Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2023, 10:47 AM   #1

Need information about the Hawk 250

Good morning everyone,

I am about to purchase a Hawk 250, but I have a few questions before I do. The first is, the break in stage. I've seen many mixed posts, some saying to use the oil that comes in the engine, some say swap it out right away, etc. I just want to know what exactly should I do? I'm sure the manual says something about it, but I'm also sure people disregarded what they said too. I know during the break in stage you keep your RPMs low, and lower speeds for I believe the first 500-1000 miles or so, but correct me if I'm wrong.

The second question is upgrades right away. Would a sprocket upgrade be something i should do while i put everything together after i have the bike delivered?

Next, would be the carb. I see people upgrading the carb saying that its essential, but should I do that before i even start the bike? And if so, or if not, what carb should i get? Theres nibbi and mikuni carbs and it seems that everyone has mixed emotions on them, and didn't really know the pros and cons of them.

Lastly is the digital speedometer. Not sure the pros and cons of this, but I saw it on amazon for a reasonable price.

My commutes I plan on making with the bike may be pretty long, ranging from 100-300 miles per week (give or take on weather). I have a car, but it does guzzle gas quite a bit and I want to combat against that in the warmer months by getting a bike. I plan on getting my motorcycle license in the next few months, but I want to get the bike delivered sooner so i can get it to where i want it for the summer, along with getting used to it.

Please let me know anything i should know. I really appreciate any help i could get on this. Sorry I asked so many questions

Old 01-23-2023, 11:25 AM   #2

Welcome aboard! You can find all the information in this post. https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20331
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-23-2023, 11:28 AM   #3

Go to the Hawk 250 resource guide under Dual Sport/Enduro section. All questions are answered.
IMHO change the oil immediately, drive conservatively for a couple hundred miles with frequent rpm changes without wot, making sure to get at least 3 good heat up cool down stages. Your bike will only go about 55, so change the front sprocket. Learn to fix the carb you've got before buying a new one; I actually have two China bikes, both with the original carbs that I've tuned. Follow Megadan's advice.

2016 Magician 250

Old 01-23-2023, 12:37 PM   #4

Well, I've changed carbs out on my fourwheelers, and my friends fourwheelers/dirtbikes, so im familiar on how to change them, but from what ive seen, the carbs that are on the hawk 250's stock, people have said that they are complete junk, and im assuming thats after they tinkered/tuned them. Would it hurt to just install a nibbi carb right off the get go? I may even do a CAI but im not sure yet on that either. I wanted to do that all while the bike was pretty much already torn down when i get it out of box to avoid hassle after i drive it.

Or is it better to just break it all in how it comes, and then continue with the upgrades after? I just want to avoid unnecessary work if I can from the start.