Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2023, 01:58 PM   #1

Our New Mail Carrier

Rant warning.....

I don't know about you guys, but our USPS here is downright lame. It's manned by mostly contract employees who use their own vehicles. For the most part, they actually seem to be ok. There are ones I see regularly and they take their jobs seriously. Even one of my closest buddies here is a contract carrier. He's 64, semi-retired, and does nothing but parcels for the USPS and Amazon. Now comes the new actual, USPS employee who replaced our last carrier.

This dude is AWFUL! I get it! It's going to take him a while to get the route down but it's now been a while, and he still sucks! We are toward the end of his route and he blows us off all the time! Not only that but at least twice a week I'll open the mailbox and I'll have not just my mail, but neighbors mail, as well!

Then there's the deliveries. I get up, check Amazon and Ebay for parcels arriving and I'll see, "Out for delivery". COOL! Then nothing shows up! I check Amazon...."Unable to access for delivery" WHAT!? Our house is RIGHT ON THE ROAD!

Last night was especially infuriating. "Out for delivery" was the Amal carb upgraded float needle I've been waiting on so I can put the carb back on the BSA. We left the house to go to the store for Friday night, like we do most evenings and I knew the needle should be in my mailbox when we got home. Wwe pull up to the mail box two hours later. There was a piece of junk mail BUT NO NEEDLE!

I check Ebay when we got inside, "Unable to access delivery"! WTF!? It's a freaking needle! It won't fit in the mailbox!? What a jerk...... I'm at my wits end here guys. I mean, what if it was one of my many meds I was waiting on?????????? Just because I'm towards the end of his route doesn't make my s--t any less important. "Rain, sleet, snow, or dark of night", my ass!!!

Time to go to the Post Master and file a complaint. This new dude may have talents that could be used elsewhere by the USPS, but being a letter carrier isn't his gig.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-21-2023, 03:00 PM   #2

Are you only getting packages from Amazon via the USPS? I had the same problem with Amazon drivers when I moved to this house. The solution was to make sure that my house number ID'd my house on Google Earth. Once I fixed that, the problem stopped.

As far as actual mail, our delivery people are good. I'm now in a small rural town. But at my last address in St Louis it was very hit and miss, I fairly often got other people's mail, and a couple of times had to track down my own mail. The regular route person was good, but when we got substitutes, anything could happen.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 01-21-2023, 03:53 PM   #3

Yes, 2LZ, you need to file a complaint with the local postmaster. I'm willing to bet you aren't the only one getting passed by.

My mom went from a mail carrier, to a clerk, to a postmaster. Way back when she delivered mail in our 59 Rambler wagon, with a standard trans, the only excuse she was allowed to use for not delivering mail was if the mail box could not be accessed. Even then, she'd usually carry the mail to the door if she knew the people well enough.

When she was a postmaster, what you are experiencing would not fly. She didn't have the nickname, "Scary Shirley" for nothing.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-21-2023, 11:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Yes, 2LZ, you need to file a complaint with the local postmaster. I'm willing to bet you aren't the only one getting passed by.

My mom went from a mail carrier, to a clerk, to a postmaster. Way back when she delivered mail in our 59 Rambler wagon, with a standard trans, the only excuse she was allowed to use for not delivering mail was if the mail box could not be accessed. Even then, she'd usually carry the mail to the door if she knew the people well enough.

When she was a postmaster, what you are experiencing would not fly. She didn't have the nickname, "Scary Shirley" for nothing.
Got screwed again today. Empty mailbox. Both http://www.ebay.com and Amazon sent me emails "Delivery attempted". I'm done with this guy.....and yes, there have been lots of complaints. We need a "Scary Shirley".

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-27-2023, 09:10 PM   #5

Sounds like you’ve got a contract carrier, most of the rural carriers here have metrice (sp?) vans.
If that’s the case, not much you can really do. They’re not even really postal employees-they work for the person that owns the route.
With rural delivery you’re kinda hosed. They aren’t required to go to your box every day like a city carrier is, and when it comes to being undeliverable they can simply claim your dog/stray dog was out making it unsafe for delivery.
However the Postmaster should be able to track the carriers daily progress via the gps tracking on their scanners. They can see with great accuracy where the carrier is, where he’s gone, and where they scan parcels-so if the carrier is scanning your packages “delivery attempted” at the office before he even leaves for the route, he can get busted.
How long has he been on the route?
Contract carriers are the worst thing that’s ever happened to the USPS, maybe second only behind the Amazon contract we got in 2013/14 ish.

>City letter carrier for almost 10 years
>NALC shop steward
>still with the USPS but now a building mechanic.
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350 “Trigger”

Old 01-28-2023, 03:56 AM   #6

Since the current postmaster has been on the job our previously reliable mail service has become unpredictable. We too get the unable to access BS. Sometimes USPS tracking shows package delivered when it wasn't, then it shows up a couple days later. Other times it never gets delivered so I assume USPS has a giant warehouse where millions of undelivered packages are stored.