Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #1

newbie to forum with question

I just wanted to introduce myself and thank you all for putting together such an informative site! I live in California and have family in North Texas which I visit frequently. Being a huge motorcycle enthusiast ( I own 4 bikes in Cali) I did a lot of research and purchased a Roketa DB-05 last year to keep in Texas to have some fun when I visit. My brother in law owns 150+ acres out there which includes a stream running through the property (makes a fun couple water crossings when rains) and a couple manmade lakes, a wooded area and grass fields, so lots of varied riding out there and that doesn't even include the 100 or so miles of dirt/gravel county roads that are accessible right down the street. I have about 700 very hard ridden miles on it right now and have had a couple minor issues, but less than I expected and so far very impressed.

I'm not as mechanically inclined but I have done a good many mods including the c-clip (much better idle!) remove catalytic converter type restriction from mid pipe ( though having slight issue huge performance boost on mid to top end) iridium plug and air pod/rejet. Not to mention general all the tips for initial assembly.

I really appreciate the time members have spent to provide step by step instructions on all the above and has been invaluable and not to mention a huge difference in performance, thank you....o.k. on to the questions...

1) I did the mod to remove the catalytic type device as previously mentioned (located mid pipe under heat shield) and rewelded. This was probably the best gain in power I noticed but when I welded back together I did notice that the header material is just not the best and inconsistant in quality meaning it was weaker in some spots then others. Lets just say it wasn't going to win the prettiest girl at the ball award. Well, it cracked after a hundred miles or so and I rewelded and cracked in a different place. I kinda figured this would happen and was wondering is there a honda equivilant header out there that is a match (hopefully without the catalytic thingy) to what is on the Roketa? I actually like the stock exhaust as it is not all that restrictive and don't see a need to replace.

Just a side note on this mod is when I opened it up I did have the steel inserts leading to the converter as many have come across and after talking to a couple skilled welders out there their thoughts were that they were placed their to help with some of the initial welding that was done in the exhaust in manufacturing.

2) my rear disc brake has become more and more useless meaning I have to really pump the brake several times and it will work for a couple seconds then fade everytime I pump it. I have bleed the brakes, played with different fluid levels and my thought process is to just replace the "pump" by the brake pedal as it feels as it is not working properly, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dez

Old 05-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
I am bot aware of a direct bolt-on Honda replacement exhaust, but there are a couple after-market systems out there, not sure if they include the header though.

As for the brake issue, if the same chinese fish oil is still in it, I would drain it and refill it with DOT3 or 4 fluid and bleed it well.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 05-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
And welcome!

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 05-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #4

Thanks for the idea liverchip.... I'll be flushing both the front and back brakes

Old 05-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #5

Welcome! We are pleased to have you join us.

LC gave you a great tip; good luck with the DOT brake fluid!

spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #6

The header from an xr200 xl185 atc 200 might work. Also my rear master cylinder gave up. I successfully modded a honda cbr600 rear master to work on my bike.

It required shortening the plunger and using the lifan clevis portion. Also had to notch one of the mounting holes for the bolts to line up. The brake line was a direct fit and it not works great. Before I either had full rear brake or nothing.

Part off ebay about $20 in near new condition. Required about 30 minutes of effort to get on the bike.

Give the fluid a try first. Alot have been successful with that.

Allen

Old 05-03-2009, 03:05 PM   #7

Thanks Allen, I was eye balling some of the old xr200 headers on ebay and thinking it may work. I might just bite the bullet and buy one to try it.... Appreciate the tip on the cbr 600 cylinder too! Just so happens I think I have one at home that will fit the bill and I will try on my next trip out in a couple months.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #8

The cbr was the closest I could find.

Allen

Old 05-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #9

exhaust header

Hi Dez,
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
The header from an xr200 xl185 atc 200 might work.
Allen
I put a White Brothers Mini R-4 pipe for a CRF 150 on mine (2006 Lifan with the pushrod engine).
Direct bolt-on at the exhaust port, any header for that model should fit.

I still have the factory exhaust taking up space in the garage......... :wink:

Bill

Old 05-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #10

Thanks Bill crf150 it is!