where the “wobble” appears make a thud noise. I’m assuming I need a special wrench to tighten these?

Old 07-20-2022, 10:09 PM   #4

I never used one. But a wrench set I bought years ago came with comically small wrenches I gave to my 2 year old, who lost them, so I'm not sure what size you need. If I were you I'd use a pair of channel locks. If you can't make that work then buy a spoke wrench, they aren't expensive. Maybe $10 online. It's important to tighten them in sequence though, I wouldn't skimp on that.

Old 07-21-2022, 10:39 PM   #5

Think you have a bad tire, they come with the cheapest tires. Try a new tire,bet it will fix it . Stock tires junk. Good luck.

Old 07-22-2022, 01:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasky View Post
I’ve never checked spokes before but I watched a YouTube video and two spokes near the area where the “wobble” appears make a thud noise. I’m assuming I need a special wrench to tighten these?
You can buy a spoke wrench. In a pinch a small adjustable wrench can be used with patience and care.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 07-22-2022, 07:00 AM   #7

A 6mm wrench is slightly too large but it works. I tightened the spokes to the best of my ability and the wobble is a lot better. It’s still slightly there so either the cheap Chinese tire or rim are out of spec or I need someone with more experience to check out the spokes